powder/6 Br

6BR Powder

In addition to the 6BR web-site, Hodgdon's Reloading manual ($8.00), includes loads for 6BR. Also 22BR, and a lot of other non-standard ctgs.

someone correct me if i'm wrong but 14 twist is pretty slow for 75 gr v-maxs. probably have better luck with 58's or 65's.

i get great accuracy out of 75 gr sierra varminters but they are a lot shorter than the 75 gr v-maxs.

hope this helps

dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I have built a couple 6mmBR rifles.
W748 65 gr Vmax
W748 75 gr Vmax
H335 87 gr Vmax

With a 1 in 14" twist, I would avoid the 75 gr Vmax.
It shoots well at 50y, but sometimes keyholes at 100y.
It it right on the edge of instability.

Just got an 8 pound keg of Varget & Retumbo delivered to me from Bruno's. :)

Now I'm happy!!!

gt40

Since all you 6mm BR guys are here at the moment.

Hodgen's chart gives 2,649 fps max. for 107 gr. bullets. I use 105 Berger VLDs and I have read that you need to get up to 3,000 fps to get the best accuracy. They must mean much lighter bullets not the 105s.??? :confused:

gt40

Hodgdon's 6mmBR loads are ~ 50 k c.u.p.

There is no SAAMI registered max average pressure for the 6mmBR.

If the max pressure is determined by piercing CCI 450 small magnum rifle primer with bushed firing pin and then backing off a safety margin, then the max is more like ~80 kpsi.

well i guess i cried the blues just long enough... the gods must have finally listen... i just got a surprize.. a friend an his group have made a good size order [didn't ask where] on reloading supplies which i'll be able to get in on, looks like i'll be able to get a small amount of H322 an H414..... finally i'll to try this magic stuff you all speak of.. i can't say how long it'll take to get here but its kind a cold out anyway.. if this is better then W748 in my gun Oh-boy look out :)

Hodgdon's 6mmBR loads are ~ 50 k c.u.p.

There is no SAAMI registered max average pressure for the 6mmBR.

If the max pressure is determined by piercing CCI 450 small magnum rifle primer with bushed firing pin and then backing off a safety margin, then the max is more like ~80 kpsi.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Sorry Clark, but if this was a reply to my question above about getting 3,000 fps you went way over my head.

gt40

H322 and N135 have been my favorites in a slow twist 6BR for a while now. I shot berger 60-74 gr. bullets with H322 loads that all worked VERY well for me in several guns. A stiff charge of h322 and a 74 gr Berger,at the lands has been a go to load for me. Of course they quit selling the 74gr Bergers but the 70gr seem to work jus about as well. Try the h322 and I bet it'll shoot. --Mike Ezell

As Clark pointed out, the reload manuals stop at around 50,000psi...... BR guys don't even START there. Powder barely BURNS down there.... it's more like a sooty campfire than a nice clean burn! :D

Limiting factors for BR cartridges include primer pocket expansion, "ejector marks" or the shiny rubbed spot caused by brass being hammered into the ejector hole and last but not least "pierced primers," properly termed blanked primers..... Blanking of primers is caused by the pressure inside the case rising to such level that it punches a hole right through the primer cup material like a punch press. The hole is left by the departing slug of metal that used to cover the firing pin hole.......This action slams the firing pin to the rear, overriding the trigger bar and possibly breaking your trigger. The small disc of primer cup brass ends up inside your bolt and must be removed so blanking primers is a pita.

You will have to get up into the area outside the books to realize BR velocities, and accuracy levels. I like 2900fps but most rifles will also shoot decently somewhere around 2760. For many rifles the 2650 figure falls right between accuracy nodes.

al

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Sorry Clark, but if this was a reply to my question above about getting 3,000 fps you went way over my head.

gt40

Here is a map of that interaction:
1) You are matching bullets, powders, and charges and referenced Hodgdon's data.
2) I made an observational statement about Hodgdon's data.
3) I made an observational statement about SAAMI registration.
4) Then a logical syllogism, modus ponens, to establish a frame of reference for Hodgdon's data.
.a) The antecedent about bushing is common practice for 6mmBR:
http://www.gretanrifles.com/bushfiringpin.asp
.b) The consequent is observational from my experiments and Quickload predictions.
5) There is an underlying assumption in the purpose of my post, that with the option to go higher in pressure, more powder may be used, and more velocity may be obtained.

