newbie question about finding the exact distance to target

WC_Harr

Guys, I'm a newbie, been shooting for six weeks now but I think about it a lot and I have a couple questions if you can find the time to answer.

1) In a competition, be it say 600 or 1000 yard benchrest competition, how can the distance to the target be measured with high precision without using a rangefinder?
2) If you were hosting a competition, are the shooters showing up expecting the target distance to be exact? Or is it always considered their problem to measure it for themselves?
3) What happens if you use different rangefinders and they all show a different value?

Last question, what brand do you guys consider to be a great chronograph manufacturor? And what do you think about my idea to put a magnetospeed on my rifle and then shoot through a couple more chronographs in a line to compare results?

Thanks for your answers,

Walter

It can be and usually is done in the case of a club range by survey and that is done by triangulation. In the case of the shooter when he gets to the range he or she expects the distance to be accurate.

You can get an accurate distance with a hiker's GPS.

If different rangefinders give you different answers, then all but one, or all of them are wrong. That could be due to unfavorable conditions / user error, etc. I use a Leica as my standard and it's convinced me that I can trust the Sig.

Oehler has long been the gold-standard in chronographs. But non-optical chronos like Magnetospeed and Labradar are gaining quick acceptance, for lots of reasons.

Shooting through multiple chronographs: Just like the rangefinder, you'll get varying results, so which do you trust? I trust Labradar, but only because it agrees with Oehler, which I picked as 'right'.

GsT

measurment of distance

Try Google earth, find the range then click on the tab that has a ruler on it. Snap a line from bench to target line.

Guys, I'm a newbie, been shooting for six weeks now but I think about it a lot and I have a couple questions if you can find the time to answer.

1) In a competition, be it say 600 or 1000 yard benchrest competition, how can the distance to the target be measured with high precision without using a rangefinder?
2) If you were hosting a competition, are the shooters showing up expecting the target distance to be exact? Or is it always considered their problem to measure it for themselves?
3) What happens if you use different rangefinders and they all show a different value?

Last question, what brand do you guys consider to be a great chronograph manufacturor? And what do you think about my idea to put a magnetospeed on my rifle and then shoot through a couple more chronographs in a line to compare results?

Thanks for your answers,

Walter

If you are interested in a chronograph, e-mail me.....dsnaphoto@aol.com

You can get an accurate distance with a hiker's GPS.

If different rangefinders give you different answers, then all but one, or all of them are wrong. That could be due to unfavorable conditions / user error, etc. I use a Leica as my standard and it's convinced me that I can trust the Sig.

Oehler has long been the gold-standard in chronographs. But non-optical chronos like Magnetospeed and Labradar are gaining quick acceptance, for lots of reasons.

Shooting through multiple chronographs: Just like the rangefinder, you'll get varying results, so which do you trust? I trust Labradar, but only because it agrees with Oehler, which I picked as 'right'.

GsT

Thank you! Sorry for the delay in my response. I thought I had responded but I see I didn't.

Back