New to RF Benchrest

Can't help with your horizontal stringing, but I was curious why people want to shoot slower speeds with higher temps?

I cannot answer that. I had heard one of the guys mention that it had worked for him and another agreed. Hopefully one of the experienced guys could shed some light on it.
Keith

Keith,

Your first post says you're new. That being the case, I still think the wind may be your main cause of horizontal stringing.
In a dead calm with the flags pointing at 3 o'clock then changing to 9 o'clock your point of impact will move one full ring. No wind will be visable, let alone felt, but the bullet still moves. I always say there is no such thing as a dead calm, just stuff happenig that your flags don't see.

Ken

I cannot answer that. I had heard one of the guys mention that it had worked for him and another agreed. Hopefully one of the experienced guys could shed some light on it.
Keith

hmmm. Something to think about wrt speeds: if the air temperature is cold enough, some match ammo will actually be supersonic. For example, R100 in my Kimber shoots about 50fps faster than Midas+, at 50 degrees F, the difference in speed will make the R100 supersonic (or at least some of the rounds) while the Midas+ is still subsonic.

It's in this context I was confused about wanting slower ammo in higher temps.

Ken- I am relatively new at this. This year is my 2nd season. This is the 1st time I'd ever shot over wind flags so I hope you are right in that I'm missing it.
I just find it odd that I was catching on & doing ok & now I'm not. I'll keep working at it & hopefully something will click.
Keith

thermals

Ken, one other thing that I do not understand thermal & the effect they have. The one other thing I've noticed is at my home range where I practice I've never shot well. hmm......

Keith, if you don't shoot well at your home range, there could be something you're just missing. Or, you pay more attention at a match with others watching. Obstacles on or near the range will play hell with conditions. Ditches, berms, trap houses, tree lines, other buildings, and anything else that can cause a swirl deserves a flag or two nearby. Something else to think about, sometimes you just get caught with a change the flags haven't reacted to yet. Don't forget to factor in that odd channel of wind that goes between you flags and moves your bullet a couple of rings. Something to be said for watching your competitor's flags and never drawing the end bench.

Ken

Back