Opine Please: Weight sys.

zippy06

Tim B.
I have a Metric Stock. With weight system.
Currently weighs 10 lbs. 6 oz.
Can make a weight to increase the weight to around 13 lbs.?????:eek:
Rifle shoots great. But, I avg. around .350 agg. 2 GUN. After 1st. year.

Should this be done???

Do other shooters see an advantage to a weight sys......???????
LV vs. HV.

Heavy vs Light Varmint

There are a few exceptions but the only reason to swap from a LV rifle to a HV is that the HV shoots better. One exception I found was a fellow that said "I bought it and I'm darn well gonna shoot it."

Sometime in the past, advice to a new guy was to build a heavy varmint rifle as they are "easier to shoot". We still hear that once in a while but the recorded aggs no longer support that thinking. I don't have a feel for the number of folks that actually change rifles (or add weights) for HV but the aggs don't show improvement.

Sooo...it doesn't appear (at least to me) that it's worth the trouble.

Zippy

I used to shoot a 6ppc HV, but as Wilbur said, it tends to be more trouble than it is worth. I honestly could see no improvement at all over my Sporter.

Of course, if you do have a weight system, what ever you can get back there might make things a little easier. I doubt you can add more than a pound with what ever weight system you have.

There is a situation where building a HV is the thing to do, and that is if you are shooting some type of 30 cal in Varmint for Score. The NBRSA recognizes only HV during this one year trial period, and the IBS, while keeping records for 10.5 pound Rifles, does not actually have a class for them. In other words, if you shoot a 10.5 pound Rifle in IBS, and set a record, it will be recognized. But, you will be competing heads up against HV Rifles for the individule awards of that day.

When I built my 30 cal HV, I actually started out with a BRX Stock dedicated for HV that weighed 36 ounces. That is the correct way to build a HV.

If you are going to shoot a 30 in Varmint for Score, build a 30 from the beginning. For lighter recoil Rifles, just stick with a 10.5 pound Sporter............jackie

Francis, Wilbur, and Jackie thanks.
Just one of those things, that bounce around in your head. It's there why not use it? I have not made the weight, yet.....

Thanks Tim

Last edited:
Tim,

I think Bob always used a Jerry Simison weight system. I would get two more weights from Jerry, one that is one oz. heavier than the one in the gun and one that is 2 oz. heavier. They are fairly cheap.

Put the weight in that brings the gun right up to 10 lb. 8 oz. No harm will be done and it will shift the center-of-balance slightly to the rear, almost always a good thing. When you get another barrel, you may have to switch weights back to the lighter one, depending on the weight of the new barrel.

For years I did the above and checked the gun's weight on Kelbly's scale when at the Super Shoot, ending up using the weight that weighed exactly 10-1/2 lbs. on their scale.

When my gun weighed in right at Kelbly's I have only rarely had to argue with any club I was shooting at about gun weight. The only exception was one club who only calibrated their scale every ten years or so.

That weight system is a good and handy thing. Hang on to it.

Dick

According to Mike Ratigan

The addition of weight in the butt stock helps. He has a 3# rod of Tungsten that he adds. His record speaks for itself. Good shooting...James

Back