Primers for AR15??!!!!!

John S

Is there a perfered small rifle primer for the AR15 - .223?

I have been told not to use the gold WSR primers, because they may be to thin and could cause a slam fire!!!

I am aware of the problems when using the wrong primers in the M1A and M1. In these rifle we use proven Remington primers.

What's the deal with the AR15?

For my AR's I load the CCI mil primers or CCI and now Wolf small rifle magnum primers. As I do with my M1A's I uniform all the primer pockets to insure there is no reason for a high primer.
Mark

AR primers

John S: When Winchester switched-over to their non plated primers (about 10 yrs ago?), I continued to use them in my AR's and did in fact have 2 slam-fires. Could they have been seated slightly "high"? Could be, but since then have used nothing but my older supply of plated Winchester, and CCI400 for many thousands of rounds, and never had another slam-fire. Winchester even advertised that the new primers were easier to ignite, so I think I'm justified in not using them in the AR's, but they continue to be a good "standard", not match, choice for my bolt & single-shot rifles.

I just bought a white box of "CCI No. 41 Primers for 5.56 Ammunition." I plan on using them as any other small rifle primers for the time being since I can't find anything else.

Confirmed

f d shuster and others.....thanks for the reply.

You have confirmed what others have reported.

What about using the CCI #400 primer in the AR?

Last edited:
ar 15 primers

I have shot thousands of CCI 400 through ar15's with very good results. I switch to milspec white box CCI's or 450 magnum primers with the 80gr 600yd loads as they handle a bit more pressure better. That said I have never blown a CCI primer in an ar15 on any other gun.

Try the Wolf small rifle magnum primers. Fired them in my .223 and they seem to have a harder cup to handle the pressures. I'm very happy with them. Available from Powder Valley Inc., or Wideners Shooters Supply for about $26 per 1K.

I use Wolf Small Rifle Magnum and have no issues with them.

Just remember that the Wolf primers have to be seated very firmly, or you may have some "fail to fire" problems. Other than that, it's probably the best thing out there these days, and fairly easy to find.

Been away from the computer, sorry. If you will check the archives, you'll find a good bit of info on this. Basically, the Russian primers are made in a way where you sort of seat the anvil as you seat the primer; it takes a bit more pressure & has a little different feel.

Fed 205 has worked well for me. All I could find at the time. Best group in factory DPMS has been .488 5 shot at 100 yards.

I picked up some Rem 7.5 because that was all I could find.

Back