powder/6 Br

M

MrGee

howdy..
i will begin loading for 6 br shortly an only have varget & imr 4895 avaliable to me at this time.. can some one post min -max loads for each... it would be a hugh help..

lapau cases
7 1/2 br prm
75gr v-max b.tip

thanks

buy/use a reloading manual

You can also get free info directly from the powder mfg. Google for their contact info.

MrGee: I hope you CAN get your hands on some H 322 powder for your load development.
My 6mm Remington Benchrest Varminter just LOVES this powder.
I am using Norma brass, Federal 205 M (match) primers and either Nosler 55 grain Ballistic Tips or Euber 68 grain match bullets along with the H 322 powder.
Best of luck with your 6mm BR - I sure enjoy mine.
I have not tried either Varget or IMR 4895 in my 6mm BR as yet so I can't help you with those powders.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

6mmbr

I have shot 6mmbr quite a bit. I have the best luck with Varget. My current barrels are 1in8 twist and love 105 bergers. I had no luck with 75grs in my other barrels either.Remington 71/2's are good, Lapua brass is the only way to go. You will need to work up a load for your rifle/chamber. Pay attention to your seating depth and trim length. Start low (22gr) and work up, 6mmbr will sometimes surprise you with what would have been thought to be light loads.

varmintguy/captbill

thanks...
thats one problem.. locally i haven't found H322 is why i've asked for m-/m+ load scale on varget & imr 4895

barrel is 14tw... figured 75gr would be the heaviest to use
using what i've seen online i guess i could work on down from there
maybe a 1 shot latter for presser an the seat depth afterwoods

i've been to 6mBr an search'd powder mfg.:rolleyes:

howdy..
i will begin loading for 6 br shortly an only have varget & imr 4895 avaliable to me at this time.. can some one post min -max loads for each... it would be a hugh help..

lapau cases
7 1/2 br prm
75gr v-max b.tip

thanks

Varget is no good for your 6mm BR. Send all you have to me. Using it for my 6mm Norma BR. I have a big problem having most of the bullets hitting the back end of the previous bullets.

"Aim small miss small", :D

gt40

PS: Take a look here: http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

gt40

Ok... i'll swap ya for H322... i've got about 10oz left ... Lol's
actually i just found that same problem hitting the back of the bullets too ;)
using W748...
an thanks i tried hodgons site it was a go beginning

Varget in 6mmBR

I have shot 6mmbr quite a bit. I have the best luck with Varget. My current barrels are 1in8 twist and love 105 bergers. I had no luck with 75grs in my other barrels either.Remington 71/2's are good, Lapua brass is the only way to go. You will need to work up a load for your rifle/chamber. Pay attention to your seating depth and trim length. Start low (22gr) and work up, 6mmbr will sometimes surprise you with what would have been thought to be light loads.

I have to agree with the Varget piece. I have three 6mmBR barrels;
a 1 in 14" Hart, a 1 in 7.5" Kreiger and a 1 in 8" Kreiger. All the barrels are LV contour. I've tried other powders but keep coming back to Varget as I've yet to find another powder that does as well.

Lou Baccino

in a 14 twist

my 6br with Berger 68 grn flat bases LOVE H4895. I actually have used that 6br for group in some matches, and even though it will not beat the 6 PPC's, it holds it's own if I do my part.

THIS IS ONLY GOOD FOR MY GUN!!!! START LOWER AND WORK UP!!!

My load is:
Lapua brass
32.2 grns H4895
Wolf SRM primer
Berger 68 grn flat base
oal at 2.221 (just kissing the lans)
shoots 3400 fps in my 28" barrel

Attached below is a target when I was testing loads. It was shot with brand new brass. The groups have tightened up a bit since then.

Attachments

• deitz 32.2 dime.jpg
    deitz 32.2 dime.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 766
Last edited:
only have varget & imr 4895 avaliable to me at this time.

Both are excellent in the 6BR , posting loads , Maximum in particular is frowned on on this forum. I would as someone on this thread has already done suggest you look in a reloading manual.

howdy..
can some one post min -max loads for each... it would be a hugh help..

thanks

now if i had a manual with 6 br in it... do yu thinl i'd be asking for a max load DG
wasn't looking for a max load only

thanks Yote

;)

powder for 6BR

I believe Varget is at or very close to the first choice of those being used in the 6BR.It is my "standard" for medium and heavy-weight bullets, and N133 & N135 are both used for the lighter-weights. In addition to all the other sources of information out there, the August 2009 issue of "Handloader" magazine has an extensive article on loads for the 6BR, page 36, by Charles Petty.

