Power flush

killswitch505

Howdy from New Mexico!!! Being my first post I’ll tell y’all a bit about my self. I started chambering rifles a couple years ago when I couldn’t find a local gunsmith without a 9 month lead time. Thinking how hard could it really be I bought a lathe a mill and tens of thousands of dollars later I had my first 6.5x47L. I’ve been a lurker on this page for a couple years now the wealth of information on this page has saved my ass a time or ten so thanks y’all. My question is about power flush systems Maybe y’all could save me some time and a bit of money. I’m going through a bunch of my junk at work I found a hydraulic pump and an electric motor I think would work great for a power flush system. I can’t say I’ve seen anyone using them on this page. Why is that? I’m only doing around 10 barrels a year and things might pick up some but that’s doubtful as I’m not really pushing anything. I’m thinking I could build the system with only being out of pocket a couple hundred bucks. I’ve not had any issues chambering without a flush system. So my question is if you could build or buy one for a couple hundred bucks would you? do you think you’d actually use it if you did? Or would it be one of those tools that gets used once and never again?

Howdy from New Mexico!!! Being my first post I’ll tell y’all a bit about my self. I started chambering rifles a couple years ago when I couldn’t find a local gunsmith without a 9 month lead time. Thinking how hard could it really be I bought a lathe a mill and tens of thousands of dollars later I had my first 6.5x47L. I’ve been a lurker on this page for a couple years now the wealth of information on this page has saved my ass a time or ten so thanks y’all. My question is about power flush systems Maybe y’all could save me some time and a bit of money. I’m going through a bunch of my junk at work I found a hydraulic pump and an electric motor I think would work great for a power flush system. I can’t say I’ve seen anyone using them on this page. Why is that? I’m only doing around 10 barrels a year and things might pick up some but that’s doubtful as I’m not really pushing anything. I’m thinking I could build the system with only being out of pocket a couple hundred bucks. I’ve not had any issues chambering without a flush system. So my question is if you could build or buy one for a couple hundred bucks would you? do you think you’d actually use it if you did? Or would it be one of those tools that gets used once and never again?

If I chamber five barrels in a year, it's a big year for me. I built a flush system, using a hydraulic gear pump, and it cost me ~$500. (Didn't have much on hand except some random copper pipe.) I love it, have never regretted it, and wouldn't chamber without one again except in desperation.

GsT

Do a search up in the top right hand corner for "Barrel Flush System" and a lot of information will come up about design and use. That may help you get started

I don't use a high pressure

pump. Just use the pump that probably came with the lathe. Greg Tannel makes a good easy to use setup for the muzzle end. Look up Gre-Tan Rifles. I also run the oil through a hyd filter before it gets to the bbl. I am using a light sulfur cutting oil with some moly-dee mixed in. Not sure what the water-base fluid guys are using. I get great results and I do quite a few bbl's so it's a valid idea for you to try.

Richard

Thanks for the reply’s I will definitely do a better search of the forum.

GsT, how you doing man I think we’re on a couple forums together!! Would you mind sharing some pictures of your setup? What sis you use for a swivel on the muzzle end?

Richard, I’ve bought a few things off of Greg over the years seems like a super nice guy his is set up where I got the idea from. I’ve hydraulic and gear oil pumps I was thinking about 20 ish psi.

Dennis

I built mine from a carbonation pump and use water based coolant in mine. I had to actually lower the pressure by replacing the spring in the bypass section of the pump. At shutoff head, I think it maxes at about 20 psi, but it moves a ton of coolant.

