Not gun related but still kinda cool I think

N

NesikaChad

I'm a giant scale RC airplane 3D addict.

We are hosting a big fly in at the Buffalo Chip Campground Sept 11, 12, 13.

www.blackhillsairrally.com

I offered to donate some (which has turned into a pile) machine time to whittle up the trophies.

Here's a toolpath simulation of what I came up with. It's running now. These are 5" OD X 1/2" thick annealed brass plates.

Kinda neat.

Chad

DSC_0009-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Chad, your posts are always very interesting; I am impressed with your work, no matter what it is. :)

I grew up flying models and got into radio control when overseas in the Army. The sophistication and performance of today's RC helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft is truly amazing. I have said many times during the past few years, the gap between models and man-carrying aircraft gets smaller each year.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Gene Beggs

Thanks to RC, that's how I got into ham radio. It is wonderful to see this evolution from the late 50's till today.

Ya sure do nice work and it good to see you are also having fun with it.:D

1st op was in the lathe. Just facing both sides to clean up and bring to a uniform thickness (.550")

2nd op is captivating the OD with a chuck bolted to the mill table. I then whittled a .150" deep pocket on the back side.

3rd op is flipping the jaws around so that it bites the inside of the pocket. There isn't much tool pressure in any of this so I don't have to have crazy fixturing to get a good surface finishes. This is the op where all the "cool" stuff goes on.

I'll have a 4th op that involves engraving all the sponsors on the bottom of the "coaster". They are also being etched in the beer mugs.

Pretty simple as I'm a simple guy.:D

Very nice! I am learning CAD for a CNC mill we have acquired and maybe someday I'll be able to do some of the things you have done here.

By the way an old friend of mine owns Desert Aircraft, do you or any of your friends up there run any of his motors?

I have two DA's.

An 85cc and a 100cc twin.

Great engines.

I tried a 3W 55 and thus far I'm not very "enchanted" with it.

They look amazing... hell I want one!

They'll definitely make memorable trophies, since I guarantee anyone who gets one will put them to use.

regarding Snoopy...

... did you obtain permission to use that copyrighted image?

Just wondering, because you wouldn't want the Schulz estate to come after you, anymore than if you'd inscribed Darth Vader on a plaque -- which would result in a letter from the Lucas Film legal staff.

Such image assets are often (and rightfully) zealously guarded.

:cool:

Well, considering no one is making a dime off of any of this I don't see how it's really applicable. ALL the costs associated with this I have absorbed myself, cost of materials, tooling, programming time, cycle time, final polishing, etc.

All me and I'm not even running it through my shop as an expense.

If I draw a picture of snoopy on a sheet a paper and hand it to my daughter cause she did a good job on her homework am I subject to copyright infringement law?

I would certainly hope not. This is no different in principle.

Cheers.

Off topic a bit but I picked up a prototype 42% Kelly F-2 pylon racer this weekend. It's an older design but was brand new collecting dust in a basement.

Lyle Larson helped develop it I guess. The DOM is 1997.

I'm taking a stab into the unknown this winter. I'm going to make (from scratch) a forced induction two stroke for this animal. If that proves to be problematic then I'm going to put a turbine turboprop on it. That should haul the fricken mail. I'm looking for around 240mph.

We'll see. . .

Thanks for the interest and kind words all.

Cheers,

C

Back