I don't know where I lost you, but based on my experience, it's probably my fault.

My father, wife, son, uncle, and cousins are engineers.

My friends are engineers.

The above nerd-speak I learned as a freshman at Highline Community College in 1969, logic 101.

As Clark pointed out, the reload manuals stop at around 50,000psi...... BR guys don't even START there. Powder barely BURNS down there.... it's more like a sooty campfire than a nice clean burn! :D

Limiting factors for BR cartridges include primer pocket expansion, "ejector marks" or the shiny rubbed spot caused by brass being hammered into the ejector hole and last but not least "pierced primers," properly termed blanked primers..... Blanking of primers is caused by the pressure inside the case rising to such level that it punches a hole right through the primer cup material like a punch press. The hole is left by the departing slug of metal that used to cover the firing pin hole.......This action slams the firing pin to the rear, overriding the trigger bar and possibly breaking your trigger. The small disc of primer cup brass ends up inside your bolt and must be removed so blanking primers is a pita.

You will have to get up into the area outside the books to realize BR velocities, and accuracy levels. I like 2900fps but most rifles will also shoot decently somewhere around 2760. For many rifles the 2650 figure falls right between accuracy nodes.

al

I guess that if I increase the powder charge until I get a "blanking" of a primer and a loose primer pocket and then back off a little on the powder I should be good to go and still have good accuracy.

My rifle has a 26" heavy tapered 1 in 8" twist Brux barrel and the best group with 28.3 gr. of Varget was a 5 shot group at 100 yds that measured .084" with Berger 105 gr. Moly Match VLDs. I am now using 105gr. Match Hunting VLDs and have shot quite a few in the low .1s and a couple in the .3s at 200 yards with 29 grains of Varget.

I am still wanting to know if it is true that 3,000 fps with the 105 gr. VLDs is possible. If it is not I will have it bored out to BRX specs. I would like to get it up over 3,000 fps for antelope next fall.

gt40

GT40
I use 28-32 inch barrels and the sweetspot for the 105's is around 2970 fps.My chambers have the same freebore as yours does and with Varget I am 0.2 grains from blanking an occasional primer.My load is 2 grains+ more than yours.Alot of guys are running at 30-30.5 grains of Varget powder in fireformed brass.Work your way up slowly making sure you are using fireformed brass in 0.2 grain increments
If you want more velocity switch to RE15 or 4350.
Waterboy

GT40
I use 28-32 inch barrels and the sweetspot for the 105's is around 2970 fps.My chambers have the same freebore as yours does and with Varget I am 0.2 grains from blanking an occasional primer.My load is 2 grains+ more than yours.Alot of guys are running at 30-30.5 grains of Varget powder in fireformed brass.Work your way up slowly making sure you are using fireformed brass in 0.2 grain increments
If you want more velocity switch to RE15 or 4350.
Waterboy

Thanks Lynn for the advice. I'll do exactly what you say and see how it works out.

gt40

Lynn do you mean that your load is 2 more grains than 28.3 or 29 grains of Varget?

Since you have a 1-14 twist..

the 75g V max may not stabalize, it's on the ragged edge.

I have a 1-12 twist on mine and shoot the 55's at 3900 fps into really tiny bug holes with AA2230 with a Rem 7 1/2.

The 65's are very accurate and have yet to check the speed,but it is fast with the AA2230.

Just tried some 75 v max in my 14 twist 6br. VERY poor accuracy at 100 and they were keyholing. This was with a hot load of N135.

Sometimes we can save a poor soul from wandering down a blind alley.......... Neither 322 nor varget are the preferred powders for the 600 yard BR folks I know here. Then again neither is N135, which I am using and beating most of them. SHHHHHHH

Your results may vary. And they will certainly if you are competing at 100 and 200 yards using a 68 grain bullet in a 1/14 twist. Experimentation is half the fun.........

Back