Powder for subsonic 223/5.56

TomD

e publius unum
I'd like to make some subsonic 223/5.56. Some research has me thinking Hodgdons Trail Boss is the best powder but I don't see it anywhere. Anyone know anything about availability?

From burn rate chart:

#18 Win WST
#19 H Trail Boss
#20 Win Super Handicap
#21 H International

Start low and work up the load.

There are a number of tools that can estimate charge weights.
QuickLOAD is one .

Last edited:
One youtube video tested Clays, Trail Boss and TightGroup, all Hoghdon pistol powders as canidates. I like the Trail Boss because it is sold in 9 oz containers because that is all they can get in a traditional 1 pound container. I'm nervous about 3-4 grain charges in a 223/5.56 size case and would like to get something to sorta fill the case.

One youtube video tested Clays, Trail Boss and TightGroup, all Hoghdon pistol powders as canidates. I like the Trail Boss because it is sold in 9 oz containers because that is all they can get in a traditional 1 pound container. I'm nervous about 3-4 grain charges in a 223/5.56 size case and would like to get something to sorta fill the case.

Stuff it full of kapok.

What you wanna do with a subso 223 ? hunt mosquitoes ?

I remember of the Russian and their 80 grains oversized 5.45 bullet. They quickly switched to 9x39, for terminal energy and momentum. Meanwhile, most everybody do it with MP5 9x19. A 300BO upper might be an option for U.

As far as "start low and go up", always ear the opposite for subso, start high and go low. A storry about jacketed bullets stucked in brl.

Back