New To RF Benchrest Questions

1.) how do you clean a 22 rf. barrel and how often
2.) does dimpling the bullet help with accuracy
3.) which solvent works best to remove lead
Thank You
bill larson

Last edited:
Clean when the accuracy drops off..

Dimpling most have not tried-and some RF shooting disclipines prohibit along with 'adjusting' (adding/removing) lube.

I have been using Gunzilla as a solvent now for 3 yrs or so. Wirks great. Wet patch, maybe brush, couple drys. If storing, like now (winter) will put a little oil down the tube followed by at least one dry.

Many more cleaning opinions to come. Fasten your seat belt.

After every target I:

1. run 3 wet patches through
2. 5 full back and forth strokes with a tight fitting bronze brush
3. 2 wet patches
4. Clean tuner with wet and dry patches
5. 1 dry patch

Wet patches are saturated with pro-shot, and the brush is also saturated with pro-shot.

Clean when . . .

Like langenc: That guy from Montmorency County in Michigan's Lower Peninsula, said:

"Clean when the accuracy drops off.."

I would change that a little to: DON'T clean UNTIL the accuracy drops off.

You get best accuracy when the bore is lubricated from breach to muzzle. When you do a good cleaning, you wipe out all that lub. Now you have to relub the barrel and it will take 5 to 15 shots to get that lub to coat the bore again, all the way up to muzzle.

Rimfires are different . . . eh. In centerfire we gota clean after every 5 shot group and the cleaning rod wears out the barrel in 1500 shots.

Mr. Frosty:
UP here in Michigan's Upper Peninsula

After every target I:

1. run 3 wet patches through
2. 5 full back and forth strokes with a tight fitting bronze brush
3. 2 wet patches
4. Clean tuner with wet and dry patches
5. 1 dry patch

Wet patches are saturated with pro-shot, and the brush is also saturated with pro-shot.

What happens if you dont clean for 3 or 4 targets or heaven forbid 10 targets??

Id guess you will WEAR the barrel out before you will ever shoot it out.

And as Mr Frosty mentioned you are forever 'seasoning'(lubing) the barrel again after just removing the lube that the previous 25 shots(or more) applied.

In centerfire we gota clean after every 5 shot group and the cleaning rod wears out the barrel in 1500 shots.

Can you please explain how it is that when a proper cleaning rod is used, and a proper cleaning procedure is followed, that is wears the barrel out? Thank you, 22Shooter

Id guess you will WEAR the barrel out before you will ever shoot it out.

Again, can you please explain how the barrel is worn out if a proper cleaning procedure is followed, with a proper cleaning rod, and a tight fitting bore guide? Thank you, 22Shooter

You get best accuracy when the bore is lubricated from breach to muzzle. When you do a good cleaning, you wipe out all that lub. Now you have to relub the barrel and it will take 5 to 15 shots to get that lub to coat the bore again, all the way up to muzzle.

Also, you state how it may take 5-15 shots to lubricate the bore againn after a through cleaning, is this implying that when the gun is not cleaned as well, that you do not need to take at least 5 shots to warm up the barrel, that you shoot straight for record? Thank you again, 22Shooter

Hello 22Shooter:

On the barrel wear problem . . .

A bore guide protects the rifling just ahead of the chamber. When you push a cleaning rod down the barrel it will bend in the middle. It just is not stiff enough not to bend: So, as the rod is pushed down the bore, the high point of the bend rubs agains the bore. If you will check a well used barrel with a bore scope you may find healthy lands and groves at both ends and land wear in the middle of the bore. Using good tight patches will increase the wear. It is generally accepted that a good CF match grade barrel is DONE in 1500 shots. By done, I mean it ain't gon'a shot like it did when it was new.

A few years ago BR shooters were asking the question: Which does the least damage? Bare steel rods or covered with plastic (like the Parker-Hale). The plastic rod cover can imbed dirt in the covering and "lap" the barrel. Is a bare steel rod better? Seems they both can damage a bore.

In a rimfire barrel, a good cleaning will scrub out all the lubricating wax. To get good accuracy back, more shots are needed than the few used to warm the barrel. I talked with Butch Hongisto about a need for a "light" cleaning that may be needed. He said if the accuracy goes south during a match, and you don't have the usual 300 rounds through the barrel since the last cleaning, you may have a piece of lead stuck on the barrel wall. When he suspects that, he will run a loose patch through the barrel (during the match). On that advice I have used a "loose" patch on the end of a Patch Worm during a match. Sometimes it helped, and I don't believe one loose patch could remove much of the lead.

At for warm-up shots: You will find the number needed will depend on each individual rifle. Something like the rifle that "likes" one lot of ammo and hates another.

Have fun at the range.

Joe Haller (Mr. Frosty)

Friend Bill,

You asked a question and deserve an answer. Now I really do not want to start the cleaning frequency crap but if you subscribe to the wait until something bad happens theory you are dead before you start.
Lets think about this for a minute. Wait until accuracy drops off??? What like in the middle of a state/national championship match?
Proper rod/guide use does not harm barrels nor does quality bronze brushes.
Most good shooters will at the very least, run a wet and a couple dry patches down the bore every 1 or 2 cards, most I know...every card.
Every few bricks, run a brush/solvent combo for a more comprehensive clean.
This is what works and with a quality match barrel it's not going to take you more than 4-5 foulers to be ready.
Every few cards run a nylon brush with solvent, IOSSO, etc. in the throat to keep lead/carbon buildup out.
As BR gunsmith Gene Davis has been quoted as saying, "I can repeat clean"......always made a lot of sense to me.
I can't guarantee this is the EXACT way some of the more accomplished shooters do it but what's above, most of it, is pretty close with few variences.

Last edited:
Bill : As a new shooter, like you..........my advice to you, Listen to these guy's. They Know the buisiness. There may be variations, but their experience put into advice is worth it's weight in Gold,& can save you a lot of money, time, agrivation, And Bad scores! Good luck friend. Ed.

The bore solvents that have been mentioned for cleaning lead & Powder are not available in Canada, would Butches Bore shine,
Hoppes benchrest, Shooters Choice do the job ? or would foam Wipe Out work ?

Manitou

I asked the Old Gunny who coaches the four position youth group at our club, how often they clean the bores of the Anschutz rifles they use, and with what, and his reply was "Never"! Just saying....

I asked the Old Gunny who coaches the four position youth group at our club, how often they clean the bores of the Anschutz rifles they use, and with what, and his reply was "Never"! Just saying....

Does the old Gunny shoot to win,or his way or the highway? Old Gunny sounds like he stayed in the Holiday Inn Express!

Manitou,
I have used Butches for my entire shouting career.
Just clean out after with good oil, then dry.
Steve

Very insightfull. If, however, the "Old Gunny" ever shows up at a real official benchrest match with that particular maintainance tip in mind I'd wager a pretty farthing he's get his wrinkled old ass kicked from one target to the next, all day long. Thanks for sharing.

Back