North Carolina 1,000 yard shooters

Charles E

curmudgeon
In less than 2 weeks, NC 100 Yard BR will have its first match at the Camp Butner facility.

I have no official position with the club, just been a member since 1996. But it occurred to me that a forum such as this allows for more communication than any simple website, so I'm going to start, at least, allowing us competitors to prepare for the match. Chime in if you can help in any way. But if all you've got is complaints, please start a new thread. I'm going to use my BR Central moderator position to keep this one thread useful; I will delete unhelpful posts.

Personal comfort:

At Hawks Ridge, we had covered cleaning benches, chairs, and a covered firing line. Not available yet at Butner. I'd plan on bringing a cleaning table if you need one, and a chair to sit on. You can clean rifles out of the back of a pickup truck, but it is not exactly fun. If you have a small awning or other shade, might want to bring that too, to keep rifles and ammunition out of the sun. (Anyboy with Butner experience on this one, let us know).

No food, no drinks. Plan on bringing your own. Maybe throw some extras in for the guy or gal who forgot.

Getting on target:

We won't have the bank with clay pigeons for initial sighting in. The target backers will be a bit bigger than the target, and the pits are in communication with the firing line, but you know how it is. The club left whatever big eyes it may have owned at Hawks Ridge. If anybody has big eyes, or even a good spotting scope on a full-size, stand-up tripod, it would help if you brought them.

For any first-time shooters, if you don't have a 1,000 yard zero, we can try to improve the odds before you get to the range. If you tell me the caliber, muzzle velocity, bullet weight, ballistic coefficient, and scope height above the bore, I'll run the numbers to estimate how to get a 1,000 yard zero using a 100 yard target. Post & answers on this thread, so anybody else using similar numbers can see the estimates.

Essentially, you're going to want to have the bullet somewhere from 23 to 28 inches (MOA) high at 100 yards. But that's a 5 MOA spread. 5 MOA equals 50 inches at 1,000 yards, so if we can refine that for anybody, it would be a plus. If you don't have good data on MV or BC, shoot at 100 yards and get the bullet to strike 25 inches above your aiming point.

Setting up & cleaning up.

I believe most of the "skill" needs have been met. But there will just be a lot of manual labor needed. If you can get there early & generally help out, let someone know.

We absolutely cannot leave until the range is clean. If not very many people help, the few who do will get home quite late, and not in a happy frame of mind. Dunno about you, but I've always tried to stay on the good side of a man or woman with a long-range rifle who knows how to shoot.

Charles Ellertson

The target backers will be a bit bigger than the target, and the pits are in communication with the firing line, but you know how it is. The club left whatever big eyes it may have owned at Hawks Ridge. If anybody has big eyes, or even a good spotting scope on a full-size, stand-up tripod, it would help if you brought them.
The carriages at Butner are motorized. This means thet two things that will get tired are:
  • Your thumb. From running the target up/target down button, AND;
  • Your patience. From fully up to fully down and back up again, one cycle takes 13 seconds. Not a big deal when shooting groups, but might be an issue if the format for sighters is pulling and marking between shots.
Good luck to all!

For any first-time shooters, if you don't have a 1,000 yard zero, we can try to improve the odds before you get to the range. If you tell me the caliber, muzzle velocity, bullet weight, ballistic coefficient, and scope height above the bore, I'll run the numbers to estimate how to get a 1,000 yard zero using a 100 yard target. Post & answers on this thread, so anybody else using similar numbers can see the estimates.
Link to an online ballistic calculator: http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/cgi-bin/jbmtraj_simp-5.0.cgi

Target carriers.

If your paying attention (have your spotter and paster ready & looking for the hit) you can cut the carrier time about in half you can reverse the carrier before it bottoms out and have it going up fairly quickly. Butner is a great place to shoot.

It really helps if your shooter is centered up..........

Butner

Charles:

The target carriers at Butner require a 6'X6' wood frame with a cardboard face. They fit into a two slots in the bottom the sides are held into place with baling twine. The wood frames are made with 1"X 6" attached with truss fasteners.

I assistted in running a match their last month and we shot on 42 of the 50 positions. I will be running the 800, 900, and 1000 yd match this weekend. I will let you know if we have any difficulties with any of the target carriers this weekend. There have been times when not all the carriers were operational.

The National Guard wants no vehicles on the grass at the 1000 yard line. there is parking along the road and a new parking lot accross the road. I would recomend shooters have a wheeled cart or wagon to bring their equipment from their vehicle to the line. Begining last summer the North State Shooters began setting up pop up tents behind the line for shade and cover. It works very well. Behind the line anlong the back of the grassy area is a tree line that provides good shade. Lawn chairs and popup tents in that area are out of the way and very popular also.

The National Guard is in the process of putting in a new sewer system, I understand that they ran out of money so there is a porta john accross the road behind the 1000 yard line.

I beleive Charles Ballard shoots with your club he also shoots at Butner regularly. He should also be a wealth of information about the Butner facilities.

Hope all goes well I look forward to shooting with you folks in the future.

Nat Lambeth

I was at the range last week arriving about 11:30 a.m. and there was already quite a bit of shade behind the 1000 yd firing points along the tree line so I'm thinking before 11:00 there will be shade and of course the pits are always out of the sun. A person might do just fine without a canopy and may be most uncomfortable when at the bench on the firing line. Hopefully in the not too distant future we can have canopy's to cover our shooting benches.
Shooters will need chairs, stools, etc. to use at the benches. The benches are approximately 34" tall if that helps in making sure you have a suitable seat.

