New western powders lt-32 test results

New Western Powder LT-32 Initial Chrono Test Results

HEY GUYS,
I JUST FINISHED UP MY INITIAL CHRONGRAPH WORK WITH THE NEW LT-32 POWDER AND I HAVE TO SAY I WAS IMPRESSED. I HAVE NOT CONCERNED MYSELF WITH NEW POWDERS, SEEINGS HOW I HAVE ENOUGH "T" TO LAST THE REST OF MY LIFE, BUT I STILL LIKE TO TEST ESPECIALLY FOR MY STUDENTS WHO WILL FOLLOW IN OUR FOOT STEPS INTO THE FUTURE. I HAVE POSTED MY INITIAL CHRONOGRAPH WORK ON FACEBOOK IN A SIDE BY SIDE COMPARISON TO "T". IF YOUR INTERESTED YOU CAN FOLLOW THE LINK BELOW.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2812789321425.2117798.1309538568&type=3&l=1adda528ad

I WILL POST MORE PICTURES AND A VOLUME TO WEIGHT CHART TOMORROW WHEN I GET IT ALL COMPILED. PLUS A LITTLE MORE INFO BELOW FROM WESTERN POWDERS TO BETTER FILL YOU IN ON THE LATEST.

KEEP'EM SMALL,
SPEEDY GONZALEZ

Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:30 AM
To: Gonzalez, Speedy
Subject: RE: L-32

Speedy,

The LT-32 is an exact copy of the original T-32 manufactured in the same plant and on the same machinery as the original. Lou Murdica has been extensively testing it and he tells us it is the easiest powder to tune that he has seen in 40 years. According to Lou, the chamber that everybody was using in the 80's will work with this powder. The bullets do not need to be seated way out in order to get more powder in the case. In testing the powder in our Bond Universal receiver against the origin "T' powder, my S.D.'s were about 30% lower with the new powder versus the "T" powder. Lou and Don Nielson donated 16 pounds of the original T-32 lot of powder for our quality control and that is what the new powder is shot against. All of our powders are allowed to deviate +3% to -5% in pressure from the quality control lot except LT-32 which we cut the deviation percentages in half in order to have the best lot to lot consistency in the industry for this powder. Another advantage of LT-32 is the fact that our Accurate 2015 can be blended with this powder if anyone wants to adjust the burn rate. 2015 is also manufactured on the machinery, has the same geometry but is about 10% slower that LT-32.

Just a note on Hodgdon's 8208. The 8208 that is being brought into the country is not being brought in for the benchrest market as most people believe. It is being brought into the country for military contracts and it just so happened that it worked in the PPC. It is being QC'd for those military contracts not for benchrest shooters. There is more money in the military side of selling powder. I work directly with the company using it for military applications. LT-32 is just the opposite. We developed this powder specifically for the 6mm PPC and it is QC'd in the 6mm PPC.

I can send you a sample if you would like.

Best regards,
Keith Anderson
Western Powders Ballistic Lab

Attachments

• DSC01184.jpg
    DSC01184.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,330
  • DSC01198.jpg
    DSC01198.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 2,292
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 1,472
Last edited:
It's a great time to be alive on the earth :)

I can't thank people like Lou and Don (and yes Keith and the team at Western Powder) enough for their dedication to the pursuit of excellence but I must say...... I often use the phrase "We stand on the shoulders of Giants," and it's true. Yet not all passion is lost to the mists of history. And thank you Speedy for instilling the PASSION into our younkers.....

Future generations will thank these men.

al

Last edited:
GOOD MORNING,
HERE ARE THE REST OF THE PICTURES THAT I PROMISED YOU. IF YOU CLICK THE LINK BELOW AND GO TO MY FACEBOOK PAGE YOU CAN SEE THEM IN ALL THERE GLORY OF IF YOU WOULD LIKE THE FULL BLOWN PICTURES FOR YOUR CLOSER EXAMINATION YOU CAN EMAIL ME AT speedy.godzilla@msn.com AND JUST REQUEST THE FULL SIZE PIC.S

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2818941435224.2117931.1309538568&type=3&l=de2e689b8c

IT IS YET TO BE SEEN IF THE NEW LT-32 PROVES TO NOT BE AFFECTED BY TEMPERATURE AND HUMIDITY LIKE THE OLD T-322, BUT FROM THESE SHORT TESTS IT VERY MUCH MIMICS MY T-322 OF OLD. MY "T" POWDER WAS ALWAYS A BLESSING TO ME IN THE FACT THAT WHEN I WENT TO A MATCH I DID NOT HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS EVERYONE ELSE WAS HAVING IN RESPECT TO HAVE TO TUNE UP & DOWN OVER COURSE OF A WEEKEND OR WEEK. I GOT TO SHOT AND CONCENTRATE ON THE CONDITIIONS INSTEAD OF MAKING IT A TUNING COMPETITION. IT WAS ALWAYS KIND OF FUNNY WATCHING EVERYBODY GOING UP AND DOWN ON THEIR POWDERS TRYING TO ACCOMODATE THE CHANGES IN WEATHER AS THE DAYS WENT ON. HOPEFULLY THIS WILL ALLOW ALL TO BECOME BETTER SHOOTERS, BY BEING ABLE TO CONCENTRATE ON SHOOTING AND NOT RE-TUNING EVERYTIME ONE COMES BACK FROM THE BENCH.

