Possible First Step

R. Rains

Scratching My Head,

I have a Rail Gun that I use to shoot short range benchrest with now, as we all know it only gets used once maybe twice a year.

The Action is a Bat B 1.750 Multiflat and I am possibly thinking about using this as a switch action for a 6 Dasher and getting a stock that is bedded and pillared and barrel also continue to use it in the rail gun.

I am thinking of building a light long range gun and I am just wondering the thoughts and concerns of me scratching my head or should someone just kick me now.

I use a Bat B in 1.350 and 1.530 it's 11 oz. heavier than the 1.350 so weight is a factor and if action is a 1.750 weight is a killer. The big action isn't needed with a Dasher, Records with the 1.350 - 5, records with the 1.530 -0. You would be hard pressed to find a stock that would accept that action for a light gun in 1K……… jim

I think with the diameter/weight of that action it's going to be tough to find a stock wide enough to fit which will be light enough to allow you to make 17-pound light gun weight after adding barrel, scope and mount.

I think i would leave that action on the rail, to many complications trying build a light gun with that. What does it weigh?…… jim

I do use two Roy Hunter long range stocks and they are not wide enough. I'm sure he could make one to fit a hugh action like that. The cost of making it a special stock and trying to balance it may not make a good deal at all. The depth of the action would cut most of the carbon out. Give Roy a call and see what he says, if it can be done he can do it…… jim

Last edited:
McMillan stock

50 LBR

The 50 L is designed for building rifles in the “Light Gun Class” for 50 Caliber Benchrest shooting. It is similar to the 50 HBR but the forend and the action area have been narrowed to be the most effective the “light gun” rules will allow. The forend is 3.50” in width and the stock will accept a maximum receiver width of 2.10”. It has the same 2.250” wide flat on the bottom of the butt as the 50HBR so the same rear bag can be used on both guns. The minimum weight is 6.5 lbs and is available inletted both right and left handed. Color shown, light blue, blue, dark blue flame.

Barrel weighs 6 lbs. A multi flat B at 1.4 inches weighs 36.6 oz. so the one at 1.740 would be a lot heavier. Stock at 6.5 lbs. MIN. The barrel and action would weigh 9 pounds and the stock would weigh 6.5 Minimum. Now you are at 15.5 pounds and you need pillars, bedding, muzzle brake, scope base, rings and a scope. A Leupold 8.5x25 LRT weighs 20 ounces. Boy I don't think it will make it. Matt

Think about it….. stock 6.5 lb. HV barrel 7.0 lbs. scope and rings1.5 -2.0 lbs. we are at 15-15.5 with no action or trigger guard, butt plate or pad and no way to balance it. My 1.530 weighs 43 oz. that big 1.750 would weigh 50 oz. or more……… jim

Barrel weighs 6 lbs. A multi flat B at 1.4 inches weighs 36.6 oz. so the one at 1.740 would be a lot heavier. Stock at 6.5 lbs. MIN. The barrel and action would weigh 9 pounds and the stock would weigh 6.5 Minimum. Now you are at 15.5 pounds and you need pillars, bedding, muzzle brake, scope base, rings and a scope. A Leupold 8.5x25 LRT weighs 20 ounces. Boy I don't think it will make it. Matt

Matt the dimensions are 1.750 not 1.740 and the Action with a Jewell trigger weighs 64 ozs.

Thanks

That was a typo. error. Even at 1.740 it would be heavy. My 1.53 M weighs 48 ounces. It would not make a good 1000 yard rig. You could make a heavy gun out of it. Matt

Back