Pre-bore and pusher.

three lines..hmmmmmm
A Haiku is a Japanese poem usually consisting of three lines (in its modern form).
The last line usually seems dissimilar to the first two in meaning,It is popular with American hipsters.
This is probably because 3 lines is the extent of their attention span.

Tim

You callin ME a HIPSTER??

A Haiku is a Japanese poem usually consisting of three lines (in its modern form). The last line usually seems dissimilar to the first two in meaning. It is popular with American hipsters. This is probably because 3 lines is the extent of their attention span. Tim

L-O-freaking-L Dr O........me, a hipster......

Furthermore it's typically Americanized to three lines of 5 syllabussess, then 7 syllabusses, then 5 again........

kinda' like posts 35, 36 and 37 ;)

Al,

Cool...glad to hear it's working out. Do you have much gear noise?

Justin

No, and the gears are wikikid square, still got broaching grooves on them. running it with the end open is scary :) turning it over by HAND is scary, I about cut myself inspecting the gears.....

No, and the gears are wikikid square, still got broaching grooves on them. running it with the end open is scary :) turning it over by HAND is scary, I about cut myself inspecting the gears.....

Al,

Thanks. I've got a few questions about em', so I'm gonna start a new thread. See ya over there.

Justin

Dave,

I also use a carbide 308 reamer. I think I've reamed over a hundred chambers with it in the last year, yet it still leaves a finish as if it were new and is spot on dimensionally (verified with gage balls and a Triebel throat gage)...although I'm quite sure I don't really take advantage of its capabilities. I run it at twice the RPM and feed rate over the HSS reamers. We just added a 1000 PSI coolant pump to one of our turning centers, so I'll have to give it a try with that setup and use a higher feed rate and get the chip-load up. I suspect it will give an even better finish, and no chance of picking up swarf around the pilot and scoring up the rifling with the coolant blasting by. Using standard flood coolant, I still must peck away for the last 1/3rd of finish length to keep from scoring up the rifling with the pilot.

Greg, I am curious what speeds and feeds you use on the turning center with carbide. I started at 600 rpm/.008" ipr with a 4 flute carbide and 100 psi of water based coolant through the bore. It cut amazing chambers but was a bit noisier than I liked. I slowed down to 450 rpm and it was dead quiet but seemed like I could still fine tune it at a higher speed. I was taper boring the chamber body .010" under sized as deep as I could reach with the small diameter boring bar. I moved my equipment and haven't gotten the new shop powered back up yet so haven't had any time to experiment. I'm always curious to hear how other people how others are chambering with turning centers.

Greg, I am curious what speeds and feeds you use on the turning center with carbide. I started at 600 rpm/.008" ipr with a 4 flute carbide and 100 psi of water based coolant through the bore. It cut amazing chambers but was a bit noisier than I liked. I slowed down to 450 rpm and it was dead quiet but seemed like I could still fine tune it at a higher speed. I was taper boring the chamber body .010" under sized as deep as I could reach with the small diameter boring bar. I moved my equipment and haven't gotten the new shop powered back up yet so haven't had any time to experiment. I'm always curious to hear how other people how others are chambering with turning centers.

I haven't used the carbide on the CNC, only on the manual machine. I haven't been confident using the carbide with low pressure water-soluble coolant, I don't like the way the carbide reamer performs with water-soluble coolant, even though it cools more efficiently than cutting oil. I've only used them hand feeding using highly chlorinated light viscosity cutting oil. Apparently the lubricity the cutting oil provides is necessary for the carbide reamer to work properly. I'll try using them on the CNC with the high pressure pump and the appropriate water-soluble coolant that will not break down under high pressure (most aren't made to work under high pressure). I typically run the HSS reamers at 35-40 SFM with 0.001" or so chip load, and 0.004-0.006 IPR. I've run the carbide almost double these parameters. These figures are for 416 SS barrels, yet interestingly enough I don't have to vary them much for CrMo barrels.

Back