GOOD LUCK & KEEP'EM SMALL,
SPEEDY GONZALEZ

Attachments

• LT-32 DIA SMALL.jpg
    LT-32 DIA SMALL.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,291
  • POWDER PICTURES 1 SMALL.jpg
    POWDER PICTURES 1 SMALL.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 1,662
  • T-322 DIA SMALL.jpg
    T-322 DIA SMALL.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,072
Good day Speedy,

I assume this powder is in the testing phase? So, it is NOT for sale at this moment? Or.......................???
Please let me know?

Paul from the Netherlands

I don't know why these guys put tis stuff on the web before it even going to be available.
We all know now that its going to be fall possably before it will be available.
Then maybe then if we get the same lots of powder we may get the same results.
The last time it was 8208 and it tuned out to be a dud.
Until it available I wish they would keep it under wraps. The way things are going with the testing I bet that first lot is already spoken for.

"Just a note on Hodgdon's 8208. The 8208 that is being brought into the country is not being brought in for the benchrest market as most people believe. It is being brought into the country for military contracts and it just so happened that it worked in the PPC. It is being QC'd for those military contracts not for benchrest shooters. There is more money in the military side of selling powder. I work directly with the company using it for military applications. LT-32 is just the opposite. We developed this powder specifically for the 6mm PPC and it is QC'd in the 6mm PPC."

My this is strange to hear...because I remember when Lou Murdica and friends were pushing the IMR 8208 XBR. All we heard was how great the preliminary tests were and how Lou was collecting lots of wood with it out at Ben Avery...then a rumor out of Australia stated it was just some BenchMark that did not meet the original specs...I and many other shooters tried it with less than spectacular results and now it turns out the 8208 XBR is just .223 powder for military and civilian market...How can we trust any preliminary testing until someone gets some off the shelf at the local sporting good store and win a 2 gun with it....???

Sold a bunch of powder for IMR didn't it! Good marketing tecnique though...to bring up demand. ;)

"Just a note on Hodgdon's 8208. The 8208 that is being brought into the country is not being brought in for the benchrest market as most people believe. It is being brought into the country for military contracts and it just so happened that it worked in the PPC. It is being QC'd for those military contracts not for benchrest shooters. There is more money in the military side of selling powder. I work directly with the company using it for military applications. LT-32 is just the opposite. We developed this powder specifically for the 6mm PPC and it is QC'd in the 6mm PPC."

My this is strange to hear...because I remember when Lou Murdica and friends were pushing the IMR 8208 XBR. All we heard was how great the preliminary tests were and how Lou was collecting lots of wood with it out at Ben Avery...then a rumor out of Australia stated it was just some BenchMark that did not meet the original specs...I and many other shooters tried it with less than spectacular results and now it turns out the 8208 XBR is just .223 powder for military and civilian market...How can we trust any preliminary testing until someone gets some off the shelf at the local sporting good store and win a 2 gun with it....???

The last time it was 8208 and it tuned out to be a dud.
"How can we trust any preliminary testing until someone gets some off the shelf at the local sporting good store and win a 2 gun with it....??? "

I have had three lots of XBR and the last one I bought off the shelf at Sportsmans Outhouse. Took it and DID win a two gun and a 3 gun with it. Also won two LV grands and an HV grand. It may not be the old 8208, but it works well enough to use as an alternate to N133 in my opinion.
The problem most folks have with XBR is that they try to run 3400 fps with it. Bad idea. It won't do it accurately. But get 'er down to 3250 fps and watch the flags and it does fine. Again, just my opinion. Ymmv.

The reason they try to run it fAST IS THIS.
THE TEST LOADS that a certain person hawking the powder and won matches with.
Wait till its out get some so that everyone can try it then let us know how it shoots.
Let us know how the next lot shoot TOO. One lot or one small sample given to a few select people
isn't telling us anything. So it boils down to this a few select people with a select rifles with select powder so far.

The IMR XBR8208 as everyone knows, is not the same as the test lot was. Lou openly states that, that is why he took another direction and if all goes well, he will have succeeded in his goal.

