Only in Texas

JerrySharrett

Senile Member
SPEAKING GERMAN IN TEXAS.
In Texas there's a small town called New Braunfels, where there's a large German-speaking population.

One day, some weeks ago, a local rancher driving down a country road noticed a man using his hand to drink water from the rancher's stock pond.

The rancher rolled down the window and shouted, "Mein Herr, trink das Wasser nicht. Die Kuehe haben da rein geschissen." This means: “Mister, don't drink the water. The cows have pooped in it."

The man shouted back, "I'm from New York and just down here campaigning for Obama's health care plan. I can't understand you. Please speak in English."

The rancher replied, "Use both hands."

This is off the subject:
but when you mentioned New Braunfels it brought back memories when my wife and I lived in a small block apartment in Seguin (1962) and she worked at the Super Dog in New Braunfels, I had a 55 Chevy and belonged to the Quarter Miles. Damn it just seems like yesterday.

Year was 1964 and I'm on a school bus carrying our high school baseball team to play in the State baseball finals held in Austin, Tx. We'll finish 3rd in state in our high school class. Anyway, somewhere between Houston and Austin we'll stop at a roadside store. It had two of the old style glass top crank gas pumps in front of it. Building was made of wood. We go in to get a soft drink and a snack and in the back of the store are four locals, all in overalls, sitting around a table playing cards and drinking a beer. They were chattering up a storm while playing cards Only words I could understand were the curse words, rest was in German.

Back