Other powders for the 6PPC??

James M.

Although I normally load N133 or LT-32, I was wondering if anyone has "pet" loads for Re 7( lot 7 Hercules), N130, H322 Extreme, or 4197 (slow lot # 13994) in a 6 PPC? Thanks, James Mock

Last edited:
I shot 322 almost exclusively for years...won some stuff as well. The old GI 322 was really good stuff.....I think.

More on using Rl-10X in a 6PPC. The pic below is from last year at Fairchance at 200 yards.

29.0 grains, 65 Hottenstein, 1:14 twist. chrono 3490 fps.

200yFC.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks all. I have the powders that I listed in enough quantity to shoot at some local matches. Jerry, I have about 2/3rds of a pound of Re 10, but I have found it to be extremely dirty in my barrels. I also have a little H222 from Scotland. Is it about the same as H322 Extreme? I guess I will have to break out the ole Oehler and start testing. James Mock

Thanks all. I have the powders that I listed in enough quantity to shoot at some local matches. Jerry, I have about 2/3rds of a pound of Re 10, but I have found it to be extremely dirty in my barrels. I also have a little H222 from Scotland. Is it about the same as H322 Extreme? I guess I will have to break out the ole Oehler and start testing. James Mock

James, to me dirty is not an issue if my standard cleaning regimen works. The early Rl-10x was supposed to be hard on barrel life. On later 10x, not an issue....supposedly.

Rl-10x came out, when, about 2001? We were shooting Painted Post and Bill Keazenski showed up with some. I bought 3 cases of 1# cans. Sold some still have some. I could never tell any difference in barrel life between the old and some I picked up last year??

Norma 201

You didn't mention it James, but the new IMR 8208 works great in a 6 PPC. Most suppliers have it in stock, it's not temperature (or moisture) sensitive, and relatively clean burning. I use between 29.8 and 30.1 grains with a Bart's 68 gr Ultra. Most of the time I use the same load all day. Velocity is around 3450, and the rest of the chrono numbers are very consistent.

Some years back I used 10X in a ppc and had pressure problems when it got over 80 degrees, or so. I attributed that to it being double-based. Never tried 322, but when I first started in the sport a few folks were still using the surplus 322, with the blue label. Never got to try any since supplies were exhausted, and those who still had some wouldn't sell any at any price. Guess it was the Cat's Meow . . . :)

Z-dog (Chris Mitchell)

Dear Sirs.

What happened to the magic load of 29.5 grains of Norma 201?
Or another standard in the early days of the 6PPC.....25.0 grains 4198?

Best regards,
Magnus Sigurðsson
Reykjavik
ICELAND
P.s Sunny / 33.8 Fahrenheit

When you change lots of H322 it's much like changing to a different powder. If I remember correctly, lots of 322 got a bit poorer as time passed. That could have been related to my will to win, that also got poorer...I'm just talkin' here.

When you change lots of H322 it's much like changing to a different powder. If I remember correctly, lots of 322 got a bit poorer as time passed. That could have been related to my will to win, that also got poorer...I'm just talkin' here.

CCBW, if you follow the evolution of 322 powder, it would make a long list. Remember, "322" was first t32, then t322, then gi322, then h322' then h322 extreme. Each of these packagings were from different sources and made in different countries by different manufacturers.

I have probably 4-5 "322's" myself. For example I have some t322 and some T32 from the Ferris Pindell estate. Then some gi322 from Mike Walkers. Then some h322 and h322 Extreme in Hodgdon containers and of different lots there... Then there are the various 2015's.

One simply has to try each to see how it reacts. Probably the most consistent brand is Norma since it is made using cotton as the cellulose source. Most all of the others are made from wood chips, pine needles, fence posts, etc. Cellulose is a type of material not a finite entity.

Jerry - I'm probably mistaken here. But wasn't the first H322 packaged in the 70's military surplus 8208 powder? (aka GI 322). Then Walt found the three lots, a couple of which were fast 8208. One or two were originally sold as T-322 by Thunderbird until Hodgdon threw a fit over the "322" connotation. It was soon shortened to T-32. By the late 70's the first surplus batch Hodgdon bought was running out. They then contracted ICI Ardeer out of Scotland to make it. And they did until the plant burned in the early 90's. H322 was also produced in Australia among other places.

Moot point now but I'm a bit of history nut.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Jerry - I'm probably mistaken here. But wasn't the first H322 packaged in the 70's military surplus 8208 powder? (aka GI 322). Then Walt found the three lots, a couple of which were fast 8208. One or two were originally sold as T-322 by Thunderbird until Hodgdon threw a fit over the "322" connotation. It was soon shortened to T-32. By the late 70's the first surplus batch Hodgdon bought was running out. They then contracted ICI Ardeer out of Scotland to make it. And they did until the plant burned in the early 90's. H322 was also produced in Australia among other places.

Moot point now but I'm a bit of history nut.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Lee, I may not have the numbers I exact order, but, yes, the original T was an 8208. Where the 322 number came from I forgot. I have an email on one of these computers somewhere from Walt that explains the early powders. Walt had 2 21,000# lots. The really good one was the most popular for the PPC.

I have about 1/2# of the good one that Smiley Hensley gave me when we first started working on IMR/Canada about 2000-2001. We sent them some of that lot and some "virgin" 8208 (lot 45710).

Walt has told me this story 2-3 times but I keep forgetting the details.

Walt Berger gave one lot (of three) the name T-322. All three lots were really 8208 and he and Don Geraci chose the best lot for BR and Walt called it T 322 to distinguish it from the other two lots. He chose 322 because this powder had about the same burn rate as H322. When Hodgdon objected to the use of 322, Walt changed the name to T-32. This information is from Walt Berger. Good shooting...James Mock

other powders for the 6PPC

Dear Sirs.

What happened to the magic load of 29.5 grains of Norma 201?
Or another standard in the early days of the 6PPC.....25.0 grains 4198?

Best regards,
Magnus Sigurðsson
Reykjavik
ICELAND
P.s Sunny / 33.8 Fahrenheit

Magnus - I agree with you on the IMR 4198. I've loaded both 24.5 and 25 grains of 4198 with 68 grain bullets in a 14" twist barrel with very good results. It doesn't fill the case up into the neck like some other powders do, but it shoots very good groups. It is much softer to shoot also, than some of the 30 grain loads I've seen. I haven't tried Norma 201. That's something I'll have to look into.

27-T

Back