Please Read, Another Perspective on "Score Shooting"

VFS or Group

While Jackie’s method of measuring closest to center is a cool idea – it is not score shooting! Keep the two separate.

And after scoring one or two matches - just trying to keep up with scoring 30 + targets now is a real challenge since only one person does it. I also, think that - at our club, our volunteer help would quit coming to the match if he had to do more work at scoring than he does now. So whoever does do this job – would not be able to shoot the match at the same time!

Please note that I am still learning to shoot well at these matches (IBS VFS) and for myself I don’t learn much shooting at 200yd’s or more. However, I am getting to the point that I would like to see the scoring at 100yd’s be more difficult to get an “X” - but 200yd matches requires / needs no changes.
(I would like to see that scoring an “X” would mean that it is completely wiped out) or maybe ½ an X count for just touching it.

Best edge scoring would work as well and would make it desirable to have two ways of shooting VFS at each club. (More records and bragging rights to go after)
M2$ :p

Last edited:
Let's not confuse PRECISION with ACCURACY . . .

glp and Doug P. made some good points - and I have long expressed the view which Al Nyhus pointed out: smaller ten-ring and smaller increments between successive rings - no need to complicate things with X/Y axis measurements.
As was also pointed out - it isn't group shooting! :eek::D

Worth keeping separate are the 'definitions' of Precision and Accuracy, as they relate to Benchrest shooting: Precision is the ability/goal of shooting every shot through a single, concentric hole; Accuracy is placing that hole concentrically on the X-ring (ok, dot). As pointed out by Doug P. - the latter is not as easy as it appears.

Further, the SUDDEN DEATH aspect of score shooting, both Hunter Rifle and VfS, is something that holds one's feet to the fire - with the equipment we use these days, missing the adequate ten-ring is a major wreck - the competitor deserves the penalty.;)

Here in fly-over country, the simplicity of VfS has been not only the salvation of Hunter Rifle shooting, but also GROUP shooting - as sanctioned by the IBS, VfS is simply the best recruiting tool we've ever seen.:eek::D I'm not going to type forever - if you don't believe me, look it up in the archives . . . RG

Back