Polygon Barrels for LV?

Chas DiCapua

Has anyone tried the polygon barrel for LV class? I haven't heard of anyone doing that. Just wondering if there is any data/opinions out there.

Chas

i remember that some were playing with them back in the beginning. there were threads on that subject on the old yellow forum - but that might all be lost now, might be some information on the Delphi forum concerning air bench-rest ( for get the exact forum name.) I do not know if there is anything in the archives of Pilkingtons forums. Then there are the over seas forums got to do some digging to find those. It is harder now to get to what you want on the web do to all the fancy algorithms that google and such use. Maybe shoot an inquiry to Mac1 in CA. The gentleman that gave him the ideas for his Mac 1 rifles has a lot of history in this area. I just can't remember his name - but he is the originator of the Delphi forum. Goes by LD on the forums. Hope this is of some help.
All the hacking and such over the past few years has really played havoc with archives so much was lost.

Has anyone tried the polygon barrel for LV class? I haven't heard of anyone doing that. Just wondering if there is any data/opinions out there.

Chas

Chas:

I tried a 22" Polygon in a Steyr and it worked well in LV but only with 10.34's at around 715 -720 fps...It would just not shoot 8.3's nor 7.9's at any velocity, I tried from 800 down to 750 fps unsuccessfully and then I cranked it up to 850 fps. with no major improvements...This barrel shot the best at around 780 fps with 8.4's but the consistent BR accuracy was never there. With 10.34's at 715+- fps. I shot several 249's and a few 250's and the average scores were 746 - 748's with 10.34's...With 13.4's it shot 248-250's with no problems, so it was good for HV....I swapped that barrel for a custom made Shilen Ratchet (.177) that Ed made for us some 20 years ago, this one is very, very accurate with anything you throw at it from 7.9's to 13.4's, I haven't tried the 16.2 Beasts though...If I had to choose in between a Ratchet and a Polygon I would pick the Ratchet, it is outstanding for either HV, LV or FT but very unfortunately nobody makes them that I know.

Regards,

AZ

Last edited:
Maybe I'm spoiled

Maybe my expectations are just too high. I'm used to my poly barrel shooting the monsters with insane accuracy. My LV rifle with the 12 grove just isn't as accurate with the 8.44's. I'll try some heavies in it and see what that's like.

Chas

Chas:

I've heard about your Polygon being one of those killer barrels...Is it peaky about pellet lots and head size/weight?...Is it the RAW original supplied barrel with a Titanium perforated sleeve or is a barrel you got somewhere else and machined the tenon to fit your RAW?

I don't have that much experience testing Polygons, I've only tested 4 of mine and set 2 for other friends...My consensus is that these barrels shoot 10.34's and 13.4's well but they shine with 13.4's at velocities coming from 770-775 to 820, the optimum accuracy was around the upper limit for HV at 815+ ...One of these barrels shot extraordinarily well 13.4's at 845-855 fps., but this is useless for HV and only good for open class which nobody I know shoots around where we shoot.

Some time ago I had one of those 12 groove Walther-Lothar barrels...While it was a good with 7.9-8.4 gr. & 10.34's., this particular barrel never gave BR consistent accuracy at any velocity/weight combination, it's optimum accuracy was with 8.4's and head sizes 4.49 & 4.50 shot at 770-775 fps....I passed it to a friend who shoots FT where its accuracy is considered excellent...he is very happy with it.

Regards,

AZ

Last edited:
polygon barrel

The barrel with my TM1000 is the regularly supplied polygon barrel with the titanium sleeve from RAW.

It likes the 4.54 and 4.55 head sizes best. And yes, certain lots do shoot noticeably better than others. I test lots and when I find one the barrel likes, I buy a bunch. Yeah, it shoots the heavies quite well, but it really shines with the monsters.

I tried some heavies and even some 7.87's out of my 12 groove and they were terrible. The 8.44's aren't bad. I'm just spoiled. They'll shoot 744-748 indoors I think. I found a lot that is decent. I'll keep testing lots though.

Polygonal barrels excel at shooting heavier pellets at high velocities. I don't feel this would be appropriate for LV since you are limited to 12 fpe.

Have two poly’s originals from Martin on two BM’s .177 I agree both like jsb 13.4-.54-.55 head size @800-810fps,( straight from Martin) but if you can find the wide inner skirt DIA. JSB 13.4 they shoot incredible in my poly’s!

Back