Norma Match Grade .22LR

L

lesloan

Has anybody here given this stuff a good try? I got a notification from Champion Shooters a day or two ago that they had it in stock, and had received a lot of praise for it. They even compared it (favorably!) to Eley Match. That part seems doubtful to me, but if true it'd be good news indeed - at half the price of Match. I have a brick on order for trial and a box that a shooting buddy gave me that's as yet untouched. Whadda y'all think?

RUAG is the parent company for Norma, RWS & GECO which all are now producing .22 ammo. Norma match .22 would compare to RWS Rifle Match, but not Ely Match (black box) more like Ely Club (orange box). Ely Match, RWS R50/R100 and Lapua Midas+ would be comparable - experience with different rifles, will usually like one of these best. Haven't tried Norma Match, but have the Norma Tac - it's pretty average at best. But you never know what's going to shoot best in your rifle.

Have an old BSA model 12 martini action target 22 rifle that I use with good results in our ranges monthly open sight 50 yd competition. Don't think I've finished lower than third place in the competition over the last 18 months. Present ammo I use is the Norma match. It replaced the Norma TAC I'd been using since it was first made available. The TAC shot well for me. But, found the Match to be more accurate/consistent. Have tried a fair number of the much more pricier brands of match ammo in my rifle since I bought it 7 or so years ago. Keep maybe 6 different kinds of decent shooting target/match 22 ammo in range box and whenever some fellow shooter shows up at our range with a 22 rifle that has good potential for accuracy, I'll allow them to try the ammo. The Norma TAC always does well for them. LOL, don't let them shoot my Norma Match, just tell them its better.

I bought a brick of it, and besides myself, let others try it in a iron sight match. It shoots pretty darn good till you get the flyer. I guess that is why it is 7.50 per box. Doug

Norma Match 22

Lot number is on end flap of each ammo box. It is 5 digits. R50 has a similar system.
First tests with the one lot looks very good...........Seen it shot at 25 and 50 yds with winners at
both with different shooters. For price it looks good.

Norma Match 22

..Will the different sellers identify lot numbers and sell the lot of your choice?

Last edited:
Tommy what lot was yours?

At this point in time It looks like good club ammo...........seen 3 different winners
in club shoots. The price makes it attractive to new shooters. Would I take it to ARA or PSL match yes but
I would have my ELY there also.

Norma Match testing

i got a brick last week and went to the range this morning. My 50/50 Sporter seemed to like it in spite of some switchy conditions. I shot a 246-13x so I'm viewing it as very acceptable practice ammo. I then tried it in my 10 1/2 and the conditions were noticeable worsening. I concluded it is not good practice ammo for that rifle. Both rifles were from Eck, both have Rock Creek barrels, etc! Like most people say, you have to find out what your particular rifle likes, as most of them have different tastes in ammo.
Bill Schertz

Lot No

46UI1 OR 46U11 Is whats shown on the end of the box. Shot it in my Anschutz,Kimber,M12 and CM-2 and it was all over the place ,no real consistency from my viewpoint.Wolf Target ouRshot it everytime as well as SK+ for about a buck less a box. Your rifles may shoot it better but in mine it was c##p

i got a brick last week and went to the range this morning. My 50/50 Sporter seemed to like it in spite of some switchy conditions. I shot a 246-13x so I'm viewing it as very acceptable practice ammo. I then tried it in my 10 1/2 and the conditions were noticeable worsening. I concluded it is not good practice ammo for that rifle. Both rifles were from Eck, both have Rock Creek barrels, etc! Like most people say, you have to find out what your particular rifle likes, as most of them have different tastes in ammo.
Bill Schertz
Bill, are you living in Florida year around, or are you a "snowbird" ? I've about had it with these Virginia winters ! Best wishes, Glynn

Glynn,
Just feel lucky you weren't up around the Gorham Pond area during this past winter. You'd have packed up and left long ago. We got a total of over 12 feet of snow with an unpresidented number of below zero days and very, very few where it ever came close to approached freezing… Yup, glad it's April, even if we are still looking out upon snowcovered everything. But, it won't be long now before the grass will once again show, like maybe by this time next week?
Dave

Glynn,
Just feel lucky you weren't up around the Gorham Pond area during this past winter. You'd have packed up and left long ago. We got a total of over 12 feet of snow with an unpresidented number of below zero days and very, very few where it ever came close to approached freezing… Yup, glad it's April, even if we are still looking out upon snowcovered everything. But, it won't be long now before the grass will once again show, like maybe by this time next week?
Dave

Dave, my son-in-laws parents still live on Gorham pond, year-around !! They are about ready to retire (teachers) & they made a trip to Florida during spring break. They usually measure how severe the winter is by how many times they have to shovel their roof ! I'm pretty sure they are gonna "bail out" this summer. I hope you are feeling well. All the best, Glynn

Back