New to Benchrest Clinic

Pete Wass

On May 7, 2011 there will be a New to Benchrest Shooters Clinic held at the Capitol City Rifle & Pistol Club in Augusta, Me. The clinic will focus on getteig started in Score Shooting. This Clinic will be limited to 12 participants on a First Come, First Served basis. Please contact me via the methods provided here in my profile.

Thanks,

Pete Wass

Last edited:
Will tere be more of these cliic's at other locations throuhout the benchrest community? I hope so!

Semper fi

It could be this simple.

Hmmm, Let's see. This could be the shortest clinic in the history of shooting.

"Shooters, welcome to our clinic. The object is to hit that little dot in the middle of the mothball. let's all go eat".:D

Just kidding Pete, good luck with the Clinic...........jackie

We had one last year and it went well. Several of us got to impart a few tips to folks to head them in the right direction. Those who attended seemed very thursty for the info we were dispensing; be it right or be it wrong.

I have been thinking about this business of the big BIGS posting here. In my opinion, the one most important thing the big BIGS could do for the shooting world is tell us what they see when they are pulling their triggers. I believe reading conditions is the biggest hole in this entire spectrum.

"I believe reading conditions is the biggest hole in this entire spectrum. "
And "it" can't be weighed or measured. "It" can't be argued about (Maybe). There is no profit in selling equipment for "it". Without a good shooting rifle "it" can't even be practiced. I think the BIGS run that portion on experience and can't teach "it".

My thinking here was anyone can have a rifle exactly in tune but if they execute their shots at the wrong time, all is for naught. An acquaintence told me that he had spent a week at a school learning to read mirage when he was on a rifle team so there are foks who do know and are able to teach this stuff. Perhaps the BIGS have never thought about what they see in terms of being able to pass it on to others but they obviously see things many others don't know to look for.

FB. and Peter,

You are so right FB. This is most likely where all the majic occurs in our sport. We can learn to set up equipment, tune our rifles and purchase or build some killer wind reading aids. However with all of that, some of this comes from within the truely tallented shooters. It would be like asking the late Dale Earnhardt " what do you see when your drafting at 200 mph. More than that, an Indy car driver who is actually unable to focus on the car in front of him but is tuned into 3 turns ahead of his / hers position on the track. Its all tallent and intuition, total trust of the equipment. It is so natural to some of our competitors, I dont think they could answer that question because they " just know " when the right time to pull the trigger is. Whatching some of the BIGS shoot this past summer I asked myself many times, WHY .. Why would they shoot in that mess, just after a switch, during a hard blow one time and no wind and a ton of mirage the next. They are just driving along and following the conditions. Oh that must be a great feeling ? : ) Its actually quite awesome to watch through a spotting scope and try to predict where they had to hold for that one. It takes gazillions of rounds down range to learn the ZEN of shooting conditions at a record level. As Pete said, some solid guideance and direction is probably the best advise. I think any "Good" advise is just that .. not right or wrong.

Andy B

We're getting closer! Just a reminder that there will be a FREE New To Benchrest Clinic offered at the Capitol City Rifle & Pistol Club on May 7, 2011. We still have some spots left but we need to know who's coming so that we can be sure to have enough help. Email me if you are interested in participating.

Thanks,

Pete Wass

I was one of the folks that showed up for the Benchrest Clinic, that Peter Wass and Randy Jarvais hosted last year at the Cap City R&P. I hadn't shot off a rest, except for a 200yd fun match, a few weeks prior. The Clinic was fantastic! Classroom instruction, then lots of time on the range. Peter and Randy brought their own rifles, and Orland Bunker showed up with a, one hole shooting, Hunter gun. We had a session shooting each rifle, under the guidance from the owner. Helping us learn when to shoot and when not, telling us where to aim. A simple, but great way to start shooting 10's and X's. It sure hooked me, I haven't missed a match since! Having rifles that will shoot to one hole, and three guys that will let us, no, help us shoot them properly is the perfect introduction! I think that if every IBS Club did something similar once a year, we would have a bunch new shooters spreading the "Word". Oh, Peter, Randy, Orland if I haven't thanked you guys recently, THANKS Charles

Charles came oh so close to winning a VFS match this past weekend at Damariscotta (Lincoln County Rifle Club). I don't remember if it would have been his first but he led the pack from match 2 forward until he dropped a point in match 5. Only three of 21 guns stayed clean for the day so the conditions were challenging. Good job, Charles. Orland has mentored you well. Randy J.

I was one of the folks that showed up for the Benchrest Clinic, that Peter Wass and Randy Jarvais hosted last year at the Cap City R&P. I hadn't shot off a rest, except for a 200yd fun match, a few weeks prior. The Clinic was fantastic! Classroom instruction, then lots of time on the range. Peter and Randy brought their own rifles, and Orland Bunker showed up with a, one hole shooting, Hunter gun. We had a session shooting each rifle, under the guidance from the owner. Helping us learn when to shoot and when not, telling us where to aim. A simple, but great way to start shooting 10's and X's. It sure hooked me, I haven't missed a match since! Having rifles that will shoot to one hole, and three guys that will let us, no, help us shoot them properly is the perfect introduction! I think that if every IBS Club did something similar once a year, we would have a bunch new shooters spreading the "Word". Oh, Peter, Randy, Orland if I haven't thanked you guys recently, THANKS Charles

Thank You Charles,

I and I'm sure, we appreciate your kind words. I feel quite certain if some of those who think they Can't would come to the clinic, they would find out they really can. At the very least, being able to shoot some rifles that can shoot a tiny hole should be enticement enough.

What I delight in is showing folks who have never seen windflags what their purpose is. I always chucle to myself when I go to the range and people are seriously trying to shoot rifles accurately without Windflags. I remember when I use to wear out the turrets on my scopes as well.

Last edited:
Back