old bullets

P

phil evans

rummaged in old storage room, came across:
1. red and black box, 100 SOLID BASE BULLETS, NOSLER.22 Cal (.224)- 52 grain, MATCH, price tag of $4.90.
Affiliate of Leupold & Stevens INC, Beaverton, Oregon, U S A
2. tan box, 100, .224" .22 cal SISK Bullets, BENCHREST, 55 GR. HOLLOW POINT, made by R. B. SISK, Iowa Park, Tex.
3. tan box, 100, .224" .22 cal SISK Bullets, EXPRESS, 63 GR. SOFT POINT, made by R. B. SISK, Iowa Park, Tex.

2&3 are circa 1962, no idea on age of nosler.
any collectors value or just shoot them up in my new S&W M&P-15 Sport, 5.56 NATO, 1/8 R5 ?

be happy, go shooting

rummaged in old storage room, came across:
1. red and black box, 100 SOLID BASE BULLETS, NOSLER.22 Cal (.224)- 52 grain, MATCH, price tag of $4.90.
Affiliate of Leupold & Stevens INC, Beaverton, Oregon, U S A
2. tan box, 100, .224" .22 cal SISK Bullets, BENCHREST, 55 GR. HOLLOW POINT, made by R. B. SISK, Iowa Park, Tex.
3. tan box, 100, .224" .22 cal SISK Bullets, EXPRESS, 63 GR. SOFT POINT, made by R. B. SISK, Iowa Park, Tex.
2&3 are circa 1962, no idea on age of nosler.
any collectors value or just shoot them up in my new S&W M&P-15 Sport, 5.56 NATO, 1/8 R5 ?

Shoot them and be happy. I just paid $245/ 1000 for real custom bullets

Those bullets are somewhat collectable. You're not a lottery winner. But they haven't been made for years and when they are gone they will be gone forever. I have about 30 boxes of the different Sisk bullets and they will sell for anywhere between $10 and $25 a box, in sealed boxes with good labels. The Nosler Solid Base are about the same.

Don't expect supreme accuracy from them. The Express bullets were intended for the 220 Swift. The Benchrest bullets were for BR shooting but the bullets today are so much better that there's really not much comparison. The same for the Noslers.

If the boxes are in good shape you might take them to a gun show just to see what you could get for them.

Ray

I shot thousands of these from the first AR we had, dad wasn't exactly "happy" using his purchased BR bullets that way at the time but I haven't ran out yet.

from hornaday volume 1 and sierra - made up 3 loads will shoot tomorrow, all using H4895.
will use S&W sport - so far best is 1.276moa.

update.
shot tues., not much accuracy with sisk or nosler(~2.15moa).
new bullets: sierra 55gr, speed around 3100, using H4895, grouped twice as small as the above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back