Not as good as Stinnet's,

M

mks

but it may be the best group I will ever shoot. This was shot in a local score match, 5 shots at 100 yards, with a 30BR. The center ring is 3/8". To my best ability to measure, it is a 0.022" group. Just couldn't resist posting this.

Thanks for looking,
Keith

0.022 group closeup.jpg

I thought you had to put one bullet in a bull during a score match. Or is this a new discipline group-score or maybe score-group? :p

Actually I shot my first 30BR score match last Saturday. I was clean but had the lowest X count,11. Last month I shot my 6PPC and won, 250-17. I thought it was supposed to be the other way around, you got the higher X count with the 30BR. I hope I can find the tune for this rifle soon..

And that was a very nice group you shot.

Last edited:
God, that sure is purdy....how sweet it must be. Care to share pertinent component info???

Thanks, Randy. I don't mind sharing: Dan Honert bullets coated with boron nitride, 35gr H4198, Federal 205M primers, Lapua brass neck sized only about 3 times, Shadetree tuner, Bartlein 18 twist barrel, BAT 3-lug with a few design details of my own, homemade "porpoise" stock, Leupold 45x scope.

I thought you had to put one bullet in a bull during a score match. Or is this a new discipline group-score or maybe score-group? :p

Actually I shot my first 30BR score match last Saturday. I was clean but had the lowest X count,11. Last month I shot my 6PPC and won, 250-17. I thought it was supposed to be the other way around, you got the higher X count with the 30BR. I hope I can find the tune for this rifle soon..

And that was a very nice group you shot.

Jerry,
I have shot best with fairly hot loads, 34.8gr with naked bullets and 35gr with coated. One of my worst matches happened when I tried to hit a lower node at 33.8gr. Ugly! Good luck with your 30BR.

Keith

Jerry,
I have shot best with fairly hot loads, 34.8gr with naked bullets and 35gr with coated. One of my worst matches happened when I tried to hit a lower node at 33.8gr. Ugly! Good luck with your 30BR.

Keith

Keith, I haven't loaded anywhere near that high yet. I shot 118's at 33.0 of H4198. I tested up to 33.8 but that's as high as I went. I shoot free recoil. This 30BR is a light gun and it let's you know it. I gave my 6PPC heavy gun and a new Bartlein 1-17 barrel to Richard King for assembly. I'm mailing the bolt to Bat today to open up the bolt face and install a .308 extractor. I'll experiment with some of those "hot" loads in the meantime, but I don't think I'd want to shoot a bunch of them without some kind of cushioning material between the butt of the gun and my shoulder.

This 30BR is a light gun and it let's you know it.

Some are tough enough to shoot 120+ rounds in a match with a 30BR without a recoil pad, but not me. I use Kick Eez sorbothane, and it makes all the difference. Unless you are building a 10.5 lb gun on purpose, add weight until you are bumping right up against the 13.5 lb limit. It helps noticeably with both felt recoil and stability in the bags.

Bullet weight?

Keith, what is the weight of the bullet and the ogive. Most of us shooting 115-118 grainers are hitting that node. You have to be careful though when changing lots of powder from different years. I was using 34.9 of 2009 lot and when I started using a jug of 2012, my measure spewed out 35.4 instead of 34.9. I always start lower which was a good thing as 34.4 of 2012 gave me the same speed as the 34.9 of 2009. I never did get to try the 35.4!

Keith, what is the weight of the bullet and the ogive. Most of us shooting 115-118 grainers are hitting that node. You have to be careful though when changing lots of powder from different years. I was using 34.9 of 2009 lot and when I started using a jug of 2012, my measure spewed out 35.4 instead of 34.9. I always start lower which was a good thing as 34.4 of 2012 gave me the same speed as the 34.9 of 2009. I never did get to try the 35.4!

Randy,
Dan's bullet is 118 gr, 8 ogive. Although I weigh charges, I did notice that my latest lot of powder didn't fill the case as full, but not by much. How can you tell the date of manufacture? The muzzle velocity is probably around 3060 fps at 80 F.

Thanks,
Keith

Lot #

The orange sticker has 11 digit code on it. The first number is either a 1 or and 8 depending on whether it is a 1# jug or an 8# jug. The next 6 digits are the date in mm,dd,yy. The last 4 are the actual lot number.

The orange sticker has 11 digit code on it. The first number is either a 1 or and 8 depending on whether it is a 1# jug or an 8# jug. The next 6 digits are the date in mm,dd,yy. The last 4 are the actual lot number.

Oh, OK, thanks. I was shooting 2009 and switched to 2011. I hope the next jug I get is close to these.

2012 and 2013 are both faster than my 2009. I don't know about 2011 as I haven't had any. When I switched to 2012 from 2009, I had to drop my charge by 0.5 gr to keep the same speed. The 2012 was also more dense so I didn't have to compress the powder as much if at all when seating. With a 118-7 ogive, I had difficulty maintaining seating depth using the 2009. I don't remember any issues with the 2012 although prior to going to the line, I re-seated out of habit just the same.

but it may be the best group I will ever shoot. This was shot in a local score match, 5 shots at 100 yards, with a 30BR. The center ring is 3/8". To my best ability to measure, it is a 0.022" group. Just couldn't resist posting this.

Thanks for looking,
Keith

View attachment 15304

Keith that is a fantastic group no matter what cal. your are shooting. I guess those Yankee bullets like that barrel, I will be taking orders I figure that everybody shooting 30's will be wanting 10-20,000 of those magic bullets LOL. Anyway, is that the Scoville (sp) stock that you had built last years ;)? Did Jackie chamber your barrel and if so what reamer did he use? Or you use, I think you might be chambering your own barrels now. No since being humble about that group, it is very much to be proud of, again very nice.

Dan Honert

Thanks, Randy. I don't mind sharing: Dan Honert bullets coated with boron nitride, 35gr H4198, Federal 205M primers, Lapua brass neck sized only about 3 times, Shadetree tuner, Bartlein 18 twist barrel, BAT 3-lug with a few design details of my own, homemade "porpoise" stock, Leupold 45x scope.

After rereading this thread I see that it is the stock that you built, I was wondering about that silently. How about some pictures of that setup? Seeing that I have been absent from the score shoots this year I haven't had the pleasure of shooting with you and admiring your new rifles.

Dan Honert

After rereading this thread I see that it is the stock that you built, I was wondering about that silently. How about some pictures of that setup? Seeing that I have been absent from the score shoots this year I haven't had the pleasure of shooting with you and admiring your new rifles.

Dan Honert

Dan,
Long time, no see. I miss seeing your innovations in rifle balance, as well! Jackie did chamber the barrel, with his 0.015" freebore reamer. It results in the bullet being seated a little past halfway down into the neck. I will try to post a picture of the stock over the weekend.

Cheers,
Keith

How about some pictures of that setup?

Walnut stock 1-2comp.jpg

The stock was intended to be flexible in the vertical direction to provide compensation and stiff in the horizontal direction to avoid scatter in that direction. Not knowing how flexible it needed to be, I made it thin. It is 3" wide all the way from front to back, 1" deep forend and 3/4" deep buttstock. It turned out to be too flexible for 100 yards and not flexible enough for 200 yards. I am surprised about the 200 yard result, but this may be because the bore is quite a bit lower than a typical stock. This tends to produce less rotation on recoil, and therefore, less compensation. So I still have work to do to tune this stock for individual yardages.

Cheers,
Keith

Back