Pact Professional Chrono XP

C

coopershooter1

Guys, want to if anyone has experience with Pacts' Professional Chrono XP? The pros and cons? How does it compare to an Oehler 35P that anyone likes and dislikes.

Any info would be helpful!

Thanks
Coopershooter1

Pact Chrono

I have owned a Pact Professional Chronograph (Not XP, not sure what differences there might be?) for over 20 years. Have used it to chono everything from pellet rifles to 12 ga shot shells. Never given a bit of trouble and works great. Never used the Oehler, so can't give a comparison. Vic

Funny you ask. I have had the Mark4 for years and it works great. I decided this year I need to upgrade so I bought the Pro XP. Got the whole thing direct from Pact along with the IR skyscreen option. What a piece of crap. It misses readings all the time, the design is poor and for me is an all around failure. The IR skyscreen is great and works good with a latern battery and my old Mark 4 but the XP machine itself is junk. And to prove my point, several times when it failed I would hook the Mark 4 up real quick and it didn't miss a beat so I am sure it was the XP.

I say funny you ask because right before I saw this post I remembered that I need to box it up and send it back to Pact with a dirty note. :mad:

im like vlcake

ive owned the pact professional for close to 20 years. i bought the mounting stand that spaces the light triangles at the exact distance apart. it still works for recording FPS.

however the only concern i would have is in the past 5 years the keyboard doesnt function (keystick issue.) i snail mailed pact and emailed them to see if i could get a replacement keyboard. i never received an answer, not even a no answer. the origional manual stated there were to be free upgrades sent as bullet and ballistic librarys grew. nothing, not one stinking thing.

so in retrospect my opinion would be that pact makes a good product. customer service leaves one with a bad taste in their mouth. if other chronograph companys made a similar product with 5 star customer service. they would get my hard earned cash next time. Fred

PS anyone have one sitting in the garage collecting dust with a good keyboard, lets barter! Fred

I am guessing the XP is a different animal and crap in my opinion. I have had many good years out of their Mark 4 so I wouldn't argue that they make some good products.

I am going to call and see if they will either take it back or trade it for another Mark 4. Having dealt with them in the past I will bet they don't do either and I would have a hard time selling it to someone and feeling good about it. I have the same problem with their scale and powder dispenser. I have one of each I would like to sell but I am afraid the moment I sell it to someone it will stop working!

I had one of their scales a number of years ago when digital scales were a newish thing for reloaders, and it was very unstable. I was able to talk to Pact by phone & subsequently returned it for repair. When it came back (pretty quickly), it was a much improved unit. Hopefully their customer service is still as good for you.
As far as chronographs go, I can't say enough good things about my Oehler 35P, though they aren't available new anymore. However, Ken Oehler still provides wonderful support. I just got a new printer head from him a couple of weeks ago. If you are a little patient (I know that's asking a lot of most of us), you can get a good used Oehler. I have seen several on 6mmBR.com in the past year or so.
And BTW, Ken Oehler would still like to find someone to take over his business & put the product back on the market. So, if there are any enterprising electronics types out there, you might give him a call.

Junk

I too have a PACT XP Professional. The damn thing does not work 90% of the time. I have found that if I tape sheets of paper to the plastic upright pieces that hold the top piece in place it will work sometimes. It seems that side sun is the culprit.

Just what I wanted, a chrono that I ahve to tape sheets of paper to to make it work!

Back