Poor reamed hole finish

Maroon scottsbrite is all I ever use to achieve a flawless line free chamber. Works fantastically! I quick spin up on the leads, and your break in will also be much easier. My experience anyway. Lee

Here's my 2 cents and you may already be doing this...
I almost never get that perfect shiny finish in my chambers. So i buff out all my chambers in the lathe at about 400rpm with a small piece of sandpaper to get rid of the reamer marks/chatter, then touch it up with scotch brite to give it a satin finish.

Honestly i think it has no effect on accuracy or function as long as the chamber isnt ribbed or full of bad chatter.

good luck

MMG

It did both but the barrel seems to shoot well and did not accumulate any lead or carbon in that area after about 50 rounds, which impressed me. My other barrels all start forming a carbon ring after only a few shots. As long as the barrel is competitive I won't worry about the chamber finish. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Pete

You were reaming a rimfire chamber? I guess I didn't notice . Big difference in the SFM of a PPC and a 22rf at that RPM>

Yes, and barrel steel has a lot to do with finish, from what I have been told. The one I just did makes chips that look more like those from drilling cast iron than those from reaming steel. I have used reamers a fair bit throughout my adult years and never saw any other steel react the same as this barrel did. As I said previously, I had some other barrel stubs that I tried the reamer in and it made a nice finish in them. I tried CAREFULLY hand reaming this barrel and it made the same chunky chips. I also inspected the reamer and it's flutes were ding free. The reamer has only cut 5 or 6 chambers before this one. Anyway, she's in service. We'll see how she shoots tomorra in the wind.

Pete

Thanks Lee.

Maroon scottsbrite is all I ever use to achieve a flawless line free chamber. Works fantastically! I quick spin up on the leads, and your break in will also be much easier. My experience anyway. Lee

I will locate some of that and give it a try. What is a common source for the various Scotchbright array?

Thanks,

pete

Painters supply and sometimes auto parts stores along with walmart in various sections including the cleaning aisle and paint dept. one of those should have it if not i get it thru msc

I will locate some of that and give it a try. What is a common source for the various Scotchbright array?

Thanks,

pete

Enco offers a wide selection. I use the fine(redish maroon) and very fine(white). Very fine works great to polish the cone face. NAPA or any auto parts store that sells auto paint should have a selection. Get them in all grit...they all are very handy to have.

Scotchbrite

Thanks,

pete

Pete,
We use it at the boatyard & get ours from Hayden. Its where we get all of our abrasives. I can get you a couple pieces & bring them to LCRC next weekend if need be.
Keith

Back