Potential Range Box

tiny68

I purchased a Tactix Roller Bearing Three-Drawer Tool Box from Cabelas last week on clearance for $29.99. It came today. I was looking a smaller range box than the massive pile of steel I carry around current. Dimensions are: 12"H x 20-1/2"W x 9"D. Top compartment is deep enough to hold my Harrell's measure and arbor press. The bottom drawers are tall enough to fit a Redding die box. Not the smoothest rollers on the drawer slides. It weighted 20.5 lbs, which was heavier than I wanted - but for $30 I find it acceptable. I think it is a fair deal.

Maybe this will help someone in need of a box. Luck, Tim

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1272366&categoryId=0&parentCategoryId=0&subCategoryId=0&indexId=0&itemGUID=f7b70e40ac101c52662f4d8a689055cf&destination=/checkout/basket.jsp

Tiny,
thats a good deal on that box I have one similar with3 drawers and I find it actually holds more than what I need.
In the top portion if you use an arbor press most of this style box will fit one laying on its side and I also put my harrell's neasure up there. The botton drawer will fit wilson dies in their box plus I put my electronic powder measure and primer seater in that drawer.Middle drawer fits powder measure stand and boxes of primers. Top drawer all the small tools. take your time and I used foam Rubber and traced out where I wanted everything and cut out the foam and glued a tray liner to the back of the foam. Good Luck with the box.

Sale price wise it is a better deal, especially if you are buying a new box.
Weight wise it weighs 21lbs and the kennedy 520 7 drawer weighs 28 lbs.
When I need a kennedy I go to ebay and pay a fraction of the retail price.

I personally always seem to do everything the hardest way possible. When I was shooting BPCRS you really needed a range box. These rifles need cleaning between rounds and the box serves as a rifle cradle for cleaning.

Cal Graf made a perfectly good box for this purpose. It was made from Oak was not too heavy, held all of your cleaning supplies and was not too pricey but a tad over $300. Well thats not for me, I looked at one of there box's and said I can build one of these, add a couple of custom features and have one I made with my own hands.

That was the plan, trouble was I had absolutly "NO" wood working tools. I justified there purchase by telling myself "Hey all of this stuff will come in handy sometimes" . So I buy a Table Saw, Jointer, Router's ( plural), Surface Planer, Radial Arm Saw, build jigs for the box joints, buy dozens of misc hand tools, purchase enough BirdsEye maple to build the box. So I spent somewhere in the area of $6,000 or maybe $7,000 dollars on the tools and matereal to build this "Range Box" I then spent at least most of one day in the emergency room when I ran my left thumb through the router bit on the router table I had to build to do the round over corners. So in the end I had a pretty cool BirdsEye Maple range box that serves me well now that I am shooting Benchrest. Cost? Well if I was to figure everything up around $8,500 dollars.

Like I said Marines are not supposed to be smart, Just willing.......

Roland

My Box Pictures0003.jpgMy Box Pictures0004.jpgMy Box Pictures0018.jpg

Yes Roland,

But, as with everything gun related, you can easily sell it and get your money back! :p

Personally, I have 2 brands of box I am loyal to. Rubbermaid and Keter. I have boxes from each that are at least 15 years old, and tho the one has had some repairs, they have all been far better to me than I've been to them.

My electronics toolbox is one of these. I am surprised they still make them after all these years. They're a really nice box.

Just wondering how a plastic tool box that is very light, strong and costs less than $30 instead of steel would work.

gt40

The price is right on the range box, but I feel the weight is more than It should be. Add 20 lbs. of gear and now it's 50.
Perhaps a well built plastic tackle box with drawers is the answer.

Perhaps a well built plastic tackle box with drawers is the answer.

My first range box was a elcheapo plastic model... a Stanley I picked up at the TrueValue store I think. On my first trip to the range I failed to screw the lid on my solvent bottle well and it apparent leaked all the solvent out and everything became a sticky mess. It actually ate a hole through the plastic drawer. I don't remember the solvent and I know that most plastics are fairly solvent resistance by some are not... and I choose one that wasn't. If I had handled my solvents properly it wouldn't have been an issue. Something to think about...:confused:

Luck, Tim

I think of a range box the same as a tackle box. If it won't go in your back pocket, it's to big.

