"Percent Fill" effect on accuracy

but "thru the propellant bed" is not a straight back to front event. that is what al was trying to tell you. it happens fast and violent, and not a controlled rear to front event.
it is more pressure dependent than than rear to front ......
mike in co
Burn Rate function sequence:

The first event, ignition, depends on the propagation of a flame front, generated by a priming source (at the rear of case) and burning of those propellant grains ignited first, through the propellant bed.

The second event, a regressive burning of the propellant grain.

I do not consider these as generalities but rather inherent properties.

Disclaimer: My knowledge of thermodynamics is lower than low and my shooting skills are about the same.

Have a Good Day and That’s all……..

Ken

Mike, I dunno if you ever used the Israeli 2015-BR back in the mid-90s, but it was my favorite powder. Cases would be full, but there would still be just a bit of airspace in them. Use to use Norma cases with that powder too -- it didn't much need high pressures.

Shooting a lot of .600 to .800 B.C. bullets at or over 3,000 fps cured me of any notion that I could "shoot through" the wind. YMMV.

Probably, the closest I came to a lighter load than normal was when the first lots of Australian made H322 came into the US. Charged them with the same powder measure setting that I had been using and blanked a primer or two, before figuring out that it needed to be quite a bit lower than about .050" down the case neck. Never could get it to shoot as well as my old GI 322.

why???
powder works under pressure...certain pressure bands are better for certain powders...
atmospheric or vacuum are not either...

mike in co
Quick question?
How does powder say 133 or 322 perform in a vacuum?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasnt sure if there was any oxygen requirement for powder to go through its process.

now we need a chemist....
no way there is sufficient free oxygen in a full case for conventional burning...my guess is part of the process is producing oxygen...

mike in co

well you need to do some real world number crunching to go with your generalities.....
a 6ppc with a full case of n133 hits peak pressure just past one inch of bullet movement.....its not flame propagration...but actual burn.....as al said it does not just start in the back and move forward in a straight line as the word propagation implies....it just aint so

mike in co

I find your interpretation of my post grossly errored and your argument non-factual.

1. Where is the all burnt in relation to the peak pressure?

2. So, sensitivity has nothing to do with form function?

3. Burn Rates are not controlled?

P.S. I have an extremely low tolerance for attitude.

Ken

Back