Ordering a reamer, what to decide?

How so, when the reamer can be ordered to produce any desired clearance from a sized case?

Brainfart, they don't CLICK, they STICK....

They stick in the sizing die. I had to think about it for a minute, I went through so many iterations of oversized/undersized/no-sized ("bump") before coming up with my fat-butts that I'd forgotten the problems associated with factory sizing dies. The problem is that factory sizing dies are too small at the base. I've a 6BR chamber, a 6PPC chamber a 308-.200 and a 300WSM built off factory dies and they all start to squeak before the primer pockets get loose.....this is what FINALLY convinced me to just QUIT trying to save a buck and order the reamers from the brass, the resizer from the fired cases. Or to just have Dave spec them both, run them up on the comparator together and be DONE, and to make everything BIG ENOUGH that it doesn't bind, click or stick.

The early Redding 6PPC dies were the culprit there, I dunno about later PPC dies. My current PPC reamer is completely different than any I know of. The other three are just SAAMI spec off-the-shelf dies.

And then there's THROATS...... lotta buggarup possibilities there :) ......

LOL

al

So far, having done this a half dozen times for myself and friends, no problemo. I start out with well worn brass that has been fired and FL sized many times. This is so that the spring back due to work hardening will be maximized, so that when I size the cases that they will come out of the die as the largest that it will produce. Then we measure the sized brass, determine what clearances we want between it and the finished chamber, add them to the brass body dimensions. and order a reamer. It works. What's the big deal?
Boyd

So far, having done this a half dozen times for myself and friends, no problemo. I start out with well worn brass that has been fired and FL sized many times. This is so that the spring back due to work hardening will be maximized, so that when I size the cases that they will come out of the die as the largest that it will produce. Then we measure the sized brass, determine what clearances we want between it and the finished chamber, add them to the brass body dimensions. and order a reamer. It works. What's the big deal?
Boyd

I dunno... I guess you're not shooting hot loads? Everything I shoot expands the casehead a little before settling down. Enough that factory dies are too tight in several cases no pun intended.

I wish it DID work for me :)

al

Back