newbie question about the bench setup at my range

WC_Harr

Guys, I'm new to shooting altogether as of the last six weeks and my question is on what happens when I get to my local rifle range which I went to today for the third time. I'm normal height, six foot, but these wooden bench seats seemed way too tall for the height of the tabletop. I literally couldn't scrunch down over the table and still have my natural cheek weld. So I had to use a block of wood under the bipod to essentially raise the table height. And the wood block rocked back and forth sideways destabilizing my cant.

But what really surprised me was a couple of people had brought fixed, wooden milking stools that were even higher than the wooden bench seats! What the h*ll?

I saw on here that people like the Sinclair stool but the other problem at this rifle range is the ground is very sloped and very uneven. I need something more like a three legged milk stool with adjustable length legs maybe. Any recommendations?

Thanks

WC

But looking at the legs, is this going to work on uneven and sloped ground?

Sorry, I was unclear. NO, it will not work on uneven or sloped ground.... but neither will what you describe as a milking stool or a drummer's throne. My way is to bring a piece of plywood and some scraps to use as dunnage to make a flat surface

My definition of "milking stool" is one-legged, and yes I've spent many hours on one. And it might work :) probably better than a 3-4-5 legged stool right on the ground.... But I've never tried it :)

Wow. Just how uneven is that firing line surface. I’ve never encountered ground my Tama drummer’s throne didn’t set on. Scrape it level with the side of your boot.

My first time around I went the cheap route through Amazon and it was almost impossible to lock the height in tight enough on the Drummer's Throne, that I bought, so that it would not slip down after a few ups and downs. Finally went to a Musical Equipment store here in Manhattan and tried a bunch of them before buying the one I use now. Not cheap but, better size, better constructed and stays where it is adjusted with a threaded stop on the main support. BTW, I am 185 pounds dressed so the cheap one moving was not because of excess weight.

Bob

My first time around I went the cheap route through Amazon and it was almost impossible to lock the height in tight enough on the Drummer's Throne, that I bought, so that it would not slip down after a few ups and downs. Finally went to a Musical Equipment store here in Manhattan and tried a bunch of them before buying the one I use now. Not cheap but, better size, better constructed and stays where it is adjusted with a threaded stop on the main support. BTW, I am 185 pounds dressed so the cheap one moving was not because of excess weight.

Bob

Had a problem with the height of my shooting stool staying constant. Went to home depot and bought some pipe nipples in 1-4" lengths to adjust the height of the stool to fit the bench height.
The heck with the thumbscrews.

Sorry, I was unclear. NO, it will not work on uneven or sloped ground.... but neither will what you describe as a milking stool or a drummer's throne. My way is to bring a piece of plywood and some scraps to use as dunnage to make a flat surface

My definition of "milking stool" is one-legged, and yes I've spent many hours on one. And it might work :) probably better than a 3-4-5 legged stool right on the ground.... But I've never tried it :)

"dunnage"?! You must be a Navy man. :D

Ive had this one for over 20 years. it has individual adjustable legs. May work at your range. It doubles as a seat in my deer hunting ground blind.

https://www.yescomusa.com/products/...aZHnZNpGuNFaXGktMeOsNCNtuiP6X_-0aAkHPEALw_wcB

Glenn

That one looks like a strong contender but I think I'm going to try this one first:
https://chamachairs.com/product/chama-chair/

It has three legs, good for uneven ground, and extendable, good for sloped ground. Thanks, guys!!

I strongly suggest a drummer's stool or throne with height adjustment. I got one because of the problem you encountered with the added "benefit" of neck pain after I finished.

As others have said, I can't imagine a range with that much of a slope at the benches.

the yester yearsi

in 1970s saw an old piano stool being used for sawhorse o a old camp platform at a camp on back road it had been sitting ther for couple yrs ihad jiust started shooting benchest with no money painted up still use it today better than than any new ones I have bought

Back