Position Rifle Smith

Pete Wass

A friend is looking for a smith who specializes in re-barreling Anschutz Position rifles. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete

Try Mark Penrod at Penrod Precision Rifles. I know he did work on a position rifle for a recent NCAA record holder. Don't know if it was an Annie, but do know he has the tooling and has done many Annie's in the past. Use your search bar for 'Penrod Precision' and you will find contact phone number. Mark turns out excellent work.

I think we should let Jim speak for himself if Pete wants to contact him. Jim has threaded and barreled an Annie for me, but it was a few years ago. bob

I think we are all set

I relayed the information to my friend. The shooter is a College Shooter on a scholarship soooooo. I was surprised to hear schools leave all things rifle to the students.

Pete

I relayed the information to my friend. The shooter is a College Shooter on a scholarship soooooo. I was surprised to hear schools leave all things rifle to the students.

Pete
Pete, maybe some of them, but most collegiate shooters furnish their own rifles.

That's what I meant

Pete, maybe some of them, but most collegiate shooters furnish their own rifles.

If i were running things, I'd have an Armorer present to work on guns. I'm sure one would work for a lot less than the prof who only teach one class per semester. Just sayin.

In my way of thinking, why not the School ? Certainly they aren't un affordable. Do football players buy their own pads, etc?

Pete

Last edited:
If i were running things, I'd have an Armorer present to work on guns. I'm sure one would work for a lot less than the prof who only teach one cllass per semester. Just sayin.

In my way of thinking, why not have School ? Certainly they aren't affordable. Do football players buy their own pads, etc?

Pete

You ‘re in luck, , a famous French team is in fact looking for an armorer, I have a contact at l’universitie dumass. Would be a perfect fit.
Be happy to pass it on.

I think we should let Jim speak for himself if Pete wants to contact him. Jim has threaded and barreled an Annie for me, but it was a few years ago. bob

I live right down the road from him and i have known him forever 30 years and he is semi retired and did build a couple of guns last winter but he doesn't want to fool with an Annie let alone thread them and will only glue in for what they are worth. so call him and see ... jim

It is hard to beat Gene Davis. His work is as clean as any thing I have had done.
Pete, Jon Hammond, West Virginia rifle coach, told me the kids furnish their own. They are probably the best NCAA rifle team for the last 15-20 years. These kids have started serious shooting at about 10yrs old and it takes the best. They have been shooting their own stuff for years.
I believe Todd Zaun is a member here. His very young daughter is one of the best shooters in the USA and is part of the USA team that shoots the cup matches around the World. She is still a junior shooter, but shoots and is one of the adult team members. We will be hearing about her soon.

Mebby it's OK

It is hard to beat Gene Davis. His work is as clean as any thing I have had done.
Pete, Jon Hammond, West Virginia rifle coach, told me the kids furnish their own. They are probably the best NCAA rifle team for the last 15-20 years. These kids have started serious shooting at about 10yrs old and it takes the best. They have been shooting their own stuff for years.
I believe Todd Zaun is a member here. His very young daughter is one of the best shooters in the USA and is part of the USA team that shoots the cup matches around the World. She is still a junior shooter, but shoots and is one of the adult team members. We will be hearing about her soon.

Lets face it, if one finds a rifle that shoots, it's all one needs. Still, I think it might be a good addition to a program to have a knowledgeable person on board who could work on rifles and or change barrels, etc. I am thinking there must be a way to know each shooter on one's team has the best rifle they can have in order to score the best they are able to score. If I were a School that really wanted to win stuff, I would take the ownership of rifle out of the hands of the students and have folks assemble the most killer equipment out there, then see how much talent my shooters had. Sort of like the IROC series was, to some degree. To me, the way it is now is bass ackwards.

I know the student I spoke of has an inferior rifle. Her previous rifle was sold to buy the one she has now but it doesn't shoot as well as the one that got sold. Limited resources I think. So take the rifle out of the picture.

Pete

Last edited:
Here are some pics of Mark's work on Anschutz
Ans1.jpg
Ans2.jpg
Ans5.jpg
Ans6.jpg
Ans7.jpg
You can not go wrong letting Mark rebarrel your Anschutz. He has worked on the new Walther kk500 and a couple of Bleikers.

Pete, go to wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Virginia_Mountaineers_rifle
Who won the first Olympic Gold for the USA in the last Olympics?
Ginny Thrasher when she was a freshman.
Pete, they have had 15 or 20 Olympians. They will only lose one top shooter to graduation. No body had to pay the coach to get them in school. Last year "2018-2019" they had 7 Academic All-Americans
Rifle is serious and equipment doesn't beat them.
Dan Killough has had their rifles to match ammo for them.
Ain't small town stuff.

Last edited:
Back