Powder for .243/95vld

L

LorenC

Advice on a few powders that will produce low es, low temp. issues, and meter well on my old rcbs measure? Loading 95vld berger hunting in 24" barrel, 9tw, for br. Which should I start with guys? 4350 chunks pretty bad in the measure. I hear rl22 has temp issues? 4895sc might be a top pick to start with?

I'm wondering why you would even bring up accuracy Charles. Without accuracy there is nothing. Isn't it the one aspect of posting in this forum that doesn't need mentioning, it's such a given?

I'm glad to have the confirmation on weighing, thanks.
Thank you too, Alf.

I'm wondering why you would even bring up accuracy Charles. Without accuracy there is nothing. Isn't it the one aspect of posting in this forum that doesn't need mentioning, it's such a given?

I'm glad to have the confirmation on weighing, thanks.
Thank you too, Alf.

I had good luck with 35gr of 3031 behind a 95gr Nosler Ballistic tip. Gave a 1/2" group at 100yd. Also 45gr of H4831 did well with the same bullet with a 3/4" result. The rifle was a bedded M70 Win feather weight 243.

Best...virg

You can't get to much 4831 in the .243, long cut that is. An old groundhog hunting buddy of mine would just fill it full and cram a bullet in it, and he killed a lot of hog,s.

Loren -

If you want accuracy for long range, no matter what powder, weigh each charge.
Throw a tenth or two short and trickle up to everyone.

Also, the 95-VLD having such a short bearing surface can be very fussy. And hard to keep in tune due to erosion/advancement.

Happy Shooting
Donovan Moran

With double-base stick powders, the VihtaVouri 500 line seems better than the Alliant's Reloader line, in terms of consistency and temperature sensitivity.

I disagree...........

If you study results from 600/1000-BR, think you will see the "Big 6" being used and winning +90%.
The Big 6:= - Varget - H4350 - H4831 <> RL15 - RL22 - RL25

Happy Shooting
Donovan Moran

Loren -

If you want accuracy for long range, no matter what powder, weigh each charge.
Throw a tenth or two short and trickle up to everyone.

Also, the 95-VLD having such a short bearing surface can be very fussy. And hard to keep in tune due to erosion/advancement.

Happy Shooting
Donovan Moran

Will do on the trickling.
Is that true with all the different vld, or just bergers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that true with all the different vld, or just bergers?

Just the Berger 95-VLD is what I am referring to........
They only have around a 0.285" bearing length as opposed to say the 105-VLD at around a 0.379"
I have tried them many times over the years in several 6/.243 calibers. But always end up being happier when on 105/107/115 types.

Happy Shooting
Donovan Moran

Last edited:
The 9.5 twist won't handle bigger than 95 will it? I was thinking 9.5 trying to stabilize the 95's would be pushing it. Also, was going to try the hunting vld to start with. Are they the same worries? If I have to go down to a lighter or different bullet I will of course.

Since you brought it up Alf, what are the down sides to h414 in this story?

Since you brought it up Alf, what are the down sides to h414 in this story?

None, really. H-414 is the only one mentioned so far that meets your last criteria, metering. It may be a little dirty, and may be a bit temperature sensitive, but no biggie to me either way. I've found it's a great powder for most 308 based cases. It's my go to powder in a 7-08 with 120 Ballistic Tips at 3175, and a 260 with 100 BT's at 3275. I'm flush out of 243's at the moment, but was my favorite in the last 2 or 3 past.

Curious where you're located Alf? I'm in a fairly mild climate area but do shoot some awfully warm areas on occasion.

Back