New Toy - check your gun handling

I though some of you would find the following video interesting. This is a slow motion video of me shooting my BR rifle. It's a five-shot group fired in 21 seconds. This was done with a Casio Exilim EX-ZR100 camera...a neat little tool that could have many uses, including checking ones gun handling technique for faults.

The video is kind of long, since it was taken at 480 FPS. Try saving the video first and viewing it through Video playback software using the FF or RW controls to speed up the action.

It's amazing what a $250 camera will do these days!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkrCm7vVgN0&feature=youtu.be

Greg Walley
Kelbly's Inc.

Pretty amazing technology for the money and viewing the recoil taking place in slow motion was extremely interesting. Nice job on keeping your head down and following through one of the things I still struggle with at times.

J.Louis

Greg,
Nice video! Should make a wonderful addition to your already legendary "slo-mo" film series.
Who could forget "Bongo drums for beat-nicks", "Bistro poetry recital", "The Elvis Presley hunk-a-hunk a burnin' love weight loss program" and "wrap-round sunglasses aren't just for crusin' anymore "film clips.
Keep up the good work !
Joel

Greg,
Nice video! Should make a wonderful addition to your already legendary "slo-mo" film series.
Who could forget "Bongo drums for beat-nicks", "Bistro poetry recital", "The Elvis Presley hunk-a-hunk a burnin' love weight loss program" and "wrap-round sunglasses aren't just for crusin' anymore "film clips.
Keep up the good work !
Joel

Hey bud! Don't forget "Beach Blanket Bingo". Pretty campy, but lotsa HOT chicks!

Greg and Joel. you two high-falutin' musicians make me laugh. The New York Met will never be the same now that you guys are gone!!

On NHRA telecasts they have been showing some 'super slow mo' footage that is pretty amazing. It would be cool to have such a camera to look at a br rifle being fired.

It would be really cool to see the bullet on its path to the target and watch the wind flags at the same time.

Could you imagine if Archie Bunker found out the Joel was his long lost son, or Fred Sanford had a white nephew named Joel from Canal Town, USA

Last edited:
It would be really cool to see the bullet on its path to the target and watch the wind flags at the same time.

Could you imagine if Archie Bunker found out the Joel was his long lost son, or Fred Sanford had a white nephew named Joel from Canal Town, USA

Russell, would you REALLY rather watch Gregs bullet in flight or hear Greg and Joel in concert at the Met?

Poor Archie Bunker (Fred could probably take care of his self)!

This is a good thread,all kidding aside. The better archery shops have been video taping shooters for years, lots of guys letting down the bow arm at the shot,punching the trigger on the release,no back tension ,etc. Benchrest shooting has the rifle supported much more than the best archer can accomplish with skeletal structure and muscle alone.As far apart as these shooting sports are,there are notable similarities. The release of the projectile from the mechanisim must be as consistant as possible,trigger pull,follow through,and the mind's eye must remain trained on the target until impact. Greg's form is impeccable,his level of concentration is obvious,and his follow through is real sweet. The rifle hits a relaxed 160 lbs of mutton( sorry Greg,hard to describe the human body soaking up recoil)on every reward motion.Bag squeezers need to control the pressure on the rear bag throughout the recoil of the gun,Greg is real good at this.Shooting styles vary,bag/rest set-ups vary.The one thing good BR shooters have in common is no wasted motion,good ergonomic flow.I have seen guys shooting a right bolt /left port rifle that kept their ammo in a loading block on the right side of the rifle and reached over the gun every shot to grab a fresh round ! Not a good recipe for success.The less time one spends wiggling around to reload the more time one has to aim, concentrate on trigger pull and follow through,and of course,watching and reacting to wind flags.If you can't video tape yourself,have another good shooter watch you and critique your form/set-up. This game is easier and more productive if you have have a shooting buddy to work along side you
Joel
p.s. Russell,in regards to my lineage,all I can tell you is that there have been more than a few bananas picked from my family tree.

Video - check your gun handling

Greg,

Very well done video. Thanks for taking the time and sharing your video with your fellow shooters.

Joel, Well said.

Bob

Another clip at regular speed

Thanks for the kind words guys. I actually see some room for improvement in my technique…which is why I tried this experiment in the first place. This as another video at regular speed – and the faults in my technique aren’t as obvious when viewed in real-time:

http://youtu.be/yTHjjCcr_44

I thought this would be a good reference for new students in the BR game.

Greg Walley
Kelbly’s Inc.

Great work Greg, if one picture is worth a thousand words, your video is worth millions. I can see a whole new avenue of
group tightener coming on. Your ready for show business, but only Joel could describe Johnny Depp of benchrest as 160
lbs of mutton

After my last casual, wasn't trying to imply anything, "mutton" remark ( gee, I wonder why I'm divorced ? ), I was planning on getting out of this thread, but as long you guys won't let me out gracefully, here is yet another installment on gun handling.
I got out to CCC today with "the Hamster". Another mutual friend had given me a rifle he wanted to sell, "take it around with you to BR matches and see if anyone is interested" he said. Well, I figured "let's see what she's got ?" This rifle is a Right/right/right eject. I normally shoot a right /left,no eject Panda, Farley rest set up in the summer. Same rifle, bag squeezin' in the winter.
I grabbed 5 pcs of old, beat, brass from another rifle, measured em', sized em', and fired em'. One case stuck, but the gun looked good. So I resize once more, stick another case ( I wanted to see if anything was there before I fed it new brass).Groups looked pretty good, so out comes the new brass,( fired once in another chamber,.004 shorter than this chamber).Hard jam bullets are looking pretty good, I move .005 shorter and blow a primer (OK, kinda expected that). Move seating depth back to jam, re-form the brass, and now I'm tuning this right/ right/ right eject and bag squeezin' .
Jam is spittin' shots with the condition changes and I could have said "well, that should have happend". I adjust seating depth back a little and go down on the powder, no more spits, but minor gun handling errors are exaggerated on target. I could have said "well, thats me screwing up handling". I adjusted the powder back up and the gun "came alive",shooting through minor flag changes. My gun handling errors miraculously went away, a chimpanzee could have been competitive with that tune.--------Point is-------- When the tune is right, gun handling issues are minimized, if not eliminated. Keep track of those flags and tune that rifle "till it gives you somethin"
Joel

Last edited:
Ignition testing

Yeah! I resent the jab of being called 160 lbs. of mutton. I’m only 155 lbs. of mutton right now – I’ll be up to my 160 lbs. this winter when I become a couch potato :eek:)

I was thinking of another application for the slow motion video – inspired by German Salazar’s primer ignition photography. It would be interesting to check ignition consistency with the slow motion video. There is a potential to see interesting characteristics of primer detonation/ignition with differing amounts of firing pin travel, spring weight, et. al. I suppose it would be necessary to get a view right at the flash hole opening of the brass. I could take a scrap action and cut the front off close to the bolt face, and part off a bunch of old PPC brass close to the flash hole and headspace the brass similar to a straight-walled pistol cartridge - using a small stub bored to the length of the parted brass, and threaded to the nose of the bolt. Maybe if I get time this winter I’ll put something together instead of being a couch potato.

Here is a demo of what the camera will do with fireworks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKpVso7Uwic

Greg Walley
Kelbly’s Inc.

Back