Position Rifle Smith

I know they have a great program

Pete, go to wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Virginia_Mountaineers_rifle
Who won the first Olympic Gold for the USA in the last Olympics?
Ginny Thrasher when she was a freshman.
Pete, they have had 15 or 20 Olympians. They will only lose one top shooter to graduation. No body had to pay the coach to get them in school. Last year they had 7 Academic All-Americans this year.
Rifle is serious and equipment does't beat them.
Dan Killough has had their rifles to match ammo for them.
Ain't small town stuff.

A friend use to be involved in it and knows the folks who run things well. He was the coach for this person who needs a barrel before she went to College.

Pete

Pete, there is a Penrod/Anschutz position rifle listed on Accurate Shooter right now for $3200. It is in Maine. I do not know the gentleman but seems like you /her could inspect & shoot the gun.

See you Sunday?

Keith

If Butch says Gene Davis is good, you can take that to the bank. He obviously knows quality. Back around Christmas time, I had Mark Penrod put a new barrel on my daughter's position rifle. I should add that it is not an Anschutz though. He did an excellent job and did it in the time frame he said he would. Very good communicator. I highly recommend him also.

I just don't think it would be in the budget of a collegiate team to hire an armorer. I also don't think it would be entirely needed as I would bet the collegiate teams already have their favorite gunsmith on speed dial. Most shooters that continue on at the collegiate level have probably already tested their rifle to see if it is capable of shooting very well with a matched lot of ammo. If not, most have been swapped out for a different rifle or re-barreled. Having a Dan Killough running the Eley testing facility helps a bunch. He knows what it takes to compete in 3P and will recognize right away if a rifle isn't capable of shooting to that level. He will then go over options as to what should be done. I also need to put a plug in for Tom Csenge and his Turbo Rifles. He is putting out a position rifle with benchrest accuracy right out of the box and with a great price tag to boot.

Pete, I hope the girl you know shooting in college is having a great time and I hope she shoots even better with a new barrel.

Gene Davis has been mentioned a few times recently. Is he still actively doing any gun work ? Haven't spoken to him in a while but as I recall it seemed he was talking about cutting back. Doesn't seem like any recent work has showed up in benchrest circles.

Also, Kevin Nevius does some pretty good work here as well. Since he’s also a national champion level shooter that strikes me as a pretty good combination .

Last edited:
Mark Penrod threaded a friend’s Annie and installed a new barrel. He would use Mark again.
On a side note... Mark’s bluing work is beyond reproach.

I can say after visiting Mark's shop several weekends ago, he is set up really well. He only does rifles these days, and very fine rifles at that. The first ARA match in Indianan this month had 4 Penrod rifles in the top five out of 14 shooters. The top 3 were all shooting Penrod rifles.

Last edited:
She's in her first year

If Butch says Gene Davis is good, you can take that to the bank. He obviously knows quality. Back around Christmas time, I had Mark Penrod put a new barrel on my daughter's position rifle. I should add that it is not an Anschutz though. He did an excellent job and did it in the time frame he said he would. Very good communicator. I highly recommend him also.

I just don't think it would be in the budget of a collegiate team to hire an armorer. I also don't think it would be entirely needed as I would bet the collegiate teams already have their favorite gunsmith on speed dial. Most shooters that continue on at the collegiate level have probably already tested their rifle to see if it is capable of shooting very well with a matched lot of ammo. If not, most have been swapped out for a different rifle or re-barreled. Having a Dan Killough running the Eley testing facility helps a bunch. He knows what it takes to compete in 3P and will recognize right away if a rifle isn't capable of shooting to that level. He will then go over options as to what should be done. I also need to put a plug in for Tom Csenge and his Turbo Rifles. He is putting out a position rifle with benchrest accuracy right out of the box and with a great price tag to boot.

Pete, I hope the girl you know shooting in college is having a great time and I hope she shoots even better with a new barrel.

Doing OK I guess. I don't personally know her but my friend coached her through to get on a team.

Pete

Gene Davis has been mentioned a few times recently. Is he still actively doing any gun work ? Haven't spoken to him in a while but as I recall it seemed he was talking about cutting back. Doesn't seem like any recent work has showed up in benchrest circles.

Also, Kevin Nevius does some pretty good work here as well. Since he’s also a national champion level shooter that strikes me as a pretty good combination .

Tim, Gene has done work on 2 of my 40X rifles. The last one was the first of this month.

Some great pictures

I just now realized there were some pictures posted and looked at them. Very impressive machining, to say the least.

Pete

Back