Panda vs Teddy

Kelbly's built my benchrest rifle with a Teddy action and also delivered it in the summer of 1995. My serial number is just after yours, Butch.

As a bit on an aside to the post, I have a friend which I do occasional barrel work for that has a Panda 73xx. It has an extended body like a Teddy, but the tenon is not as long.

This action uses a SA Remington bolt for 473 cases, and the Owner says he has the original bolt for a PPC, but I haven't seen it. I've only worked with the Rem. bolt, so I can't say what the tenon length would be with the coned bolt. For all I know, it may not be a coned bolt that early. It was made by Stolle himself.

As a bit on an aside to the post, I have a friend which I do occasional barrel work for that has a Panda 73xx. It has an extended body like a Teddy, but the tenon is not as long.

This action uses a SA Remington bolt for 473 cases, and the Owner says he has the original bolt for a PPC, but I haven't seen it. I've only worked with the Rem. bolt, so I can't say what the tenon length would be with the coned bolt. For all I know, it may not be a coned bolt that early. It was made by Stolle himself.

Wow! I don't know if the serial numbering system was the same or not on the early ones. I do know the early models(80's?) didn't have coned bolts. --Mike

Had 95366 Teddy here in 1995. Supposedly I got the last Teddy's made.

Jim
also-keep in mind that does not mean 366 Teddy actions that year. Jim K could tell you better but if I remember right they were sequential with the Pandas. Might be wrong on that, but it is the way I remember it

Last edited:
Jim...I know this is "off subject" but what is the difference between your BR and BRM actions???

Eddie in Texas

BRM Versus BR

Eddie

The BRM have same headspace as the BR but the action is 3/4 inch longer. The bolt stroke length on BRM is like a Rem 700 short, a Panda or similar. The BR has a shorter bolt stroke.

The BR has two mini port lengths available. 1 for the BR/PPC family and one for the 6.5x47 family. The longer one will still work with the shorter cartridges.

The BRM has three mini-ports available. the longest one will eject the 308 and 6.5x284 family of cartridges while still working with smaller cartridges.

Jim

We were only making approximately fifty Teddy and Polar actions a year, which wasn’t enough to justify production. The final year of manufacture was 1995.

Another reason was that George Sr. got tired of seeing the actions butchered up and modified to be like a Panda.

The Teddy and Polar actions were not made on our CNC equipment, hence the Panda is “technically” a truer action since all of the critical surfaces are machined in one operation on our Mazak turning center.

Another potential problem with a Teddy or Polar action is the extended sleeve in front of the receiver face can possibly move under temperature changes – a likely scenario as the barrel heats up during the course of fire. If the front scope base is mounted in front of the receiver ring, POI will change. Note you will see some Teddy and Polar actions with slots or ports cut in the extended sleeve (i.e. Bill Forrester’s rail-gun) allowing the heat to escape and minimize the expansion/contraction.

Tenon length and receiver face to bolt face dimension on a Teddy is 1.340". The threads are the same pitch as our other actions: 1 1/16 -18 UNEF-3A. I prefer to cut the threads to measure 1.0710" over .032" wires.

Stop and visit us at the Shot Show! Booth #3118

Greg Walley
Kelbly's Inc.

I'm resurrecting an old one here, but after reading the last post, I wonder if those of you that have competed with both pre and post CNC Kelbly actions have noticed any difference in accuracy between the two ?

Thanks Robert

I have Panda #86xx, and it has always been a shooter. Note that the bolt handle is shorter and shaped differently; operation requires more effort than my later actions but it is very smooth.

Dave

Had 95366 Teddy here in 1995. Supposedly I got the last Teddy's made.

Jim
also-keep in mind that does not mean 366 Teddy actions that year. Jim K could tell you better but if I remember right they were sequential with the Pandas. Might be wrong on that, but it is the way I remember it

Mmmm, I bought a used Teddy two years ago that was chambered in 30BR. According to my spreadsheet the serial number is 961XX. Maybe I 'd better go look at the gun again.

Back