Primer cratering in a Panda

A long time back, I blew a primer out of a case, in a double heat treat springfield that had an 03A3 bolt and the heaviest spring that could be assembled to the firing pin by strong hands and determination. As you may know the Springfield has a .072ish firing pin tip, one of the heaviest firing pins around, and this one had a firing pin hole that was very well fit and square edged. In any case, although the case looked like a shotgun primer might fit, examining the primer, it had no creater, and was not pierced. Conclusion: you need a really heavy spring, and a springfield firing pin ;-)

Well back to the old drawling board, still getting createred primers.
I pulled the fireing pin assembly and checked my cases, and they are fitting fine. The bolt drops anout a 1/4 way down, and there is resistance as I close the bolt the rest of the way down. My bolt is a .072 diameter.
How does your firing pin spring test?

As stated in an earlier post I had this problem and all the people I spoke to that HAD the problem said they fixed it with a smaller firing pin and bushing the bolt.
I simply got rid of the rifle for a newer model.

Patrick....I had the same problem as you have about 10 years ago. I sent my complete bolt to Gre-Tan Rifles to have it bushed and the pin turned down. I'm sure there are others who do it but they were the ones I chose. He charges $75.00 + return shipping. The turn around was about 10 days. It fixed the problem.
http://www.gretanrifles.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
When I acquire a new (to me) rifle these days, the first thing I do, before even shooting it, is send it off to Gre-Tan for the firing pin work. It has never taken longer than six days from TN to CO & back. It has always eliminated or avoided all my firing pin issues. Kelbly's has been helpful, you might check with them on price and time to give them a chance to stay in the game. Bottom line is, git 'er done.

Rick

Back