My first range box was a elcheapo plastic model... a Stanley I picked up at the TrueValue store I think. On my first trip to the range I failed to screw the lid on my solvent bottle well and it apparent leaked all the solvent out and everything became a sticky mess. It actually ate a hole through the plastic drawer. I don't remember the solvent and I know that most plastics are fairly solvent resistance by some are not... and I choose one that wasn't. If I had handled my solvents properly it wouldn't have been an issue. Something to think about...:confused:

Luck, Tim

BTDT, in fact this is the reason I tried some plastic boxes. Thing is, the leaks DO happen (me?? moly, bolt grease, Butch's, SC/Kroil, liquid graphite, melted paraffin, melted ear plugs, Junior Mints.... for starters) and my idea'r was to set up my range box with replaceable Flambeau boxes so's when I wrecked one I could replace it, (not too easy with a nice Kennedy, got one of those too)

al

Alinwa;

I understand what you say about "leaks", but did you ever consider the following ?
I use a steel .30 cal ammo box for my fluids. Lightweight, rubber sealed and leakproof, and doesn't weigh more than 3 lbs. Now.....you need not be concerned about all your "stuff" being damadged.

Alinwa;

I understand what you say about "leaks", but did you ever consider the following ?
I use a steel .30 cal ammo box for my fluids. Lightweight, rubber sealed and leakproof, and doesn't weigh more than 3 lbs. Now.....you need not be concerned about all your "stuff" being damadged.

I hadn't thought of the 30cal can, I'll look into it. But yes, I now keep all my leakables "double bagged!"

al

I hadn't thought of the 30cal can, I'll look into it. But yes, I now keep all my leakables "double bagged!"

al

Save the baggies for sandwiches. Also, you may want to consider a .50 cal box. For that matter... there are plenty of strong lightweight plastic boxes available for that purpose..... and more.

I personally always seem to do everything the hardest way possible. When I was shooting BPCRS you really needed a range box. These rifles need cleaning between rounds and the box serves as a rifle cradle for cleaning.

Cal Graf made a perfectly good box for this purpose. It was made from Oak was not too heavy, held all of your cleaning supplies and was not too pricey but a tad over $300. Well thats not for me, I looked at one of there box's and said I can build one of these, add a couple of custom features and have one I made with my own hands.

That was the plan, trouble was I had absolutly "NO" wood working tools. I justified there purchase by telling myself "Hey all of this stuff will come in handy sometimes" . So I buy a Table Saw, Jointer, Router's ( plural), Surface Planer, Radial Arm Saw, build jigs for the box joints, buy dozens of misc hand tools, purchase enough BirdsEye maple to build the box. So I spent somewhere in the area of $6,000 or maybe $7,000 dollars on the tools and matereal to build this "Range Box" I then spent at least most of one day in the emergency room when I ran my left thumb through the router bit on the router table I had to build to do the round over corners. So in the end I had a pretty cool BirdsEye Maple range box that serves me well now that I am shooting Benchrest. Cost? Well if I was to figure everything up around $8,500 dollars.

Like I said Marines are not supposed to be smart, Just willing.......

Roland

View attachment 11969View attachment 11970View attachment 11971

Not only do Marines have to be willing, ( at times) but more importantly, young, dumb, and strong. I don't recall anyone in front or behind me in the enlistment line, that possesed all 4 ingredients..........that was turned down !

Most of the time the wood tends to be just as heavy or heavier than a metal box with the same layout.
Example the wooden (Chinese) box listed above smaller than the kennedy box weighs 20 lbs.
Being a wood worker with 35 years experience I played with various designs and and always found that space for space wood weighed considerably more to maintain the strength needed to hold the same volume and weight that my kennedy box can hold.
FWIW

Vern;

I couldn't have said it better. Having the machinery to do so, I simply realised weight would be a problem.
Additionaly, I kicked around the idea of making one out of acrylic I have access to. There again, it would require dadoing , adhesive, and thicker material than is used in a moulded one you can buy.
Further....acrylic is brittle, not like HDPE.

Back