New to 30 BR - Robinnett case specs

Just keeping sounding the warning like you are is all you can do
It saved me from buying a Robinett reamer with 1.545 chamber length

Thank you !!

1.545...... Holee KuRAPPP!!!...... "carbon ring anyone??"

I once had a guy build me a "no-neckturn 6BR" and he sent it to me with an I.5 flat chamber. And didn't tell me. And then fought me about getting a reamer print after I blew primers out with the lowest load in the manual!!

I no longer use reloading manuals
I no longer fire ANYTHING without physically measuring it and
I no longer trust any information from any source unless the fellow is absolutely HAPPY to prove it nine ways from Sunday

IMO ain't no room for "opinions" re safety

But that said there are hundreds of nice safe iterations of "30BR" "6X47L" "30X47L" "Ackley" "Creedmoor" "Improved" where the biggest problem is die fittage.

LISSEN to these guys in this thread!

"Straight From The Source's Mouth"

NO, you are not - it's the reamer make who would put nay moniker on a reamer of differing dimensions.:eek: RG

Randy, here's an interesting side note on one reamer maker's take on a 'proprietary' reamer:

When Stan Ware and I finalized the dimensions for our .085 neck length .30 WolfPup, Dave Kiff @ PTG told Stan it would be proprietary to Stan's company, SGR Custom Rifles. Following our initial success with it at registered IBS and NBRSA tournaments, Stan took several calls from people that had inquired with PTG about having an dimensionally exact reamer made. They had been directed to Stan by PTG, as Dave stuck to his word. :cool: Interestingly, this also included a PPC-based variant for a well known Group shooter that was looking into the concept.

Good shootin'. :) -Al

Turned out brass I used to form for 30BR was .010" thicker than Lapua brass when measuring a cut case halfway between the head and the shoulder of both, after fireforming, which would probably explain difference case capacity.

Last edited:
Randy, here's an interesting side note on one reamer maker's take on a 'proprietary' reamer:

When Stan Ware and I finalized the dimensions for our .085 neck length .30 WolfPup, Dave Kiff @ PTG told Stan it would be proprietary to Stan's company, SGR Custom Rifles. Following our initial success with it at registered IBS and NBRSA tournaments, Stan took several calls from people that had inquired with PTG about having an dimensionally exact reamer made. They had been directed to Stan by PTG, as Dave stuck to his word. :cool: Interestingly, this also included a PPC-based variant for a well known Group shooter that was looking into the concept.

Good shootin'. :) -Al

Al, I may not have been clear - not on this thread, but have been on others - the [so called] Robinett reamer is the exact opposite of the circumstance with The WolfPup/SGR: that is, when asked, by Dave, I stated that my specs were NOT to be considered proprietary - let anyone who wants one have it. Hell, even I can put numbers on paper!!:p I was neither asked, nor did I ask, or, grant permission to use my name on any reamer, let alone on reamers of varying dimensions!:eek::( I'll stick to my guns, by either name, or, number, a set of dimensions is just that set, and nothing else. RG

I find Dave's dilemma fascinating.

IMO he is absolutely honorable but he knows E V E R Y O N E and everyone has a different perspective from "keep these specs locked in an underground vault" to "broadcast them to the world.....

So Dave's stuck with knowing that one guy will Rick Jamison a thing to the bitter end while the next will Randy Robinett it from the rooftops.

And he cain't allus remember which :)

Danyboy

With all the variations in chamber reamers!

I will make myself a case length plug if want to know the actual length the reamer cut or if someone altered the original chamber that was cut!

I will trim a piece of brass short then full length size case and insert the plug. Seat the plug long then put in rifle and close the bolt it will push the plug into case. Open bolt remove case and measure overall length. I trim my brass .010 short of that measurement.

My 30BR .330 neck plug is brass with a .330 dia cut square on one end and .3085 bullet dia on the other end. If you know someone with a lathe they can make you one.

Not all chamber reamer drawings match the actual chamber reamer dimensions.

Have fun with your 30BR!
Russ
IMG_20200607_110932288_HDR.jpgIMG_20200607_111041721_HDR.jpg

THank you, Russ.

Danyboy

With all the variations in chamber reamers!

I will make myself a case length plug if want to know the actual length the reamer cut or if someone altered the original chamber that was cut!

I will trim a piece of brass short then full length size case and insert the plug. Seat the plug long then put in rifle and close the bolt it will push the plug into case. Open bolt remove case and measure overall length. I trim my brass .010 short of that measurement.

My 30BR .330 neck plug is brass with a .330 dia cut square on one end and .3085 bullet dia on the other end. If you know someone with a lathe they can make you one.

Not all chamber reamer drawings match the actual chamber reamer dimensions.

Have fun with your 30BR!
Russ
View attachment 23659View attachment 23658

That's what everyone should do.:cool:RG

I make one of these for each chamber. It lets me see what’s really going on in there. It looks cool on the loading bench too:rolleyes:

Got those gizmos too, but have hard time keeping the gremlins from playing with them. :p What amazes me is how few smiths seem to either offer, or, talk the their customers into obtaining these gizmos.;) RG

TrxR

For a 30BR .330 neck!

I use .338cal reamer bushing's on a grizzly rod to check chamber neck DIA.

For the unkown chamber I use cerrosafe.

Last edited:
Greg, THE problem: which reamer print?!!?:eek: If the smith cannot/will not say, one needs a new smith!:p;)
Sadly, some appear to have not a clue . . . to quote Bob Dylan - again - "the times they are a changin' . . . ":(RG

In this part of Canada, gunsmiths are very rare. I ordered a prefit Shillen barrel from Mystic Precision and got an answer this week saying there shouldn't be anythin wrong with my chamber, to compare my fired cases with other shooter's cases, that they have been selling them for 20 years without any issue.
Do you think If I shipped you a fired case you could tell there if there is a problem ? To me, not being able to fill the case with more than 29.5 grains of IMR4198 when other fellow shooters can fill around 34.7 grains of the same powder is not normal. We're talking a 5 grain difference and this handicaps me quite a bit here.

You need to use H4198 instead of IMR4198 . IMR4198 is a long stick powder where H4198 is a short kernel. Most everyone uses H4198 or LT30 with 110 to 118 grain Bullets

Everything's fine with my 30BR now. I ended up measuring my chamber length using this method:

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2018/03/how-to-craft-your-own-chamber-length-gauge/

Dave Kiff (who does the chamber reaming for Pacific Tools) sent me 3 possible reamer prints my chamber might match. My chamber is 1.525" long like one of the drawings says.
Using cerrosafe, my chamber neck OD is .330". Expanded 6BR cases with K & M .243 to .270 AND .270 to .308. Trimmed necks to .010" thick, necksized with Custom made Lee Collet Die which sizes to .325" OD, which gives me a .003" neck tension. Annealing helps a lot. I now have more satisfying groups. I will compete this summer.
I made myself a benchrest gunstock out of walnut, bedded using both JB Weld and pillars which improved accuracy a lot. As much as I hated this caliber, as much I love it now.
Next time I need to form more brass, I'll give fireforming 6BR to 30BR directly without bullets a try .
Thanks to all for their tips; it sure helped me a lot.
Dan

Last edited:
Back