Old time bedding question!

D

da357mag

Hi Guys! I have a Win M70 22-250, and it has been badly abused! I don't know how many people have had this rifle but it is a mess! The biggest problem is the inletting. It has the barrel channel "resined in " and I mean in front of the chamber at the start of the barrel it is at least 1/8" deep! I have been grinding it out but it is getting to the point that as much that is coming out I am getting concerned! I am going to bed the recoil lug and about the first two inches of the channel and in the rear at the tang.
The rifle is a 1977 M70 going on the SN, and I guess back then it was common practice to do this. So I am wondering if anyone has ran across this, and if so how did you correct it? In the shape it's in now I can't get a tighter group than 3" and 100 yards! I had a pre 64 in the 70s that would shoot sub MOA at 250 yards as long as I did my part! So I know it has potential Then after I get done with the inside, I have to redo the outside! it is all banged up and all I will be able to do it get rid of the scratches, and some of the dents! Also there is some of this stuff stuck all over the bottom of the barrel! Any ideas (short of burning it!) would be welcome! Thanks in advance! Doug

For removal of the resin from the barrel, I have had good luck with this method: Wrap the affected area with two thicknesses of paper towel. Soak it with MEK and immediately cover completely with aluminum foil sealed to the barrel at both ends with tape, rubber bands, etc. Make sure the seam is crimped together tightly as well. The idea is to create an vapor tight enclosure over the paper towel to prevent evaporation of the MEK.
Overnight will usually soften up the epoxy enough to make it easy to scrape off.

RWO

A 22-250 from 1977 - badly abused... your words.

How is the condition of the rifling? Is it worth saving or should you be re barreling?

Hawg it out, wrap the barrel with 1/8" of masking tape and set 'er back down.

Better than new

al

Swmft,
For an old concrete guy maskerading as a gunsmith in training the spelling you offered doesn't work! I am quite sure it should be "DUCK TAPE"!!lol

was that an attempt at humor or do you not know that the real/oroginal tape is duct tape ? used in the heating/ac world to seal ducting......
nasau tape co...makes the best...
mike in co
Swmft,
For an old concrete guy maskerading as a gunsmith in training the spelling you offered doesn't work! I am quite sure it should be "DUCK TAPE"!!lol

It was definately an attempt at humor, I definately know the difference! Just trying give a ras to Al. As a Construction superintendent I can't begin to tell you how much of this I have seen used over the years!

There are currently three manufacturers offering "Duck Tape" that I know of. And yes, it's a good way to bulk out the masking tape to get a nice thickness.

LOL

al

Back