Pellet staging

bryan

Bryan Armatys
I made benchrest bullets for 10 years or so but have switched to air rifles. I’ve seen some talk about winning shooters who were making their own pellets…that caught my interest.
My Beeman 400 shoots sub .200 groups at 25 yards but I’m always looking for something better.
Tell me about the dies, process, and where to get them, and the genuine uniformity

Thanks
Bryan

Good luck,

I buy the best pellets available for my rifle and I sort them... I have some really good shooting pellets, and now and then I have a really P.O.S. pellet !

commercial pellets are swagged, not cast. Got to be a nightmare trying to cast 8-14gr pellets with a hollow base. yes, there are solid base pellets but you need those to be dead on and dead soft for your particular bore. The thin skirt acts as a seal. Air units do not have the oumph at crack of valve like a powder burner to upset the base of a solid for a seal.

I made benchrest bullets for 10 years or so but have switched to air rifles. I’ve seen some talk about winning shooters who were making their own pellets…that caught my interest.
My Beeman 400 shoots sub .200 groups at 25 yards but I’m always looking for something better.
Tell me about the dies, process, and where to get them, and the genuine uniformity

Thanks
Bryan

If you look into it at the highest level it likely brings you to Michael Thomas who makes the highest level BR airguns out there. They are set up to shoot custom swaged slugs, not pellets, in dies supplied by him as well. They perform to a high standard right out to 50 yards.

Nrawc

Thanks for the reply’s
The NRA Whittington Center has just given it’s blessing to starting an airgun field target program. Tiny steps…more like a “club shoot” to start with, but plan for a full blown program in about a year.
Purchased a Air Venture Avenger to evaluate for possible rental and Adventure Camp training guns (your thoughts)
Dave Kenner realizes the growth of air gun shooting is part of our mission at the NRAWC and has thrown his full support behind us. We welcome your suggestions and help in getting this program up and running.
Bryan

Back