newbie question

Codeman

Im looking to purchase my first BR rifle soon and possibly shooting in a local match sometime soon.I have a few questions:

1. How many rounds do most of you take to a match?

2. Why reload at the range instead of bringing ample preloaded rounds?

3. Is an arbor press necessery (if I decided to load at the range could I bring my standard press)

I'd be shooting in a LV class

Im looking to purchase my first BR rifle soon and possibly shooting in a local match sometime soon.I have a few questions:

3. Is an arbor press necessery (if I decided to load at the range could I bring my standard press)

1. 50-70

2. for one thing you can change your load during a match easily but many people myself included do come pre loaded.

3. Numerous people do this but if you intend to use a Wilson type straight line seater you need an arbor press.

Dick

Newbie ...

I take 50 rounds for each yardage and preload at home. Reloading at the range, as far as I'm concerned, is a big distraction. Some of the best shooters preload. Jim Borden and Lou Murdica are two that come to mind.

I take 50 rounds for each yardage and preload at home. Reloading at the range, as far as I'm concerned, is a big distraction. Some of the best shooters preload. Jim Borden and Lou Murdica are two that come to mind.

Last I knew at least when shooting a 30 BR Jim was now a believer in preloading at home or at in his shop.

Thanks,I would feel much more comfortable (being new to BR) pre loading at home, and not having to purchase new equipement.

I'm guessing - an arbor press, hand dies, culver measure

I'm not sure, thats why I'd prefer to preload

I do have a range on my property to do load testing

I remember at a match up here once I was getting my loading stuff set up and as I filled my primer tray spilt my primers. An old boy was standing there with his buddy and told him that is why I always come pre-loaded. We got to the last match and he didn't have enough rounds to finish the match, so I turned to his buddy and said " Thats why I always load at the match." If you reload at the home make sure you have more than enough for a windy day, or a problem sighting in!

I see that you would need a Culver measure. How are you dropping charges now??

Mike Swartz

Reading some of the replies to this thread, one might think that range loaders would be few and far between, way in the minority. It is actually just the opposite.
I don't know where some of you guys are shooting, but BY FAR, most close range benchrest shooters load at the range inbetween relays. Probably 80% or more I would guess. And there is a reason for that...........;)

Last edited:
Reading some of the replies to this thread, one might think that range loaders would be few and far between, way in the minority. It is actually just the opposite.
I don't know where some of you guys are shooting, but BY FAR, most close range benchrest shooters load at the range inbetween relays. Probably 80% or more I would guess. And there is a reason for that...........;)

at most shoots I go to I only see 1 or 2 preloaded. that's with 40+ shooters. it may be a distraction to load at the range but it's more of a distraction trying to load with a preloaded dude hangin out distractin everybody else:p

all I know is I would be very sad if I had 100+ rounds loaded with the wrong charge. I have never been at a shoot I didn't have to change my load during the day. I only use 12 or 13 cases so it seems like it would be cheaper to buy the stuff to load at the range than to try to get 80+ cases that fit my standards then load 1 load only to spend all that money to travel to a shoot and have the wrong one:eek:
just my opinions of course- take it as you will:D

Any decent press, any measure that you can accurately reset to the same volume, a Harrell bushing FL die, and a Forster or Redding micrometer seater, and you are set to go. I would bet that you already have every thing that you need. One of the best shooters in the Gulf Coast Region, uses RCBS Partner presses and a Redding seater.

Right know I have a redding Br powder measure and a redding compact press that I could use to range reload. When I reload at home I check my measure on my digital scale a few times before I throw charges directly into the case. I'm still a little nervous trusting my powder measure skills without weighing them first.

all you need is a pocket jewelers scale. CED makes a top notch one but here lately I have been using that $35 MTM scale from sinclair and it works just fine. be sure to carry extra batteries whatever you use.

Dusty ...

all I know is I would be very sad if I had 100+ rounds loaded with the wrong charge. I have never been at a shoot I didn't have to change my load during the day. I only use 12 or 13 cases so it seems like it would be cheaper to buy the stuff to load at the range than to try to get 80+ cases that fit my standards then load 1 load only to spend all that money to travel to a shoot and have the wrong one

The way to solve this problem is to let my friend Gene Beggs put one of his tuners on your rifle. That way you'll only be at most a half a turn away from tune with your favorite charge.

and while I'm shooting groups on my sighter target trying to adjust my tuner the best condition is wasting away...

Codeman ...

Codeman
Most of these guys are giving you info that works for them. Let me dispel some info already given. Well over 95% of SR BR shooters load at the range. I can't speak for Borden but Lou Murdica loads at the range almost always. There may be some times Lou loads at home for LR. You can use a die press for BR but these guys are using BR dies like Harrell, Redding, and Custom. If you decide to change presses later consider a RCBS Partner. Priming tool K&M or Lee or what you might have. Your powder thrower is fine. Leave your scale ar home. Trim cases at home. Bring C-clamps. Small powder funnel. Imperial sizing lube. Calipers. Small tool set, screwdriver and allen wrench set. Seating Die, Wilson best for money. Small arbor press. Bullets, powder, and primers. Plastic or metal boxes to carry it all. Tarp.

This is most of it. If you stay with BR you will collect more stuff. One reason not given for pre-loading is that for a weekend shoot you would need to prepare several hundred cases. Most guys will not sit down prepare and this many.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Doesn't this sound like a chore ... loading and unloading all this stuff ... plus cleaning and reloading between relays? After a few matches of this you might want to consider if you're having fun OR just substituted one job for another. Moreover, hauling all this stuff around means you get to load and unload it twice. Once at home ... load and unload ... and then again at the range ... unload and load. Also, you're going to need a big vehicle ... Steve is only talking about the reloading equipment. Don't forget your rifle, rifle case, wind flags, sail tails and stands, adjustable seat, cleaning gear, front and rear sand bags, and elbow pad; if shooting hunter, a spotting scope and stand, and maybe a small cooler for food and drinks. What have I forgotten? Oh yes, how about a cut away rug or towel under your rifle for cases to fall onto, a Skip Otto bag stabilizer, a fancy wooden cartridge holder, a timer, maybe a small umbrella attached to the bench to keep the sun out of your eyes, and perhaps a snake bag. I'm sure there are others I've forgotten. When I retired the second time I decided I was going to have fun! As a result of that decision, I try to minimize as much as possible.

what does evryone think about a hand press at the range (like lee)

My opinion is the best little press for the money is a RCBS Partner...hands down.

As far as preloading....I'm in big favor of it....it makes it a lot easier to place well....as least for us loading at the range.

Hovis

Back