Load manuals are sold by most every powder and bullet manufacturer.)chill:)rolleyes::)

Load manuals are sold by most every powder and bullet manufacturer.)chill:)rolleyes::)

well i see a manual is the order topic .. [hmmm! no one :rolleyes: has one..Lol's] i go back to the 43rd edition to the present 49th of lyman a late 80's sierra R/P w/ an update manual, i just past on the 11th speer manual to a friend in need... but non of mine show 6br's ...my loss.. need to get on it No Problem !
very new to 6br thought maybe i'd get a little info.. which i have from a few an i thank you... actually i've developed a couple loads of my own with what i have on hand in the short time i've aquired the rifle...

commenting on some responses here an other threads i've read in the past::eek:
i'm not sure why when a new person asks relative easy question [BRC the knowledge center of the inter-net/Ha..!] that you'd ignore it by saying in a way "go f"""k y"""self "buy a book "... maybe you think beginners are not worthy or maybe lacking good breeding.. than put your noses up for the asking for 'help'. i'm beginning to believe some of you fellas who imitate experts are really just social superior shoemakers that relish being braggarts or highbrow people ... just an opinion of )chill( thought.. :D

wanna Wish Ya'All..... Happy Holiday's an a Healthy New Year... !
:)
====================================================
howdy..

lapau cases
7 1/2 br prm
75gr v-max b.tip

thanks

well i see a manual is the order topic .. [hmmm! no one :rolleyes: has one..Lol's] i go back to the 43rd edition to the present 49th of lyman a late 80's sierra R/P w/ an update manual, i just past on the 11th speer manual to a friend in need... but non of mine show 6br's ...my loss.. need to get on it No Problem !
very new to 6br thought maybe i'd get a little info.. which i have from a few an i thank you... actually i've developed a couple loads of my own with what i have on hand in the short time i've aquired the rifle...

commenting on some responses here an other threads i've read in the past::eek:
i'm not sure why when a new person asks relative easy question [BRC the knowledge center of the inter-net/Ha..!] that you'd ignore it by saying in a way "go f"""k y"""self "buy a book "... maybe you think beginners are not worthy or maybe lacking good breeding.. than put your noses up for the asking for 'help'. i'm beginning to believe some of you fellas who imitate experts are really just social superior shoemakers that relish being braggarts or highbrow people ... just an opinion of )chill( thought.. :D

wanna Wish Ya'All..... Happy Holiday's an a Healthy New Year... !
:)
====================================================
howdy..

lapau cases
7 1/2 br prm
75gr v-max b.tip

thanks

Just GO HERE

http://www.hodgdon.com/basic-manual-inquiry.html

everything you need, 6 BR Remington is definitely close enough to get you started.

Dick

MrGee
If you go to www.6mmbr.com there are alot nicer bunch of posters over there who will help you without all of the fuss.
Varget is the powder of choice in the 6BR but 4895 from the various manufacturers has won its share of trophies as well.
With the lighter weight bullets you run out of case capacity to push them rather than maxing out with pressure so most shooters will go to a faster burning rate.I have all the reloading manuals and my loads are not in any of them.I would estimate that 99% of the guys shooting the 6BR on the 600/1,000 yard line are exceeding Hodgdons max load for Varget.
Wilbur has asked us not to post our loads so private messages have been real big with regards to pet loads.
Lynn aka Waterboy-

Lynn

Lol's .. i've already found that out an joined in on 6br... i'm just having some now or should i say making fun... i've pic'd up a lot useful info in three weeks thanks to all, here an there... i have to say again i didn't ask for max loads or personal ones, but just minimum an maximum of the load data scale, i respect that loads in ones rifle may not work or be a danger in mine ... maybe i wasn't clear enough [ i think i was] an i apologize
not knowing before i pick it up the rifle barrel is a 14tw an lite bullets is the way i need to go.. i don't think i'll be shooting past 500yrds, still learning to read the wind an such.. i am good to 300 so far with a fair group
asking around about which manual .. i did find what you said about "i have all the reloading manuals and my loads are not in any of them." is why i'm still without..
i now have enough working info but limitations of types of powder/primers in my area is a draw back.. when i do finally acquire that perfect load i'll order from suggested places.. by that i should ware out this barrel an move on..
a while back i bought a .30x28-17tw to build a switch hitter on this action, but funds will hold me back for a time, looking forward if i live long enough i would also like to add .22br.. crazy but what else do ya when you love to shoot...
i appreciate your come back.... thanks :)

Edit:
thanks dick... been there done that... but not much there..

imr

ww

re

h-
4831sc
varget

Last edited by a moderator:
I have three fast twist 6BR Normas; one likes Varget, the other two prefer RL15 with 105 Berger or 107 Sierra bullets.

Back