mPjqQHuqos-JK800m_wOlvoPTTTlOJrZqYn7blf0ddEsYt8UxPQEfNwdP_wHB  Xd3WPdXHw_0YfTGuvRwyN-NZ4Bgpju_QjeIaFIYQTa1pAl6gZMgl4mmANz7pZLQ5norTe-8as2GUiRY3I2UyNLFBVAaPfYOnJLH2cootw4O2H6ReZ37eC1IR  Sp3mGqopc1TGohQWnNLpVd8hGCru7NYhhiTMSExDzHEaawFrji  fIoD4VDyLXAjkgJinosQRPsJFdjqU8xhOE3RacgoJyh8TB0RES  D6vnPxS4HqRbj8uozpwFejF62UzCU1nEU4QvjipqoxcEsyE4AV  ALjDvVt0UTBvNHRt3p_kVl5W-PPn6xCFFBykzfF0kI4JFsI6jAzYLrHqcVsNaUYxC4WeB8LZJ4s  wjL3uQT9fqvnN9vnhQHpU8Vt7tZYjQO6y9lloiiy0UT0W2C4SO  vAaS7Q7QIcX15lg-dwaDBCw3hel6sPvl63Cm2NV__2_iw-6VQCQYP06f_Tssum-Bktz3vdtGAOTLrvMi0kdvxXHXDEn1URMsPtCsbWOfBH3kusO8b  RmFh3c87rynI-P1WLd8AffcP1R-fzZgSR8XniHiNNQAibpuffuydbrLly8tZbY22X5FmQUmbA0kQT  7R71ewxNJCWjQeptimyS8OHj2j-fu_9GIwmQ0v5Sz0egqSn-GhXw=w1024

uaeQbloYSN5b_pB4nBTyHXkJpSmuzytR8Cct9UNop3FRnXItD5  72o_By0IfpawuoXmp2Qp-MV_Z5GwHN-pzSwT_xxiyBWe1JygjGVqSZ986ovqfSBtRY0sOXh2BDlVAieWg  4dZ8hz9nnFgBT_86OeKNgBRuWtg8oEiSZWzg_YLqz4z9Zew7nS  SdX6bhR0E-gMvApvTHNU9x7OB-8DRHpQ7AoYi99P61-13kBDyMhb0ArWIcVTP1DNRfuKxyGeHu6fvbbtpxKmSsTSq6Fdt  Dm1UxdFTyUoieWIapaXoqGIDlmdfpQGK0SZeV7teP_enCU7LzJ  NTg0-btxv39ndtbuvNkbjxr-81TlbbWiZPL8JoPiPWVWQwz0h_7daJ6vRQH3nX3ivCjIvGGaTu  rlJTqLF4mZ4FAc4JMdGooAXl-tUoXznO3EaIvkkVjM66VtAWXpOS9P6GBfGMli2caPqGGKkzhC3  72wbS3ZXQrjQaLIkdEpAzmIPXRV3b3RG-NHvuue2pHz0Bfvj3zDMDN_LDuZDQl29SXOmt1-R9afPts0RyB5BF7vCxmHBNw-MxkvO-cFmGn4M_rzh0dbMK943evxMAstcRUznbZubzZ5kJf4fJFj0oho  Mj1TY2Z_cI35b05aIEDpZa4uj1b5hgSaHRRH8XbdF19GgR8h5f  0lnqgMNxWfEXc0ax0tw8Z34A=w1024

Here's a video of the system in action. Note my hi-tech splash guard:

Gene, nice set up man tell me a bit about that swivel if you would please

My system uses a Dueblin rotary union like the one Gene Poole shows. I've heard that a regular air-line swivel works just as well and they can be had pretty cheap. Got the union from eBay.

I can't seem to post any pics. I've got a 'Manage Attachments' button, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Anyone know why?

GsT

I built mine from a carbonation pump and use water based coolant in mine. I had to actually lower the pressure by replacing the spring in the bypass section of the pump. At shutoff head, I think it maxes at about 20 psi, but it moves a ton of coolant.

mPjqQHuqos-JK800m_wOlvoPTTTlOJrZqYn7blf0ddEsYt8UxPQEfNwdP_wHB  Xd3WPdXHw_0YfTGuvRwyN-NZ4Bgpju_QjeIaFIYQTa1pAl6gZMgl4mmANz7pZLQ5norTe-8as2GUiRY3I2UyNLFBVAaPfYOnJLH2cootw4O2H6ReZ37eC1IR  Sp3mGqopc1TGohQWnNLpVd8hGCru7NYhhiTMSExDzHEaawFrji  fIoD4VDyLXAjkgJinosQRPsJFdjqU8xhOE3RacgoJyh8TB0RES  D6vnPxS4HqRbj8uozpwFejF62UzCU1nEU4QvjipqoxcEsyE4AV  ALjDvVt0UTBvNHRt3p_kVl5W-PPn6xCFFBykzfF0kI4JFsI6jAzYLrHqcVsNaUYxC4WeB8LZJ4s  wjL3uQT9fqvnN9vnhQHpU8Vt7tZYjQO6y9lloiiy0UT0W2C4SO  vAaS7Q7QIcX15lg-dwaDBCw3hel6sPvl63Cm2NV__2_iw-6VQCQYP06f_Tssum-Bktz3vdtGAOTLrvMi0kdvxXHXDEn1URMsPtCsbWOfBH3kusO8b  RmFh3c87rynI-P1WLd8AffcP1R-fzZgSR8XniHiNNQAibpuffuydbrLly8tZbY22X5FmQUmbA0kQT  7R71ewxNJCWjQeptimyS8OHj2j-fu_9GIwmQ0v5Sz0egqSn-GhXw=w1024

