Pellet lubes

DanB

Howdy all. I've spent the last month testing different pellet lubes. All that I've tried have reduced my velocity compared to unlubed pellets, contrary to the common belief. Strangely enough I got the most consistent velocities with unlubed cleaned pellets. The accuracy was not good and the bore after 75 shots had heavy lead deposits.
Napier lube keeps the bore from fouling but is not as accurate as finish line ptfe lube.
Is anyone willing to share lubes that have worked well for them?
Thanks,
Dan

I spent a year testing lubes in the nineties. It was me that Introduced Finishline with Krytox to the airgunning public in this country after testing it for a year personally. I never had any interest in using lube to enhance velocity ... lube is to make your gun shoot accurately for longer between barrel cleaning intervals Many lubes can help keep a barrel clean, but my tests showed Finishline (the old formulation, at least, of which I have a fair supply) was the only lube that, in many cases, could enhance accuracy over clean lube/clean bore conditions. I mostly use it for Crosman pellets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. I've tried two variaties of finish line products, Krytech and their dry teflon lube. I find the dry teflon lube to be a bit oily but I think it works better than the krytec. I tried some Dupont spray dry teflon, it leaves a truly dry coat on the pellets but doesn't seem to inhibit lead fouling.
Has anyone tried a thin coat of moly grease before?
Dan

I find that after 75 or so pellets, my accuracy suddenly goes south. I am using RWS Meisterkugeln Rifle .177 Cal, 8.2 Grains and get great accuracy up to that point. Shooting a pair of Beeman's felt cleaning pellets (both at the same time) with synthetic lube on the first one seems to be all it takes to clean the barrel.
My Walther Lothar barrel only has about 1500 pellets through it. Can I expect the barrel to polish out over time?

Yes, but pulling tight patches thru from breech to muzzle will polish the barrel better and faster. Those cleaning pellets don't have much effect toward polishing. I prefer jamming three or four clening pellets in, then a pellet behind that, and firing em out ... but would be careful to repeat that if its a really low powered gun.

Back