Ogive Length

Fla mac

All,
I would like some information about base to ogive length on 30 cal. 118gr, .925, J4 jackets (Blackmon dies) bullet lengths. I have been making my own bullets for about 5 years and would like to compare my ogive length to some other bullet makers. I know that the length will change with the amount of lube that you have on your bullets before you point them. My bullets run from about .345 to .365. When I make bullets I sort them by ogive length and load by groups. If anyone is making their own bullets let me know your length.
John
Mims, Fl

ogive Length

Your running about.002 variation {very good]
I'm running about.0015. On Detsch dies.

ogive Length

Sorry wrong bullets.
I'll check the 30s thats .002 or so on the 6mms
Ok so here goes its only.008 on he shortest to longest

Last edited:
All,
When I make bullets, I make about 200 at one time. When I start to point them I will set the pointing die to about .347”, during the pointing of the bullets they will change +/- .003. I have made shot bullets and also long bullets to see which one shot the best. I have yet to see the difference, I know that the long bullets go into the case deeper than the short one (pressure change). I use a Wilson die so they all are the same length into the lands. Can anyone tell me which is suppose to shot best short or long? When I load for a match there is only +/-.002” between the bullet length, but from match to match can change +/- .005”. I would think you can adjust you scope for the change.
john

ogive length

seeing that your sorting your bullets why not just adjust the seating die to get the same OAL?
shims or mic type Wilson seater die. seems the best way. I make 1,000 at a time. sort as needed.
getting the die warm enough is the key for me cold die bullets are different from the ones that warm up. The first few are different quite a bit.008
Then things smooth out and they change very little after the die warms up. a noted bullet maker told me to warm the dies with a hair dryer.
That's supposed to get the lubes flowing , resulting in better measurements.
PS I could see a typo" .020 would really show.

Last edited:
Back