Primer ring

BHB

I am getting a small circular sooty ring on my bolt . I assume that it is leaking around the primer. Is this affecting accuracy or am I just risking scoring the bolt?

I could be wrong but I don't think the leakage will affect accuracy. The thing about it is that in time you'll have a scored ring on your bole which some folks believe is a terrible thing. The rifle will shoot as well as ever with the deepest ring but you may be of those that think it's a disaster. Thing is....your thoughts are as important as a good shooting rifle. If you believe it's bad, it's bad or will be bad as soon as something else goes haywire.

Those dirty rings! "Whisk" them out.

But I digress. Maybe we have a subject here for another thread - head trips we lay on ourselves.

Anyhow, not meaning to hijack your thread. Carry on.

I agree with Wilbur. You are getting a little primer leakage. Over a period of time, it will result in a thin corrosion ring. But as far as being detrimental to accuracy, I doubt it.

Enough of my foolishness

I am curious now. What is the caliber, brass, primer, bullet, powder and load? Also, do the pockets seem loose when seating primers? Maybe these are brand-x primers and they are not exactly round or something, or maybe it's the brass? I have not heard of this before so I'd like to know more so I can avoid it.

leaks

I don't notice them on my bolt actions but my ar-15s got em. I thought the Winchester primers were worse because of the brass cups. The CCIs are so hard a light trigger spring wont hit em hard enough to set them all off. So your screwed. Federal might be a happy medium. Doug

to add to the questions are the primers backing out? how many times has the brass been cycled through. primer ring of soot on bolt face indication of loose primer pocket / or too hot a load. as stated in another reply slightly under sized primers although that is kinda rare

Back