Personnally, I want to hear about items before they are available. Cars, electronics, guns, etc, are all talked about before they are available, it is what helps to keep the public informed. Some pan out, others do not, just the way it is but at least I like the option of making decisions on my own. Who has the right to tell me what I should know about and when I should know about it. If you don't want to read about it, then don't freakin read it.

What I get out of this thread is quite typical, there are those who complain and those who do. It's pretty easy to recognize, just like the match threads, etc.

I want to say Thank You to Lou Murdica, Lou has done testing for Berger, helped bring the March scope to reality, trying his best to bring us a option when it comes to powders, a many other things. He gives more back to the sport than just about anyone. I also, want to thank Speedy for his reports. Speedy also sends out interesting info if your on his email list. He is a HOF member, teaches gunsmithing at Trinidad and has even elevated an already good program, with more to come. Both of these men have had successes and failures, but at least they try.

Some complain about the distances to ranges and the cost of gas, well, do something about it. Get people together and strive for a solution. Sure, it may or may not pan out but it seems people in this country are concerning themselves more with, "what have others done for me" than what they can do for themselves and others. It's a terrible sprial to be envolved in.

If you want a range closer to you, do something about it. If you want a better powder, do something about it. If you want better bullets, barrels, etc....then do something about it. Walt Berger, Ed Shilen, McMillians, Kelbly's, etc...weren't handed anything...they did it. This is America....this is not a country of "can I please" or "will you do this for me"...it's suppose to be a country of "I am going to" or "try and stop me". Geeze.

Hovis

"what have others done for me" than what they can do for themselves and others. It's a terrible sprial to be envolved in.

If you want a range closer to you, do something about it. If you want a better powder, do something about it. If you want better bullets, barrels, etc....then do something about it. Walt Berger, Ed Shilen, McMillians, Kelbly's, etc...weren't handed anything...they did it. This is America....this is not a country of "can I please" or "will you do this for me"...it's suppose to be a country of "I am going to" or "try and stop me". Geeze.

Hovis

100% agree Kevin.....

Looks to me that the General Dynamics / Accurate Arms LT-32 has a solid chance of delivering.... Keeping lots in CONTROLED and TESTED groups (LT-32 or 2015).... And VERY important.. Kernal size.. Small, Short, CONSISTENT.

On a side note Kevin, That "non-8208" powder lot ACC122910.... It's a keeper..! Love it.! Whatever it REALLY is...
Would like to find out who REALLY made it.. But I'm set for quite a while as I JUMPED on this stuff in a fair quantity.!
Unobtanium....OhhWell....

cale

to me that seems like just plain bullschit based on what lou did....sounds more like politically correct after the fact droooooolllll....

Some more of the same from the troll. Jay Lynn Gore finished 2nd in the 2 gun at the Crawfish last weekend using 8208BRX. If you want to get rid of some, contact Jay Lynn.

100% agree Kevin.....

On a side note Kevin, That "non-8208" powder lot ACC122910.... It's a keeper..! Love it.! Whatever it REALLY is...
Would like to find out who REALLY made it.. But I'm set for quite a while as I JUMPED on this stuff in a fair quantity.!
Unobtanium....OhhWell....

cale

When David Mosley had all that "8208" at the Knoxville, TN gun show in the Spring of 2011 he had some of the big containers, looked to be about 40# each, I bought a case of 8# jugs. All of it was marked IMR 8208. According to David he had bought a few thousand pounds from government surplus and said he could get much more, like another 20,000# (as I remember he said a tank truck load and that he had first option on it). According to him it WAS NOT pulldown but was military 8208 that had NEVER been loaded. According to him the big container were what went on the loading machines for the contractor loading 223 for the military. This was all marked IMR 8208 lot AAC122910.

David is the one who sold a big batch to Lester.

At the Fall 2011 Knoxville gun show I went by Davids booth and while he did have a few 8# jugs left he told me "that was all there was"-his words.
If anyone wants to follow up on this call David Mosley, Magnum Materials, 615-497-4205. Who knows, he may have some more by now.

Thanks Jerry,

Appreciate the info........ Have a few others REALLY interested in locating MORE...!
Me too...!

cale

Jerry,

I had the Army Ammunition Activity run the lot number. It was never used by the military in the U.S. It finally came up as a NATO lot number from Europe, manufactured in the early 1980's but that's as far as they could get. The ammo it was loaded in was sold to a company in the U.S. who imported it and then pulled it down. All this is straight from the the Army. Took months to get that much info as AAA had to get in contact with USAREUR (United States Army Europe) G-4 to run the numbers.

Hovis

Last edited:
Back