PPC to 30br?

N

nonliberal

Can a PPC bolt face be opened up sucessfully to work well with a 30 br case?

Yes it could most likely. But why not consider a 30PPC or a 30 on that size case since the action is already set up for that case?

Yes it could most likely. But why not consider a 30PPC or a 30 on that size case since the action is already set up for that case?
I would consider it, I just dont hear alot about it or see it on many equipment lists around here. Is it competitive?

Of course, I just did one for my favorite 10.5 pound Farley, (had an extra bolt), and have done some for some friends.

What you might have to do is a little extractor work. Some are on the close side for a PPC, and when you open the bolt face up, the case will not hit the lead in bevel that most extractors have on the back side. getting this just right can be tedious.

I have a little carbide fly cutting tool that I use to relieve the back side clearance bevel if needed. You do not want this binding up on the case head.

You other option is to order a extractor from the action maker that will be compatible with the larger diameter case............jackie

Do you need the bolt to extract and eject both the PPC and BR cases, or is this a one-way conversion?

I ask because when I asked Kelblys, they told me that they could modify my bolt, and that it would extract with both cases. The kicker is that they said it would not eject both cases.

So, I'm shooting a 30 on a PPC-family case. I might get another bolt in the future, but I'm very happy with what I have. I'm happy enough that I just bought my second reamer.

Here is the deal. I currently shoot HBR, but the club has started having VFS shoot right along with us and it has become very intriguing. Pretty much all I know about it is what I gathered from the equipment lists, and a little from talking to the guys at the range. Trying to keep the cost as low as I can right now made me start thinking about the # of PPC bench guns I see for sale all the time and some good deals to be had. I was thinking it may be pretty cost effective to get a used HV PPC and rebarrel to a 30 cal to use for score shooting. Im not broke but money is a factor for me right now, so is this a feasable plan or am I going wrong somewhere?

SGJennings, It would be a one way deal, but now Im getting very interested in using a Grendal or PPC case.
Thanks for all opinions and help I can get.

Here is the deal. I currently shoot HBR, but the club has started having VFS shoot right along with us and it has become very intriguing. Pretty much all I know about it is what I gathered from the equipment lists, and a little from talking to the guys at the range. Trying to keep the cost as low as I can right now made me start thinking about the # of PPC bench guns I see for sale all the time and some good deals to be had. I was thinking it may be pretty cost effective to get a used HV PPC and rebarrel to a 30 cal to use for score shooting. Im not broke but money is a factor for me right now, so is this a feasable plan or am I going wrong somewhere?

SGJennings, It would be a one way deal, but now Im getting very interested in using a Grendal or PPC case.
Thanks for all opinions and help I can get.

I was in something like a similar situation. I didn't know whether I'd like group, score, or both. I came up on a LV 6PPC. I shot it a while as a PPC and enjoyed it a lot. Then, I shot a VFS match and was hooked. But, I didn't want to give up the ability to shoot it as LV with some work.

To make a long story short, Mike Ezell fixed me up with a 30 Major barrel and a weight system. So, I can shoot VFS with the 30 Major one day, then swap barrels, remove the weight system and shoot it as a LV with 6PPC the next. There are a few compromises to get that versatility.

I was very happy with the Major and Mike is building a dedicated HV 30 Major for my son right now.

Shoot me an email and I'll tell you what I know about the Major.

Greg J.

Butch has the best idea. I did mine with a drill press and a file. You only have to take off about .017 or so per side to make them work. They work fine in my Viper action.

Donald

Butch has the best idea. I did mine with a drill press and a file. You only have to take off about .017 or so per side to make them work. They work fine in my Viper action.

Donald

I guess, where there's a will, there's a way...but I shoot BR because I enjoy the game ,the comradery and the competition. That's just more work than has to be done, when I'd rather be shootin'. As long as there is a viable alternative, I won't be rebating rims. Shooting=fun. Case prep=not fun. It has been working well for me to shoot the 30 Major(Grendel). If it didn't work...believe me, I'd shoot a 30BR again or anything else that does. After a few years now under my belt with the 30 Major, I'm convinced that it's at least every bit as good as a 30BR, and fits a PPC bolt with no mods.---Mike Ezell

Last edited:
Donald, I though Jerry put a generic 308 bolt face on all his actions except the drop ports. At least, the ones I have are all 308, except the drop port on my Rail Gun..........jackie

When I was considering what do with my 6ppc rifle, I chose to go the 30major route. I considered rebating br cases but then I had to find someone with a lathe and the tool necessary to turn the rims down. If you have a lathe then its no problem. But if you're like many of us without one then you're at the mercy of someone else to do the work for you. I shoot VFS for fun and wanted something different and I have no doubt that the 30major can win.

Last edited:
When I was considering what do with my 6ppc rifle, I chose to go the 30major route. I considered rebating br cases but then I had to find someone with a lathe and the tool necessary to turn the rims down. If you have a lathe then its no problem. But if you're like many of us without one then you're at the mercy of someone else to do the work for you. I shoot VFS for fun and wanted something different and I have no doubt that the 30major can win.

It certanly can, go to the IBS site click on NEWS then click on score shooter of the year points, scroll down to VFS and see Mike Ezell up near the top, he shoots a 30Major.

Dan Honert

Jim ain't Bird Turdin ya. I bought one of his rifles recently and it is the best HV rifle I have owned to date.

Interchangeable

I just use different bolt face bushing and different extractors for my bench guns. This allows a bolt to go all the way from a .222 to a belted mag size case. It can still eject the full size range of cases if I wanted.

Michael

Back