PMA neck turning

tenring

Interested in the PMA neck turner. Sent this message to PMA a week ago, they did not answer.
Are the mandrels interchangeable on a single tool? How repeatable are the settings on the micrometer? In other words, if I cut 6 Dasher necks to .012, then go to 30BR necks at .010, will it return exactly to .012?

Thanks

Well, I am NOT Pat

Interested in the PMA neck turner. Sent this message to PMA a week ago, they did not answer.
Are the mandrels interchangeable on a single tool? How repeatable are the settings on the micrometer? In other words, if I cut 6 Dasher necks to .012, then go to 30BR necks at .010, will it return exactly to .012?

Thanks

and I do not intend to speak for his High quality tools, but rather to point out a couple things. Yes, I am sure the different caliber mandrels will all fit the same handle. And I am sure you will be VERY close when you dial from one setting to another and back. BUT, you are still going to need to do test cuts and verify the 4th digit accuracy of the reset. The micrometer just makes it easier to get closer.

IMHO
David

and I do not intend to speak for his High quality tools, but rather to point out a couple things. Yes, I am sure the different caliber mandrels will all fit the same handle. And I am sure you will be VERY close when you dial from one setting to another and back. BUT, you are still going to need to do test cuts and verify the 4th digit accuracy of the reset. The micrometer just makes it easier to get closer.

IMHO
David

I've used and have about 5-6 different brands of neck turners and they all do the job AFTER they are set and fine tuned. Problem is the fine tuning in all of then. If you do several calibers you would do best to buy at least one turner for each. My current "best" turner is a True Turn which is no longer made.(Going down to 0.0085" or so walls really takes a rougher and a finisher to do a top notch job.)

Doing my annual bunch of PPC's I do best on a lathe.

Neck turning

I happen to own 3 neck turning tools. Two of them are as quality as one another, they are a pumpkin and a pma, and both will turn necks as accurate as the other. And are equally as hard to set up for your designated thickness, when working in tenths of a thousand it is hairy. JM2C.

I happen to own 3 neck turning tools. Two of them are as quality as one another, they are a pumpkin and a pma, and both will turn necks as accurate as the other. And are equally as hard to set up for your designated thickness, when working in tenths of a thousand it is hairy. JM2C.

I also have both pumpkin and pma and I find that the old feeler gauges used for spark plugs (years ago)(when I was drag racing and able to sit inside the finder to work on the engine) works great to fine tune or get close to what you need.

Libby

I answer a dozen emails daily and a lot of them have to do with neck turning. You may want to double check your spam and spam filters as I am fairly sure I answered a similar question to the one you describe concerning repeatability with those two cartridges. The reply would've come from patr@pmatool.com If you cannot find it, please email again or call with your question.

Pat Reagin
patr@pmatool.com
260-246-5860

I also have both pumpkin and pma and I find that the old feeler gauges used for spark plugs (years ago)(when I was drag racing and able to sit inside the finder to work on the engine) works great to fine tune or get close to what you need.

Libby

It's funny that there are so many benchrest shooters who used to be drag racers. It may be the same kind of mind set for both sports. Interesting. I know Randy Pumphrey's used to drag race and I guess Dave Coots still does.

It's funny that there are so many benchrest shooters who used to be drag racers. It may be the same kind of mind set for both sports. Interesting. I know Randy Pumphrey's used to drag race and I guess Dave Coots still does.

Back in the late '60's I ran a D-gas. Does that mean Benchrest is a drag?

Randy? Really? I wouldn't have guessed, he's always so calm and bemused.

Back in the late '60's I ran a D-gas. Does that mean Benchrest is a drag?

Jerry,

I would really like to hear about your gasser.

I'm not a benchrest shooter but shot trap for many years and met some really great people.

Maybe we share some of the same mindset?

Last edited:

Thanks

I have a PMA neck turner and it's a very nice accurate tool. When I called PMA Pat took my order and made sure I got everything that I was needing. Very nice people to deal with. Quick service and even received a small gift in box when it showed up.
Thanks, Dave

Back