Nat, All 50 target mechanisms were working about 3 weeks ago but I noticed last week that some of the wooden uprights are in a state of dis-repair. I guess if the target frame won't clip in the bailing twine will secure it to the 2X4 uprights. Come and shoot with us on Aug 1 if you can.

Butner as of July 25 2009.

I ran the Palma Match today at Butner and all but two targets (#5 and #25) carriers were working. Sargent Crabtree said the parts have been ordered to repair #25. We also tripped a relay on # 31 but got it running again. Because of light turn out we shot 4 relays on targets #26-#35 at 800, 900, and two 1000 yard matches.

We had a visit from Joel Pendergraft. What a fine gentleman.
You benchrest shooters better watch out because we might convert Joel to an F-Class shooter yet.

If I don't make it to your match, may it be a great match and you have a safe and fun time.

Nat Lambeth

Drove on out to Butner last Sunday to watch a bit of the highpower match.

First thing I noticed was the shooters commenting a bit about mirage. Likely there will be more mirage than at Hawks Ridge. But the wind look honest, very honest.

A letter went out telling people they'd have to police their own trash. What might not have been mentioned is that there are no waste barrels at Butner. You're going to have to carry it away. We'll bring a few plastic trash bags, but best thought is to bring your own.

I'm sure the first match will show us differences with Hawks Ridge. Some pluses, some minuses. An awful lot of work by a few people has been required just to bring this off. Complaints followed by "and I volunteer to do something about it" will be most welcome.

Good Wind flags will be absent the first match. I'll help with that; I'm excited about a range where the wind can likely be relied on to tell the truth more often than just flat lie (if right, that'll be one change!).+

Edit:

Forgot to mention. If you're coming from the west on I-85/I-40, best gas prices seem to be at exit 150 (Haw River) The Hess was $2.38.9 today (Tuesday). Prices in Butner on Sunday were at $2.39.9, but may have gone up a bit since Sunday.

The Butner exits are 189 and 191, off I-85. Exit 189 has gas and convenience stores, but no fast food I saw. Fast food is at 191. Directions from both exits to the range are on the North State Shooting Club website.

See you Saturday,

Charles

Last edited:
I read this site quite a bit but don't post much. I noticed Butner come up in a thread and though I would add the following.

This is a link to the club's website. Lots of information there.
http://www.northstateshootingclub.com/Frames/Frame_Home.htm

After you finish the match I think you may agree that if you can shoot in the conditions at Butner, you can shoot pretty much anywhere. Many of us have seen 8 or 9 flags blowing in different directions at the same time. There is a pond at the bottom of the 1000 yard berm which makes life interesting.

Definitely bring a cart. The parking along the road is tight for big matches.

It will be hot, brings lots of water. There are no fountains.

I didn't know you guys were coming down to shoot with us at Butner. Is there a match brochure, etc.?

I didn't know you guys were coming down to shoot with us at Butner. Is there a match brochure, etc.?

No match brochures but we are shooting 1000 yd benchrest under IBS rules. We shoot light and heavy gun classes as well as what we call factory class that is not sanctioned by IBS. Fees are $20 per gun (club members) and I think $25 for non members. Shooters will be expected to work the pits. Folks that shoot F Class Open have likely got all the equipment they would need to shoot our game. I hope some of the NSSC regulars at Butner will give it a try.

Our match schedule for the remainder of 2009 is
Aug 1, Oct 11, Oct 31 & Dec 12

Aug 1 will be one match each of light gun, factory class and heavy gun.
The remainder of the matches will be either 1 1/2 matches or 2 full matches per day.

As referenced above, and on the NC 1000 website, a match was scheduled for August 1, 2009 in Butner. Did the match take place on this date? Just curious if it took place as scheduled and if the results are posted somewhere. I do not see them on the NC1000 or IBS websites...

Thru the grapevine

Dave

Heard thru the grapevine that the match took place and have decent participation. It will take some time for everyone to gather themselves up and be back into it. Am certain Butch is working on getting the results together as it's only been a week, not like they have gone the entire year without posting any match results.

Rob

Thanks Rob! I will be on the lookout for the results...

No prob

No problem Jose...or were you Hose B? Could never keep that straight! lol

Anyway, hope to see you again at a match sometime. Harry Jones and Whitehorse are both in WV and not all that long a haul. If things slow down a bit at work I am gonna try for a NC match before end of the year.

Take care
Rob

Aside from some to-be-expected teething problems, the match went well. We had 32 HGs and 33 LGs, decent enough for a hot August day.

I'm sure the results will be posed soon. I don't remember them all. Left with a near-terminal case of heat exhaustion.

I do remember Leonard Baity won HG score. I *think* Ray Lowman won HG group. I know he did join the 10-shot "3's club" with a 3-something to win his HG relay.

Don't remember the LG Shootoff results.

Some people felt the mirage was high. Guess that's the way the world always looks to me. I thought Butner was an honest range when the wind was left or right. We had a few flags on the 900 yard berm, and when I was shooting anyway, the shots on the target agreed with the flags. A head- or tail-wind can be a problem anywhere; maybe we'll learn it at Butner. We'll be getting better flags before too much longer.

Nc 1000

As Charles stated, the match went well, but got HOT!!! We shot match 4 HG which was rained out earlier this year, and Match 5 LG. Best HG group, 3.858 best score, 98. LG best group, 4.439, best score, 50. Some groups in both classes in the 4" to 6" range, scores in the high 90's and high 40's.

We are using portable benches at Butner, and I want to state they are SOLID. I did not notice any wiggle or movement, and wish to thank all involved with their design and construction.

Wind did not seem to be a factor, and mirage was nothing worse than we've shot in before. All in all, a good range and a good day!!

Back