New Top Rest Problem

jim

I have a problem I need some help on - I have a Wichita cast iron base that I purchased a new windage adjustable top for. The post on my new top is slighly larger that the hole in the base and will not fit - the new post diameter is .990 inch and the base hole diameter is .984 inch. My old top is gone so I can't change posts and when I talked to a machine shop about enlarging the base hole they wanted over $100 (half the cost of the new top!) I could use a file I'm certain to "waller" out the hole however it obviously won't be precise like it needs to be. Any thoughts on how I can accomplish my goal?

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited:
You need to remove .003 to .005" or so of material from the post. Use a Sharpie and blacken the tops of the threads on the post and carefully remove some material from the circumference. Use a fine tooth file. Go slow and check the fit often. Keep it round as possible.

Good luck

Top Rest Problem

crb,

Worked like a charm - filed off the tops of the post threads (with the adjustment wheel above them to smooth out the threads when I unscrewed it) and now it fits like a glove.

My thanks again!

Jim

Good job !!! You had so little metal to remove that I knew a bit of hand held file work would give acceptable results for the application. You wouldn't want to try hand filing a set of tight bbl threads but for the front rest post, functionally you wouldn't be able to tell the difference from threads topped off in a lathe versus the job you did by hand.

Good luck
Ray

Back