primer seaters

I am a Poster Child

for a detonating Lee primer. I nearly blew my left thumb off with one of mine. It was my fault for not reading the directions. The directions say not to have more then 10 Federal primers in the holder at any time, I had nearly 100 LR's when it kicked off. Third degree burns and a seperated muscle in my right thumb; luckily. Could have been blinded or worse I suppose. READ THE DIRECTIONS AND ABIDE BY THEM.

I have two of the new RCBS universal ( Square primer holder and universal shell holder) units now which I like very much. I go over them with an old simgle primer model Lee sometimes to make sure I have seated the primers fully. The old zink Lees aren't bad. I just don't want to have to endure handeling primers one at a time.

The second safety issue with priming that I have seen.....besides the Lee detonating Federal primers, is people looking down at the priming tool and straight into the case while priming. A friend of mine was seating the last Fed primer with a lee when it detonated and had to make a trip to the ER to have some pieces removed from his eye. He no longer looks down at the case and tossed the Lee. It only takes once. It's kind of like loading black powder out of most powder measurers but generally with them, there's no one left to tell the story...if you know what I mean.

Hovis

I am sorry to hear of the Lee accidents, but glad they were posted. In the past, I have been Poo Pooed on this board for bringing up Lee's instructions. The post about looking down the case brings up one other point; it is a good idea to wear safety glasses when reloading.

I used Lee for quite a while too but but the handles broke sometimes and the the feed chute wears after a 4 or 5000 rounds and allows primers to turn over or sideways. My last replacement thum handle was a very loose fit and made priming a pain in the tail. Looked at the others and got the K&M. WHile I wish it had a feed tray I love it and will never go back to a lee.

Just reread the directions.
Treat as a loaded gun.
Wear safety glasses. Twice.
Oh, I did miss the part about the Federal primers. Directions indicate do not use. In the chart. Missed that too.
Glad I got my glasses.:D

Go with the K&M

I don't think you will go wrong with the K&M. Although I have used a Lee for years with no problems, Terry Meyer convinced me at the SS to use a single primer type. I got a K&M and have not looked back.

Also, after seating the primer, I use the tool to hold the case while I wipe the lube off with a clean cloth. I learned this from Rex Reneau. Good shooting...James

Back