uaeQbloYSN5b_pB4nBTyHXkJpSmuzytR8Cct9UNop3FRnXItD5  72o_By0IfpawuoXmp2Qp-MV_Z5GwHN-pzSwT_xxiyBWe1JygjGVqSZ986ovqfSBtRY0sOXh2BDlVAieWg  4dZ8hz9nnFgBT_86OeKNgBRuWtg8oEiSZWzg_YLqz4z9Zew7nS  SdX6bhR0E-gMvApvTHNU9x7OB-8DRHpQ7AoYi99P61-13kBDyMhb0ArWIcVTP1DNRfuKxyGeHu6fvbbtpxKmSsTSq6Fdt  Dm1UxdFTyUoieWIapaXoqGIDlmdfpQGK0SZeV7teP_enCU7LzJ  NTg0-btxv39ndtbuvNkbjxr-81TlbbWiZPL8JoPiPWVWQwz0h_7daJ6vRQH3nX3ivCjIvGGaTu  rlJTqLF4mZ4FAc4JMdGooAXl-tUoXznO3EaIvkkVjM66VtAWXpOS9P6GBfGMli2caPqGGKkzhC3  72wbS3ZXQrjQaLIkdEpAzmIPXRV3b3RG-NHvuue2pHz0Bfvj3zDMDN_LDuZDQl29SXOmt1-R9afPts0RyB5BF7vCxmHBNw-MxkvO-cFmGn4M_rzh0dbMK943evxMAstcRUznbZubzZ5kJf4fJFj0oho  Mj1TY2Z_cI35b05aIEDpZa4uj1b5hgSaHRRH8XbdF19GgR8h5f  0lnqgMNxWfEXc0ax0tw8Z34A=w1024

Here's a video of the system in action. Note my hi-tech splash guard:

Gene,

What brand of floating reamer holder is that?

Justin

Through the bore coolant/oil is absolutely, 100% worth it if you are doing one a year or one hundred. A hydraulic pump, depending on what it was from, is probably way overkill. But it it’s free, and you can piece together the rest of the components, mainly a relief valve, I’d give it a go.

I use the 1hp coolant pump that came with my machine. It makes 35psi, but I’m not sure the actual flow rate. I’d guess it’ll fill up a 5 gallon bucket in a minute or two. I use a water based coolant with great results. It flows amazing with grooved carbide bushings, but still flows fine around non-grooved HSS bushings. I even quit notching the retaining screw heads as I didn’t find any real world benefit.

This video is with a HSS reamer and unmodified retainer screw head.

https://www.facebook.com/772791756090183/videos/1272730762762944/

Last edited:
Can’t seem to find my post from a few years ago but I thought I posted it on this site. Anyways I used a cheap harbor freight water pump 3/4hp that puts out maybe 40spi. I use 4gal of dark sulfur cutting oil and a gallon of automatic trans fluid. I only chamber barrels for myself and couldn’t imagine doing it with out the flush system now. It’s clears chips very easy and I’m not in a hurry so I don’t take that deep of cuts but it sure seems like it helps the reamer. I also use filters to filter out the fine cuttings. I recently changed out the filters and I can say they are a must! A lot of fine cuttings In the filter housings

Attachments

• F3314B09-4492-44D7-8AC4-09D035E65F71.jpeg
    F3314B09-4492-44D7-8AC4-09D035E65F71.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 240
Thanks for all the reply’s y’all its way more common than I thought it was. the way I have doing the search just reading the popular or most replays nothing was really coming up.

Danny I actually found your post a couple days ago i really dig your build I like how it’s mobile that’s a direction I think I’m going to go with mine.

Gene, thanks man I will be keeping an eye out on eBay

Rubicon, thanks for posting the video that was super impressive I wish My lathe had an inboard coolant pump!!! After seeing that I’m going to have to do this.

Back