newly built swindelhurst

C

chris roland

im haveving a swindelhurst built with lilja brl harrells tunner kelbly brfb stock. have i gone the wrong direction

I've shot one for a while and I truly love it. Now it boils down to who's srewing it all togeather.

YES! you have gone horribly wrong. I feel sorry for you, and am willing to take it off your hands for you:D

Well you asked.

Well, you asked so I will tell you my opinion. Did you go the wrong direction....my answer is, maybe, but hopefully not.

You definetely have all of the right parts,
Kelblys builds great centerfire rifles, and they may build a good rimfire rifle but I would probably take my parts and send them to a smith that specializes in rimfire rifles. There are some small differences in almost every process of installing the barrel.

As an example..... Ron Hoehn, he can build one hell of a centerfire rifle, but he does not do his own rimfire rifles.

You might get the best rifle in the country back from Kelblys, and I hope you do. They are a great shop for centerfire.

Charlie

Last edited by a moderator:
In response to Charlie Peters post that we here at Kelbly's are a maybe in the rimfire game as a gunsmith is a bit disappointing to hear. We have produced some very fine rimfire rifles that have won a lot of RIMFIRE matches. It is true we do most of our work on centerfire rifles, but we also do alot of rimfire work. One of our most notable customers, Kevin Nevius, in rimfire won the Critchfield Trophy Plaque in 2008 and as been close to winning it the three years before this. The Critchfield Trophy is the National Smallbore Champion at the National Matches held at Camp Perry every year.

Jim

Jim, Thanks for setting the record straight.

Chris asked the question....that is my opinion.
I would certainly not want to do or say anything that would hurt your business or reputation. I know your shop does great work and you make..... or used to make what I would consider to be the best rimfire action ever produced, I have one.

I am not saying you don't build a great rimfire, you very well may...I shoot alot of ARA benchrest and I see a bunch of actions, stocks and triggers with the Kelbly name, listed, but not under the gunsmith column of the equipment list. If you look at the equipment list for the ARA Nationals, over the last 4 years it is listed twice under the gunsmith column.

Jim, If my post is out of line or you feel I created ill feelings say the word and I will gladly delete my posts in this thread.

I'm not here to create bad feelings or appear to blemish you or anyone elses reputation.

Sincerely,

Charlie

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry for the drama

guys im sorry if i created a problem. i just wanted to get some opions on brl ond tuner combo. some guys ar talking alot about the shilen ratchet and i was woundering what what people had to say about liljas. as far as the action and gunsmith goes im very confident in who is smithing my rifle. i have done a lot of home work on this project and quickly realised the swindelhust is the best money can buy. as far as jims quality of work, rimfire or not they know what to do, well lets put it this way u should look up my dad and check out his 6br rig, its absoluty a piece of art and man does it shoot!!!! no dought the rimfire rig is going to be a winner in the PSL and ARA list. cant wait to get it!!

sorry for the confusion
chris

Kelbly's

Gentlemen:

Kelbly's has done rimfire work for me for years (I do my own too, but have several Anschutz 2000 barrels done by Greg Wally - and Greg does ALL my Swindlehurst work).

Greg (and Kelbly's) are the best out there - absolutely second to NONE.

The barrel I used to win the Nationals last year was finished by Greg - he is a great friend, and the very best at this craft.

Calfee (and others) have convinced many that rimfire smithing is some kind of "black art" - which is just a huge pile.

I have smithed them for years (with good results) - this stuff IS NOT hard. A little attention to detail and setup is all it takes.

Just wanted to set the record straight

kevin

anschutz

Gentlemen:

Kelbly's has done rimfire work for me for years (I do my own too, but have several Anschutz 2000 barrels done by Greg Wally - and Greg does ALL my Swindlehurst work).

Greg (and Kelbly's) are the best out there - absolutely second to NONE.

The barrel I used to win the Nationals last year was finished by Greg - he is a great friend, and the very best at this craft.

Calfee (and others) have convinced many that rimfire smithing is some kind of "black art" - which is just a huge pile.

I have smithed them for years (with good results) - this stuff IS NOT hard. A little attention to detail and setup is all it takes.

Just wanted to set the record straight

kevin

kevin
i also have a 54 anschutz that im wanting Kelblys to spice up a bit. fit in new stock and barrell. any suggestions. want the gun to be a backup

Anschutz round 54 actions...

I am assuming you have a round 14xx thru 19xx series action Chris.

Great rifles have been built on this action - there are many who will not use the 2000 series actions because they believe these more competitive (rumor had it that that is why the round action was never phased out when the flat bottomed 2000 action was introduced).

Many Olympic champions will shoot nothing but the round 54 action.

I have rebarreled (and seen them rebarreled) a number of ways - all of them sucessful. You can turn the shank and press / glue it in or thread them (Kenyon threaded them - I do the same based on his work). When I thread these actions, the shank thread OD turns out around .812" - at 20 TPI.

When I bed them, I typically use pillars and make a new recoil lug (just to make sure the action returns to the bedding in the same location each time its removed). I like the pillars because the forward screw can crush the stock material over time and contact the shank threads - making barrel removal a real task. I stop the bedding just before the bolt notch and let the rear free float.

You will love the Kelbly BR stocks!

Good luck,

kev

54 action

I am assuming you have a round 14xx thru 19xx series action Chris.

Great rifles have been built on this action - there are many who will not use the 2000 series actions because they believe these more competitive (rumor had it that that is why the round action was never phased out when the flat bottomed 2000 action was introduced).

Many Olympic champions will shoot nothing but the round 54 action.

I have rebarreled (and seen them rebarreled) a number of ways - all of them sucessful. You can turn the shank and press / glue it in or thread them (Kenyon threaded them - I do the same based on his work). When I thread these actions, the shank thread OD turns out around .812" - at 20 TPI.

When I bed them, I typically use pillars and make a new recoil lug (just to make sure the action returns to the bedding in the same location each time its removed). I like the pillars because the forward screw can crush the stock material over time and contact the shank threads - making barrel removal a real task. I stop the bedding just before the bolt notch and let the rear free float.

You will love the Kelbly BR stocks!

Good luck,

kev

yes it is a 1907 54 action, thinking about having it threaded and fitted to kelbly brfb. thanks for the helpful info

chris

Back