Opinions on Kelbly KLP Stock?

Kelbly KLP stock

I think they are excellent and I have two, one in a Sporter with a Kodiak action and the other on a HV with a Teddy action and love to shoot both guns. They shoot very well far better than I can and franckly can't see much difference in gun handling compared to the scoville stocks (also have 2) when shooting it on my Farley and gator bag. I just pay attention to gun balance and use a dead bottom on my rear gator bag.

Al,

Thank you for your reply. If you don't mind my asking, what bag/material did you use with it? Dave Rabin

Dave, I used a tall sided, short eared, flat bottomed Protector. All leather with minimal spacing between the ears at the bottom. It didn't like the bottom of the butt riding on a 'flat' between the ears. The leather ears worked better than the Cordura.....the Cordura made things a bit too lively with a .30. For a little bitty cartridge, the Cordura might be okay. -Al

FYI, I use the 3-stitch DR with short Cordura ears for the Leonard (Adamovich - sp) stocks. It works fine the the Kelbly/600 and Cecil Tucker stocks I have.
(The Kelbly/600 is what I call a special stock Kelblys made out of solid graphite that weighs 6 pounds by itself. It is a great platform for a 600 yard LG gun where the weight limit is 17#. The Kelbly/600 makes an excellent UL/HB using a 1.4" barrel for those who don't want to lug a railgun around. My rail hasn't been out o my shop in 3 years now!---anyone want to buy it?)

I am not sure what the advantages of the KLP design are. Kelbly says it is for shooting free recoil. I have a Kelbly HCFB on my BAT action 222. I always shoot it free recoil. It tracks just fine. The HCFB also has the added bonus of being able to be shot off hand; that is if you are a lot stronger than I am. With my BAT action and Krieger barrel it is too heavy for me to hold with any stability. Kelbly also says the HCFB makes a great varmint stock. Again, I would agree if shooting small furry animals at long ranges appealed to me.

You are doing to spend your shooting time shooting at furry animals at long range?
How small are the furry animals and what do you consider long range??

You are doing to spend your shooting time shooting at furry animals at long range?
How small are the furry animals and what do you consider long range??

Just a little humor there. I know most shooters figure 500 yards as the beginning of long range. Where I live, I need to drive a very long distance to be that far away from anything and still be able to see it (too many trees in the way). When I had my Ruger No. 1V in 220 Swift, I found there was no place to let it stretch its legs and do what it was made for. I also came to realize that I have no interest in shooting any animal unless I intend to eat it, or it intends to eat me.

For those reasons, I sold all three of my expensive varmint rifles and put the money into my BAT action 222 bench gun and a couple of decent rimfire bench guns. These days, I just enjoy making tiny holes in paper at close (50 yard) and medium (100-200 yard) ranges with my bench guns. If I ever have the urge to shoot squirrels or coyotes, I still have two rifles in 22 WMR. and a Ruger No 1A in 222 Remington. If I cannot get close enough to a varmint to be effective with the Ruger, I just will not take the shot.

What I was really trying to say in my last post was the Kelbly HCFB works great as a pinch trigger/free recoil stock, while also functioning as an off hand varmint stock. I have posted pictures of that stock in other threads. If you have not seen it, here it is:

One more note. Since I began shooting this rifle free recoil, the huge black butt pad is gone and I replaced the Weaver T-36 with a Leupold BR 36 that was bumped to 50X.

Back