Powder Question

Bijagos

I ended up with a 15" twist barrel in .30BR,

I´ll begin by shooting using available componentes ; vitahvuori and 135gr bullets,

My question is; will N130 be ok for this bullet weight or shall I move to a slower powder (like N133) ?

I will appreciate your experience,
Lois

In my 30BR with H4198, which I believe is a little faster than N130 although not by much, and 125-10 ogive bullets, I had difficulty getting much over 2900 f/s. With a 135, I would think it would be even less likely to get to 2900. I think you are on the right track thinking slower powder. Benchmark may also be a possible choice.

I´ll begin by shooting using available components ; vihtavuori and 135gr bullets,

My question is; will N130 be ok for this bullet weight or shall I move to a slower powder (like N133) ?

Lois

My experience and the experience of many say:

The 17" or 18" twist barrel, H4198 powder, and the 112, 118, 125, gr bullets are the non-handicapping combination/components for the 30BR. With the greater nod going to the 118.

You're behind the 8-Ball right now.

This article will get you prepped and back on track if you intend to compete the 30BR: http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/30br/ :)

Last edited by a moderator:
powder question

You just have to work the loads up hers what i have been getting with my 30 BR with a 16 twist.
Of course i'm using H4198 34.2 gr and a 130 gr bullets are giving me 3100 fps with good accuracy.
I like the idea of you using a 15 twist. My friend has a rifle built with a 14 twist,he shoots 150 gr bullets with good accuracy.
Both hold the 10 ring on a 100 yd benchrest target with 3 and 5 shot groups.

Gerry, that is interesting. I am shooting 34.4 grains of H4198 (2012 lot) with 118-7 1/2 ogive bullets and my chrono reads 3060-3080 fps. You are using less powder, much heavier bullet, and going 25-40 fps faster.

Shoot up the 135's but do not buy more unless you find a load that simply shoots lights out. They are a little heavy to get moving the desired 2900-3000fps with a BR sized case. Since you have a 15t barrel that part of the equation may like the 135's but probably in a bigger case like a 30x47. N130 as Randy alluded probably will not get the bullet going fast enough but it is certainly worth a try. Approach maximum load cautiously you will likely need N133 or N135.
Dick

Last edited:
Powder question answered

I´ll be testing carefully with the N130 and the 135gr bullets available and if it not happy, with a slower powder.
I´m just a beginner trying to put “all the stuff” together to begin shooting my rifle .
Where I live in Europe, some bullet weights/profiles are very scarce and imported custom made bullets in .30cal .....still have to find them .( Not to talk about shipping permissions among countries, yes, even for inert components. )
I would like to try the 125gr bullets in my 15” twist but the only ones available, factory made, where the 125gr Sierra OTM wich I believe (have understood) they could be too long for the matter. The Speer 125 TNT have not been available and the 125 FB Berger´s have been discontinued and long gonne form the shelves.

Congratulations to “Benchrest Central” and to all that are sharing knowledge in this "top" fórum .

Lois

Sierra has a .30 cal 125 flat base Matchking bullet. I got a box of 500 a couple of days ago from Powder Valley. I just looked and they're still showing them in stock. OOPs, I see you considered them. On the Sierra site reviewers say they are the "go to" bullet for the 300 blackout. Don't know much about that cartridge, but I think it's a necked up .223. If that bullet in that case can be fed from an AR-15 magazine, then it shouldn't be too awfully long. Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable than me can chime in.

I´ll be testing carefully with the N130 and the 135gr bullets available and if it not happy, with a slower powder.
I´m just a beginner trying to put “all the stuff” together to begin shooting my rifle .
Where I live in Europe, some bullet weights/profiles are very scarce and imported custom made bullets in .30cal .....still have to find them .( Not to talk about shipping permissions among countries, yes, even for inert components. )
I would like to try the 125gr bullets in my 15” twist but the only ones available, factory made, where the 125gr Sierra OTM wich I believe (have understood) they could be too long for the matter. The Speer 125 TNT have not been available and the 125 FB Berger´s have been discontinued and long gonne form the shelves.

Congratulations to “Benchrest Central” and to all that are sharing knowledge in this "top" fórum .

Lois

Back in the dark ages

I´ll begin by shooting using available componentes ; vitahvuori and 135gr bullets,

Lois

some of us started with 1-15 twist barrels with 30 BR's. We used N-130 as well as H-4198, just like we do with 1-17 or 1-18 twist barrels. N-130 is a super powder for the 30-BR. We went through a period when the imported did not import any and they decided to only sell it in two pound containers, then 1 pound containers. I gave up on it and went to H-4198 and Reloader-7. Reloader 7 is a great powder and some barrel-bullet combinations seem to prefer it to H-4198, from my experience, i.e. the current 1-18 Krieger on my BAT. The lighter the bullet, the less recoil and faster speed, generally.

Speer 125 TNT's are an excellent choice for "Factory Made" bullets. I have used them over the years and won matches using them.

Pete

Last edited:
Back