old n133 smells a little strong

martin22250

Dustin Martin
I traded a guy some varget for 5.5lbs of n133. The lot sticker on the 8 lb jug says xxx/99. It smells stronger than my new 1lb bottle of 133 Do yuns think it is fine?

Bad Powder

I have discarded at least 6 pounds of bad VihtaVouri powder. It was mostly dated 94-95. Nasty acrid odor equals bad. A slightly stronger acetone smell is fine. The pink lids on the jugs turn yellow when the powder goes bad and any steel in the vicinity rusts.

Goes bad.. :-(

I have discarded at least 6 pounds of bad VihtaVouri powder. It was mostly dated 94-95. Nasty acrid odor equals bad. A slightly stronger acetone smell is fine. The pink lids on the jugs turn yellow when the powder goes bad and any steel in the vicinity rusts.

Take heed all... >> It was mostly dated 94-95. Nasty acrid odor equals bad... A slightly stronger acetone smell is fine. The pink lids on the jugs turn yellow when the powder goes bad and any steel in the vicinity rusts.

cale

Store it safely!

There have been some stories, some told first hand, of powder that spontaneously lit off. Store the powder in a safe location and shoot it as soon as possible. Truth is, I've got some old powder, that I can't bear to toss, sitting on the carport that really needs the same treatment.

I had some old powder like that as well. It was giving off a terrible odor. I sealed the bottle with celephane under the lid and put the jug in a gallon zip lock bag.
I kept the bottle on the bench about 1 foot under the shelf where I store my Berger bullets. I opened 2 boxes of SEALED Bergers and found the bullets were darkened and discollored! Only the bullets on the top of the box were like that.

I took the jug outside and fertilized my lawn with it!!!!

Like they said above, ANYTHING in the vacinity of the bottle will corrode and rust!!!

Wolfdawg

Bad pwdr

At a shoot this year, someone let me smell some bad powder. Believe me, if you ever smell anything like that there will be no doubt in your mind that is bad. Totally different smell that will almost make you ill.

Get rid of it immediately!

If you smell an acrid pungent odor (not a sweet ethereal odor or odor similar to paint solvent), the powder is decomposing and releasing NOx gases - possibly combining with moisture, forming nitric acid. It is dangerous/toxic and should be disposed of properly.

It don't smell like acid I would say kinda like strong acetone, I used it over the weekend at the east west, the guys I was loading by thought it was fine.
Dustin

At a shoot this year, someone let me smell some bad powder. Believe me, if you ever smell anything like that there will be no doubt in your mind that is bad. Totally different smell that will almost make you ill.

Hey Mark.... That was me....
Bad of me not to introduce myself better.... Next time..!

cale

Hey Mark.... That was me....
Bad of me not to introduce myself better.... Next time..!

cale

Hi Cale,

You may have done an excellent job introducing yourself, I'm horrible with names!

I appreciate you letting me smell that powder. I now know that when powder goes bad, there is no guessing.

Mark

Back