Old school rifle build

Mike,
I thought that the Bruno/McMillan came about because he and Gary Ocock were not particularly fond of the styling of the EDGE stock. I believe that it shares some of the same structural features.
Boyd

The butt is shaped a lot like the old SG&Y stock, but is made with the Edge technology, the forend is shaped quite a bit different. It's probably a combination of both that they didn't like the styling of the Edge stock and they combined it with some of the features of the SG&Y stock. The McMillan Edge stock is a pretty boxy looking stock on the forend. I have two rifles with the Edge stock and like the way they handle and shoot however their styling doesn't do much for me either.

If you want a period correct scope that covers everybody at that time I have a Lyman 20X bumped to 30X by Wally Seibert with a TK Lee dot installed by Dan Green. Just haven't been able to bring myself to sell that scope until now. Might even have some of the Bushnell rings we used to go on it. PM me or email if you're interested. Old style McMillan stock is the way to go.

tooleyrifles@carolina.rr.com

Dave

Dave, tell us about the Tooley MBR stock. I guess you designed it. Did you own the mold for it or just come up with the design and McMillan did the rest. Kind of like the Lee Six Hall pattern unlimited stock.

Last edited:
Mike,

The story behind the MBR is I beat up Dick Davis for about two years to make a stock for 1K use. I had every smith I know call up and order a few. They could always cancel if they didn't like it. When Dick finally relented we designed it in 5 minutes over the phone. I had been using a lot of the McHale pattern and we just ran a rod from the the bottom of the pistol grip to the butt and filled it in with bondo then extended the forend some and made it 3" wide. Wham Bam and we were done. The rest is history.
And no I don't own the mold. I wish I did but I let that one slip away. It's probably the most copied target stock ever.

Hey I need to talk to you. Give me a call when it's convenient.

Dave

I have some Benchmaster parts, maybe 2 complete receivers. One is aluminum with steel inserts. The bolt body is aluminum also.

Back